Tents. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Tents.

Would like some advice on 2 person lightweight tents i have another trip coming up and a bit confused as to shape size make etc any advice would be very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are a lot of opinions but if you are going two up I would get at least a three man tent, as the "man" rating seems to be for very small people.

I have used cheap tents in the past but waking up with a few inches of water inside made me decide to spend the money and get a good tent.

I use an Eureka El Capitan 3 man tent. I like it as it has two doors and two vestibules. It packs smaller than my previous two man Wallmart/Canadian tire special and has way more room. It has proven to be completely water resistant and vents well even in torential downpours without getting wet inside. It packs very small and if I bother I can get the tent in one of my Givi e41 side cases (I generally don't bother though as I prefer to keep things on my back seat.)

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #3 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Cabelas Deluxe XPG will give you the quality of a Northface, Mountain Hardware, Rei, etc. at half the price. It gets excellent reviews (4.7/5.0 for 107 reviews). Look it up at cabelas.com. I have both the one-man and two-man versions and highly recommend it. It sets up very fast, compacts nicely, and has proven to be very water-tight.

[I]When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.[/I]
- C. P. Snow

post #4 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have a eureka timberline which has served me for 30 years.I'm due for a new one and have researched a bit and like the Eureka mountain pass 3 Eureka! Mountain Pass 3XTE Tent, 29055 | Backpacking Tents | Tents | GEAR | items from Campmor. I agree with previous poster about getting a 3 man.Aluminum poles are a better choice also.
post #5 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2wheeler View Post
I have a eureka timberline which has served me for 30 years.I'm due for a new one and have researched a bit and like the Eureka mountain pass 3 Eureka! Mountain Pass 3XTE Tent, 29055 | Backpacking Tents | Tents | GEAR | items from Campmor. I agree with previous poster about getting a 3 man.Aluminum poles are a better choice also.
I, too, have a Eureka Timberline, and it is about 30 years old. Still works, no tears, but starting to show its age. I will replace it with another Timberline. Last time I looked, Bass Pro Shops had them in stock for $189. I paid quite a bit more for mine years ago.

79 GS1000S
97 TL1000S
2005 DRZ400
2005 KDX220R
2007 DLK
2009 KLR650
2007 FJR1300
2007 Honda XR650L
post #6 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had various tents over the years but now that i have a bike i can camp with, i needed to lighten things up and my back doesn't deal well with sleeping on the ground like it used to. So i went with a camping hammock from ENO. It's got a bug net, rainfly, sleeps two, and packs up smaller than a football. I haven't spent the night in this yet but have hung out in it on the porch and it's comfy enough for two and i know several ultralight hikers who swear by them. I plan to visit the dragon next weekend and will be camping so maybe i'll review it.

You can piece these together but i went for a complete package that comes in a nice compression sack.

Onelink Sleep System w/ Doublenest from Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc. - Lightweight Outdoor Hammock, Guardian Bug Net, Rain Tarp with Stakes and Slap Straps.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 10 yr old REI half dome is reported to be a two man tent but I manage to fill it up with all the gear I prefer to keep inside. The rain fly's don't qualify as storage to me.
REI does have an outlet, reduced price section on the web site.
Happy shopping.
The more you pay for a tent the longer they seem to hold up though. Some offer life time warrantys too. Some friends have had good results from repairs long after they bought them.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops View Post
Would like some advice on 2 person lightweight tents i have another trip coming up and a bit confused as to shape size make etc any advice would be very welcome.
Tent buying can be a complex task. First, you should decide on price point. You start with low end beach tents that can be had at wal-mart for $39. The have tarp floor fiberglass poles & tiny flies. The are not dry in a deluge and the poles will shred in a few years.

Next you have the mid range stuff like cabelas & eureka. You should get decent aluminun ploles & a full coverage fly. Usually, with well sealed seams, they will be dry, but they won't be the lightest or most compact.

Then you come to the high to top end makers (Marmott, Sierra Design, Mountain Hardware, Bibler, MSR, Big Agness and more ). These are made with the lightest and best materials and have the latest designs. If you are going to use the tent a lot, I would go high end.

Next you should decide what you require for space inside the tent. As mentioned, a three person can be way more comfortable for two people than a two person. If you plan to keep any significant amount of gear in the tent and two people, you'll need a three man.

Next, you may want ponder what you really mean by lightweight. The lightest of the light tents strip away a lot of convenience & comfort features to save weight. Also, because of the use of esoteric fabrics to save weight they can be much less durable and require greater care. Finally, many ultra lights are not free standing (requiring stakes to be set up). I would never buy a tent that is not freestanding. In addition, to requiring stakes, once pitched, they can't easily be moved and are harder to get the dirt out after a nights camp on the beach. That said, even a freestanding tent should be staked whenever possible.

You should also consider how strong a tent do you need. 3 season tents work for all but the most vicious of weather. 4 season tents, if properly pitched, can handle a significant storm on Denali. 3 & half season tents offer features like zip up windows for cold weather/privacy and some extra tie down points.

Were it me, I would trade off a few oz's for some convenience features. Double doors and vestibules (dry storage outside the tent) are very nice with two people. A little more nylon vs mesh offers way more privacy when you don't use a fly.

This would be a deluxe 2/3 person super light compact moto tent. Double doors. Three person space, pretty good privacy & super light 4.5 lbs for $500.

It'd be my first choice.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...perSpurUL32012

This is among the lightest 2.3 lbs:

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]

Last edited by glasswave; 06-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.
post #9 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Bigger tent happier campers

Eureka or Kelty are good choices. Clips rather than sleeves make setup a lot easier, and I would suggest at least a four man for two people. I camp by myself in a Eureka Tetregon 9, a six man tent I paid $100 for that allows me to stand up and have a lot of room for all my stuff. I can even put a folding chair up. It packs just a little larger than my four man Kelty.
post #10 of 35 Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure about a DL650 - 2012+ specific tent, but you might look here and here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode