Taking my Strom for its first track days. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking Taking my Strom for its first track days.

I have just booked 2 track days at the end of next week - I'm really looking forward to see how the bike will behave when pushed to the limit.

Before the track days I'll replace the Battle Wings with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3.
The BW's are fine for road use, but I'm not so sure that they can handle a weekend of abuse on a track - besides that I'm not entirely comfortable with the way they behave when I ride them to the edge.

If I survive the weekend I'll give you my 2p about the PR3 and how the Strom handles on a track.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Heya, when you;ve done the track day, do let us know how the Pilot Road 3's handle on the V-strom!

I'm gonna replace the stock tyres too and since I probably won't be taking it off road any time soon am looking for dedicated road tyres like the PR3's.

Most importantly, do they have good grip in really wet conditions?

I was thinking of the Anakee 2 tyres as they have a great following on the UK V-strom forums and are the ones Mitchelin recommend for the V-strom, but I'm starting to wonder if I need a dual sport tyre.

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #3 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd like to do one also. Make sure to take pictures!

I did some sport bike type riding and I noticed in the 80 mph sweepers the handling was a bit sketchy, so I raised the forks in the triples about 1/2". Seems to have made it handle a bit better.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

But the pilot road 3's don't come in a 19" front?
findTyre - motorcycle.michelin.com.au

I just took my DRZ to my first trackday, it was great fun!

I run Pilot Road 2's on it, and I find they aren't any better than the stock Vstrom tyres. I was getting quite a bit of sliding and chatter from the front end.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
/TRA-Members_Photos/pneumatic/SWS-17th-June-2012/s_sws052.JPG[/img]
Think you can get them in a 19". I think there has just been a problem with Michelin updating their website.

110/80-19 (59V) Michelin | 97.00 Pilot Road 3 Front | Motorcycle Tyres: TyreTec UK

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice pictures! Now I REALLY want to get the DL out on the track.

I used Bridgestone BT023's for the SV and really liked them. Looks like they make a 19" front tire! I may have to try them sometime.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
findTyre - motorcycle.michelin.com.au
You can get the PR3 for the Strom:
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Review - webBikeWorld

They make a speciel "Trail" version of it for adventure bikes.

Alternativ similar tires for the Strom could be:
Dunlop Roadsmart II
Continental Road attack 2

I've been doing track days on my street bikes several times a year for the last 10 years.
Last year it was on a CB1000R - the Strom may not be as fast, but I believe it will be just as much fun.

This is why I'm replacing the BW's:

When BT16's looks like that, I can imagine how BW's would look like after the same treatment...

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:

Last edited by Don_T; 06-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

PR3 Trail fits the bike well.

I fitted the tires 3 days ago and so far I'm very pleased with the way the Strom handles with its new shoes.
They are superior when riding spirited on winding roads and on (mostly dry) forrest trails and gravel roads they deliver decent grib on par with the BW's.

- 5 days to track time... I can't wait

post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking Great weekend.

Friday afternoon the Strom was loaded with my track gear and other necessities for a weekend away from home.
From my home I had a 550km (340miles) ride in front of me to reach the track, located in neighboring Sweden.
To avoid arriving too late at night, I took the highway most of the way keeping the cruising speed at around 150km/h (93mph). The bike handled the speed well but got a bit thirsty - 16-17km/l (37-40mpg).

Last pitstop before arriving at the track:

After a pleasant 5 hours ride (including 2 fuel stops and dinner) I could park the bike in a pit garage at Mantorp Park, unpack it and make it ready for the next two days of track riding.

The Strom in bad company:

Besides one Speed Triple my Strom was the only bike (out of 120-150) at the track that was not a RR machine so my arrival attracted bit of attention :biggrinjester:

The next day was warm and sunny - perfect conditions for some track day fun.

Out on the track the Strom handled surprisingly well.
With a top speed at around 190km/h (118mph) most of the other rides blasted past me on the straits, but by braking late and pushing the Strom in the corners I managed to set faster lap times than several of the other riders.

There was especially two things that impressed me with the Strom:
1. The brakes provided really good feedback and never faded.
2. It was boths agile and stable in the corners - even when pushed to the tires grip limit.

Mantorp Park is a track that is especially hard on the right hand side of the tires - this is what the rear looked like after the first day of riding:

There was a lot of crashes the first day - luckily I was not involved in any of them. One of my friends was not that lucky.
What was left of his R6 after a +200km/h (125mph) crash:

The evening was spend drinking beer and watching MotoGP from Assen on a big screen.

The next day the weather was still warm, but with an overcast sky and occasionally light showers.
As I was running PR3 street tires, these conditions hardly affected my lap times contrary to the majority of the other rides who ran on slicks.

Ready for the second day on the track:

Me and some of the other riders in my groupe (which consisted of a total of about 30) just before going out on track:

When I was riding on the track I kept the rpm between 6 and 9.000 most of the time - accelerating and braking hard.
Under these conditions the Strom was doing 15-16km/l (35-37mpg).

After 2 days and about 320km (200miles) of track riding, it was time to pack the bike and head home.

Just as I left the track the sun broke through the clouds and I had a very nice ride home in perfect weather.

My track time on the Strom has left me even more impressed with the bike than I already was. This is a versatile and fun "do it all" bike - it's the kind of bike, where it's really the rider and not the bike that sets the limits for what can be done.

If you ever get the chance to take your Strom for a track day don't hesitate - the bike won't let you down.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice!

Did the ABS ever give you any problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode