Rolling off in 2nd Gear - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rolling off in 2nd Gear

Lately I have got into the habit of rolling off from lights or stop signs in 2nd gear, I tried it because I was experiencing not so smooth get aways as I went from 1st into 2nd, partly my boots and partly the new gearbox.
Do you see any issues with this? I can achieve it with a slight feathering of the clutch and it makes for one less gear change when going from light to light when in the city.

Any thoughts comments?

BTW my bike has about 2,000 Km on now and the gearbox has got alot smoother, infact some gear changes 3-4, & 4-5 are buttery smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Living the Stereotype

It's a great way to insure the premature demise of your clutch.

By how many miles who knows?

There are many factrors to consider, traffic, terrain, cheeseburgers.

It also enhance your chances of stalling just as you're pulling out into traffic.

By the way, I do it downhill.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
post #3 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't recommend.. I only have 800 miles and my gearbox seems to have really settled in and the shifting is smooth as butter. Slap that bitch in 1st gear and pull away.

2012 DL650A
Tusk 1' Risers
Catz Gold Iridium Bulbs

post #4 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would use 1st gear - as intended

I would use 1st gear - as intended by the designer

I hate changign clutches on any vehcile
post #5 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

you could try a G2 excentric cam throttle sleeve kit. You are probably experiencing abrupt off idle throttle response. The excentric rolls the throttle on a little slower off idle.
My KTM was the worst ever for this problem Enough to make me sell the bike and get the Glee Strom.

Just my 2 P
post #6 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you think it feels better taking off in 2nd gear, just go ahead and do it - the clutch can handle a bit of feathering.

Personally I allways use 1st gear when taking off from a stand still on my Strom - it feels right and makes for a quicker acceleration.

BTW - Even from new my 12 Strom had one of the smoothest gearboxes I've ever tried on any bike in my 20 years of riding - now with 5000km on the clock it's even better.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

I do it on occasion when I have a brain fart but it isn't something I would want to make a habit of.

If you are having issues lack of smoothness it comes from technique. In your case the boots may be severely messing you up.. give them time and they should break in. I went through the same thing when I got new boots recently, and also last year when I suddenly had a girlfriend that loved riding with me, the change in postion screwed up my shifting.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

What about tickets ? Oh yeah, and danger...

Won't rolling through lights and stops get you traffic tickets? Watch out with that... and then there's the danger of not coming to a stop when you "should". Not a morality lesson or anything, but getting sideswiped must not be any fun at all. My riding instructor says that on bikes we drop to first for a stop all the time, unlike in a car. Another one said that when you see a stop sign, all you have to think about is what's written on the sign, and where the front of the vehicle should be. Then you can think about who's coming, or when to take off. Too many people roll through (*especially* scooters where I live) for it to be safe for us. You wouldn't want to hurt that pretty new bike, would you?

"The rise in popularity of reality shows has brought people to live experiences second-hand in a context that involves no adventure, no danger... Whereas the road takes you out into the world."
- Walter Salles, about On the Road
post #9 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo34 View Post
Won't rolling through lights and stops get you traffic tickets? Watch out with that... and then there's the danger of not coming to a stop when you "should". Not a morality lesson or anything, but getting sideswiped must not be any fun at all. My riding instructor says that on bikes we drop to first for a stop all the time, unlike in a car. Another one said that when you see a stop sign, all you have to think about is what's written on the sign, and where the front of the vehicle should be. Then you can think about who's coming, or when to take off. Too many people roll through (*especially* scooters where I live) for it to be safe for us. You wouldn't want to hurt that pretty new bike, would you?
I don't think the OP was talking about not stopping at lights or stop signs, but rather rolling on (ie starting off) in second.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Last edited by V-Tom; 06-06-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: speeling
post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
If you think it feels better taking off in 2nd gear, just go ahead and do it - the clutch can handle a bit of feathering.

wintertime riding especially, on snow & ice, I use 2nd, sometimes 3rd on my Vee, with my old SV650, I rode hundreds of miles slipping clutch standing on pegs on single track, also never been one to blip throttle for downshifts, I smooth with clutch, low speed manuvering etc. friction plates lasted 102k, everything else is still original, maybe thats premature, but well worth the expense for the control it gives

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode