Missing my Vee - Tenere not the same.. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Missing my Vee - Tenere not the same..

About a month ago, I traded in my '08 VEE with 17,000 miles on a new Yamaha Super Tenere. I can honestly say that I LOVED my Vee. I'm still not there with the Tenere. I now have 2500 miles on the Tenere, and from a specification and build standpoint, it is a great bike. Why am I missing the Vee? For one, the Vee was an all day comfortable bike for me. Even with a lot of changes the Tenere still gives me back pain. The thing I really miss is FUN FACTOR. What is it about the Vee that make you smile every time you ride it??

Coming to terms with the fact that I may have made a mistake buying the Tenere, I am already starting to think about the new 650. I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borghi View Post
I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650.
Oh well, that leaves me out.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yours is truly a sad tale. Lose the one you love for the one you lust after and find the change to be disappointing.
The new stuff is always intriguing until the warts start to show. Just Dang.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have you seen the ST worldcrosser??

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
$tromtrooper

Personally, I'm in no rush to go to a shaft-drive bike unless I'm heading for another coast.

By next year the "Mega Adventure Touring" should likely include the water-cooled BMW 1250GS, Triumph Explorer, S10, and word is that KTM is also working on a similar bike. Not to mention the Stelvio 1200 STX with its' 8.5 gallon tank. Pretty soon there will be more Adventure Posers than HD Pirates at this rate!

I think Suzuki really did a good job on the '12 DL650A. I wish they'd specified higher-ends suspension components, but that's pretty easy to remedy.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
post #6 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I went from a Honda cbr600rr to a Wee 2 and it makes me smile more than the cbr ever did! I have no complaints with it other than my butt going numb after an hour...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8
post #7 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Look on the bright side....at least you're not paying the Vee alimony.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Me too

I went from wee to vee to Tiger 1050. I'm seriously considering a wee or vee again. The tiger is great but has a few little things that are common problems. Chain noise, even with new sprockets and chain, difficult to get rid of wind buffeting, heat on legs in summer, takes high test fuel even though it says it can run on regular, b/s.
I saw a guy with a spankin new Tenere at the gap this year. Impressive looking bike but just too big and heavy in my book.
I feel for ya bro, just part of the affliction.................live and learn.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
About a month ago, I traded in my '08 VEE with 17,000 miles on a new Yamaha Super Tenere. I can honestly say that I LOVED my Vee. I'm still not there with the Tenere. I now have 2500 miles on the Tenere, and from a specification and build standpoint, it is a great bike. Why am I missing the Vee? For one, the Vee was an all day comfortable bike for me. Even with a lot of changes the Tenere still gives me back pain. The thing I really miss is FUN FACTOR. What is it about the Vee that make you smile every time you ride it??

Coming to terms with the fact that I may have made a mistake buying the Tenere, I am already starting to think about the new 650. I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!
Before you rush and do another mistake:
Ask yourself honestly - why did I sell the bike that I loved?

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2011 DL-650A, Now owned by another stromtrooper
-----------------------------------------------------
Stromputer - https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/73806-stromputer-alive.html
Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!
Wife bought the 2012, I stil have my '08, and she kept her Versys '08.
I've ridden the new wee a couple times, has great acceleration, feels like it just want to run for ever. The oem seat feels more comfortable at the begining, but I think it needs either an alaska pad or modification. The cluster is fine, controls are at the left finger where we have the Flash switch on older wee's. New shield is like any stock product, you like it or don't. Madstadt has a bracket that allows us to use older model shields, a big plus since the new shield is bolted differently. Some aftermarket products still bolt on, ( Crash Bars, skid plates, ). You need to research other items. In all this is a nice bike, by the end of riding season or next year more farkles should be available.

FB MEMBER #133 - 2008 Wee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode