Tire air pressure check - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

Tire air pressure check

Hi guys, new here

Sorry if this thing has been dealt before but somehow I couldn't find an answer..
So my question is how often do you check the pressure in your tires?? Or perhaps there is something that would indicate it's high time one should pump it up a bit ? I'm clueless here as I can't imagine myself checking it every second day
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv View Post
Hi guys, new here

Sorry if this thing has been dealt before but somehow I couldn't find an answer..
So my question is how often do you check the pressure in your tires?? Or perhaps there is something that would indicate it's high time one should pump it up a bit ? I'm clueless here as I can't imagine myself checking it every second day
Thanks.
Welcome! This probably could go in the generic maintenance forum, but visually, I check them every time before I ride. With a tire gauge, every 2-3 weeks for me. May be overkill, but at the price of rubber, I can't afford to have bad tire wear due to improper inflation.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #3 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

tire pressure is kinda important, especially on these two wheeled vehicles. When I am riding all day, I will check them at least once a day, or when conditions change. It only takes a minute......

2012 DL650 Adventure

post #4 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I carry a gauge in the trunk so I check them onest in a while. If the bike has been sitting a week or two, I'll check before leaving the garage.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Usually check mine every 2 months or so. They seem pretty consistent

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #6 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

OOps, good idea, 6000 km and never checked...:mrgreen:
post #7 of 20 Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for your replies guys I haven't checked it since I bought it from the new in April / now circa 3000 km / but I guess they checked it on the first service..Better go and do it now
post #8 of 20 Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 AM
$tromtrooper

Pretty much weekly. I lube the chain every other tank of fuel, and check the tires then. I use a bicycle pump. I carry a small Cruz pressure gage all the time.

Especially if you ride early and late in the season, you can get some large ranges. Last time I checked my front I had 26 psi - not too low to be dangerous, but too low to be optimal.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F

Last edited by garandman; 06-19-2012 at 04:15 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I check once a week here.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
post #10 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

check your pressure before each ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen4 View Post
Usually check mine every 2 months or so. They seem pretty consistent
Except when they are leaking. You won't be able to tell from a visual check if you are experiencing a slow leak. A loss of 5 psi a day is significant, but you probably wouldn't know it for several days. That's why it's important to pull out the pencil gauge before each ride (while the tires are cold) and check. Not only will you be able to head off disaster, your tires will last a lot longer too, which means more time and money for you. Remember, the loss of traction in one tire is MUCH more significant on a motorcycle than on a car. I read that all new cars have automatic tire pressure monitors. If it's important for a car with four wheels, don't you think it's important (to check tire pressure often) for a motorcycle with only two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode