Brand new '12 Wee!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Brand new '12 Wee!!

Hello all! I recently picked up a new 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure on June 2 and am absolutely loving it so far! I have about 320 miles on it and had a few questions.

1. Is riding on the highway (40 to 50 miles non-stop) bad for the Wee during the "break in" period? I've been alternating speeds and gears but want to take it on a short trip.

2. I'm a tall rider (6') so I wanted to change the windscreen position. When changing the MadStag windscreen position, I removed the 4 bolts holding the windscreen to the bike and moved it from the middle to the top position. Do the ~ 1/2" rubber bumpers are needed or are they only needed for the middle position?

3. My dealer said that the first 600 mile service would be $283 including parts, labor, and tax. That seems steep and looking at other posts on here, I would be getting ripped off for that much. Thoughts?

Thanks for your responses in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would...

I would change your oil around 500 or so miles...and just drive it. Your dealer is probably going to do the same thing.
Check out your chain and lube it. Check your tire pressure...and go ride it.

My dealer wanted $125 for the first service.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can not figure out why these dealers are charging so much to change the oil? Do they not know that if you treat someone right they will be back? If you treat them wrong they won't.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenezer_13 View Post
Hello all! I recently picked up a new 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure on June 2 and am absolutely loving it so far! I have about 320 miles on it and had a few questions.

1. Is riding on the highway (40 to 50 miles non-stop) bad for the Wee during the "break in" period? I've been alternating speeds and gears but want to take it on a short trip.

2. I'm a tall rider (6') so I wanted to change the windscreen position. When changing the MadStag windscreen position, I removed the 4 bolts holding the windscreen to the bike and moved it from the middle to the top position. Do the ~ 1/2" rubber bumpers are needed or are they only needed for the middle position?

3. My dealer said that the first 600 mile service would be $283 including parts, labor, and tax. That seems steep and looking at other posts on here, I would be getting ripped off for that much. Thoughts?

Thanks for your responses in advance!!
1/. Riding for 50 miles should not be a problem with more than 300 miles on the engine, check this site for break in procedures, there are alternate ways but the first 200 miles are the most critical.

2/. Just put the rubber bungs back in the spare holes once you move the windshield.

3/. Change the oil filter as well when you do the first service and buy the Suzuki Oil filter wrench ($10.00-$12.00) if you do not have a suitable filter wrench already.

Just because a dealer charges $200+ for the first service does not mean they are ripping anyone off, that's just what they charge, it's the cost of running a business, but if they charge that much and are incompetent, that's another conversation.
I also have the option to negotiate what I get for the service which usually includes extras that are not required that jack the price up, so ask if there is any thing you can do yourself to lower the cost or that are mandatory to maintain the warranty, most shops are honest enough when asked, if not get yourself trained and do the service yourself.

Enjoy your new ride.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had to go on a trip and my 600 miles would have been passed while away. The dealer said its better to go over the 600 miles rather than change the oil before as the bike has not finished running in. Although you shouldn't go over 1000 miles.

Changing oil is super easy and well worth learning to do yourself.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

One dealer in town wanted to charge nearly $300 for the initial service. So I called around and found one that would do it for $115. I would suggest you do the same, or, like everyone is saying, learn to do it yourself. You'll save some cash and gain some skills. But definitely don't pay over $200 for it.

2012 WeeStrom
1994 DR650
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was charged 122.00 for service -- hope that helps.

It took them 2 hours.

2012 650, Centerstand, lower cowl, accessory plug, grip protectors, hot grips, fork brace, mirror extenders, crash bar, auxiliary lighting front and rear, madstad, California Scientific medium windshield.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom73 View Post
I was charged 122.00 for service -- hope that helps.

It took them 2 hours.
I would think the time spent working on your bike for this service was 15mins... No doubt time spent behind the wall where you couldn't see was 2hours !

My 1st service cost me $13 for a gal on Shell Rotella 15w40 & $8 for the Suzuki oil filter and the time spent 15 minutes

Doug K9CRT
Decatur, IL
Member Of The Infamous Springfield Milers BMW Club
Yamaha Super Tenere 2013
DL 650 K11 (Black Wee)
DL 650 K9 (Orange Wee) traded
DL 1000 02 traded
Cage ** Honda S2000 Roadster**
post #9 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug44 View Post
I would think the time spent working on your bike for this service was 15mins... No doubt time spent behind the wall where you couldn't see was 2hours !

My 1st service cost me $13 for a gal on Shell Rotella 15w40 & $8 for the Suzuki oil filter and the time spent 15 minutes
And you have a quart left over for the next oil change. I also torque everything down per the manual, but I have no idea if a dealer would!

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
1/. Riding for 50 miles should not be a problem with more than 300 miles on the engine, check this site for break in procedures, there are alternate ways but the first 200 miles are the most critical.
I recently read about a theory of running the engine HARD right out of the box to break it in. The theory is that the increased pressures will seat the piston rings to the bores quickly, thereby producing a higher compression engine. It's the opposite of manufacturer's recommendations, and converts swear it works better.

Bottom line: in the grand scheme of things - and particularly on a bike known for engine longevity - I wonder how much this break-in stuff really matters. Maybe I've condemned myself to engine failure at 125k miles instead of 200k. It's not likely I'll notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
break-in , madstad , maintenance , windshield mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode