Most comfortable passenger backrest and topcase? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Most comfortable passenger backrest and topcase?

I'm a new member posting for the first time.

The choices for topcases is huge, and a bit overwhelming to me.

I have the means to buy the "best" quality, and that can be a "squishy" term. Best to me includes a comfortable backrest for my wife when we ride two-up.

I see many pictures of fitment on this site, but little in the way of discussion about what the SO (Sig Other) thinks about the ride.

I'm asking for recommendations of top case equipment that includes what a passenger might consider to be "comfortable".

I guess I should mention other things that would be important to me for selection. I'm very handy with tools, so a complicated install does not shoo me away, but ease of install is a big plus (bewildering array of mounting plate adaptors). Eventual install of panniers / side cases planned, so I would likely desire their side cases in future. 45L+ top case is where I'm leaning, might settle for 35L+ if 45L too big to provide a comfortable backrest. Lighted in back for brake / turn signals. She likes "organic" looking moulded, rounded cases. I prefer square (TraK-like) for the utility and increased storage capacity, but I also think the pics I've seen of the square ones would likely be very uncomfortable for a passenger, with or without a back rest pad (and I could very well be wrong about that).

I bought the non-adventure model, stock.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the OEM Suzuki (Trax) cases. My wife finds the top case comfortable to lean against (she does have an armoured jacket with foam back pad and this pad probably provides all the comfort needed). I also purchased the foam back rest that fits on the top of the case acting to shield the pillion from the case hinges, although it may not have been needed. A lot may depend on rider size though....for your reference...she is 5ft 6, 125 pounds....I am 6ft, 175 pounds.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)

Last edited by nuke; 06-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Folks with different brands of factory boxes have had the latching mechanisms fail. Some after market units are not inspiring in this regard either. I wouldn't trust a top box that wasn't bolted to the base as a back rest. Lots of stress when being pushed on by the passenger. It's always embarrassing to loose a passenger.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Givi E45 topcase. I did not buy the backrest that goes with it because my wife's jacket has a backpad in it.
I wanted her to try that first before spending money on the topcase backrest.
She's comfortable with just the pad in her jacket when she leans on the topcase, so no further money needed to be spent.
She doesn't lean that heavily on the case however...it just provides a little support for her instead of having nothing there at all.

2012 Vstrom 650

Last edited by hckioki; 06-07-2012 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Agree with Hckioki
Passenger does not really exert much pressure on the top case and tends to lean forwards. A good jacket with foam backpad is probably all that is needed.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #6 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the factory trax box on order so as to match the side cases. Had a JC Whitney box on my 09 with no pad. Wife never complained about it. She leaned forward most of the time. She also always wears a riding jacket so there is some padding in it.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
Agree with Hckioki
Passenger does not really exert much pressure on the top case and tends to lean forwards. A good jacket with foam backpad is probably all that is needed.
My thoughts too, plus a back rest uses up wiggle space for the pillions area. I'll be putting on some erosion tape though in case the missus wants to lean back onto the H & B Gobi top box.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

top box

have had a number of top box,s , have had one with a pad on it my wife did not like ,said it pushed her to far ahead . Have rode 10s of thousands of miles with out the backrest pad with no complaint,s. My wife also wears a jacket with back Armour.

The real truth of the matter is that V-Stroms are like orange popsicles ... kind of generic and unexciting, but on a nice warm day - everybody loves them
post #9 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My wife routinely uses an armored jacket, too. ATGATT.

...and thanks so much for the kindness of the replies. It's a very different experience from another forum (for a different motorcycle type, a sports bike) that I attempt to interact on. Very different...
post #10 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Another factor - I use the inexpensive, but nice, Bestem 929 top box, and modified the mounting plate so the box sits about 2" further back than it 'normally' would. I suppose one could do this with any top-box. This provides my Wife with a roomier sitting area, and she can still lean back onto the box when she's in sightseeing mode. Her riding jacket back pad (she uses a nice semi-meshy Scorpion ladies riding jacket) is really quite sufficient for comfort.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode