handle bar risers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

handle bar risers

I now have about 700 miles on the bike and I'm thinking that something needs to be done with the position of my hands - and consequent position of my upper arms/shoulders.

Let me explain. I feel too extended and find myself "resting" my arms from apparent fatigue by sliding my but all the way forward into the gas tank.

I tried holding my clutch hand in various places and find that just hanging one by the ends of my fingers allows my shoulders to relax.

Ergo experts - does that tell you anything about the layout vs. my body position?

I'm just under 6' tall (I also find that the ground is just in reach - which is a different issue).

To make the arms feel better, I'm considering 1st to try simply rotating the bars back towards me slightly. Then maybe risers if I still feel unnatural.

Of course, the other option is to wait another 2k miles and see if I physically mold into the bike. At the rate I'm going that is only 4-5 weeks away.

Since I'm posting here, obviously I'm interested to hear any of your thoughts about this.

Great bike, IMHO, in any event!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
$tromtrooper

I read a while ago that the way to figure out your riding position was to sit with feet on the pegs, close your eyes and reach out to where your hands would comfortably reach the bars. Then open your eyes and see where the bars actually are.

That takes some good friends you TRUST to hold the bike upright, or a centerstand, while you do the test. Not sure the body really can adjust while on the sidestand.

Anyway.... for your example and my interpretation of your riding position based on your post, I would consider Rox Risers to move the bars back and up a bit.

I'm 6'3" and like the fit of the bike, it is much tighter in the legb than my KLR but the reach is similar to when I put 3/4" risers and Protatper ATV Mid bars on my KLR.

If you don't want to spend cash, I suggest you ride and allow yourself to adjust to the bike. Learning to use your core to support yourself, and developing the muscles to use your legs and torso to maintain a comfortable riding position takes some time, even if you've been riding for a long time, a new bike requires some adjustment time. Nothing wrong with hugging the tank and relaxing down low behind the windscreen on longer runs. :mrgreen:

TW

Last edited by DSRider650; 06-06-2012 at 08:01 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Being 5'7" with a 29" inseam, my bike was to tall for me from the start.....I knew that when I bought it. The first thing I did was lower it 11/8 of an inch in the rear, with Kouba Links" and 3/4 inch in the front by raising the forks....an easy job on both ends. I rode it for awhile (1000 mi) and decided to do something with the handlebars. I bought the Rox Riser handlebar risers, one inch up and one inch back.......to me it's a completely different bike. I haven't ridden the bike yet due to 6 days of rain, but I'm going to try it tomorrow come hell or high water.........stay tuned,,,,,,,,,TD

2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
2012 V Strom 650 Fox orange
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, old mans crotch rocket
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV green
N1ATF
Spot 3

post #4 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I found that rotating the bars slightly up was better for me. I have up & back risers and like that position. You might need to re-route some cables and buy a brake hose extension.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

DSRider650 was correct. That is how I have always done it. For me it worked out that I got the GenMar risers. I am 6' with 29 inseam so also will lower the bike next. After putting on the risers it was perfect and took all the pressure off the wrists and that with my Cee Baileys windshield the air hits right at the top of my helmet which in turn goes right into the vents.

Respectfully, Doug
post #6 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I didn't need to change anything other than move the brake hose around a little.......Like I said I haven't ridden it yet but I don't see where anything is going to bind......by lowering the front a little I think that gives a little more leeway with the brakeline.......TD

N1ATF
Spot 3
post #7 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the Cee Baileys windshield will be my next purchase.....not too sure on which height yet...22" maybe ??.....TD

N1ATF
Spot 3
post #8 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Tusk 30mm risers from Ebay... $19.98 - Free Shipping, no hoses/brake lines to buy.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdick View Post
Being 5'7" with a 29" inseam, my bike was to tall for me from the start.....I knew that when I bought it. The first thing I did was lower it 11/8 of an inch in the rear, with Kouba Links" and 3/4 inch in the front by raising the forks....an easy job on both ends. I rode it for awhile (1000 mi) and decided to do something with the handlebars. I bought the Rox Riser handlebar risers, one inch up and one inch back.......to me it's a completely different bike. I haven't ridden the bike yet due to 6 days of rain, but I'm going to try it tomorrow come hell or high water.........stay tuned,,,,,,,,,TD
I did exactly the same with my '06 Wee. Much more comfortable and the bike seems to handle better. Could be I am just more relaxed. Makes a world of difference.

Earl

2006 Red Wee Strom
1984 Honda VT500FT Ascot
post #10 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is another thread that talks all about this.
I put 2" pivoting Rox Risers on my 2012 wee. I only had to re-route the cables to make it work. Amazing difference in comfort. Best $80 farkle so far.
I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I also added Rickland Ricks' Footpeg lowering kit. Perfect combo, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode