Kaoko Throttle-Lock Install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Kaoko Throttle-Lock Install

Just an FYI - I installed the OEM 2012 handguards and the corresponding Koako throttle lock last night. The throttle lock was from Twisted Throttle but isn't listed under "what fits my bike" for the 2012 so I ordered the pre 2012 model based on reading another forum post. Handguards went on well but the lock needed some work. I had to use a dremel with a stone after starting with a round file to grind the interior of the bar slightly wider to accept the mechanism. The weld seam that is accounted for in the lock design was completely gone by the time I was done.

I called the Throtte to chat with them about this and the fella I spoke with has had to use the same process. He mentioned that Kaoko should have one available that fits proper in the future. The lock does seem to work well.

Viva La Strom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Kaoko is a great company; they're very responsive to customer needs. They made one just for people who upgrade to ProTaper bars, so I'm sure it won't be long at all before they have a 2012-specific throttle-lock out.

Go hakafugu yourself.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Call me lazy, but I think I am going to hold out for the 2012 model.

2012 - V-Strom 650 Adventure
2008 - V-Strom 650 - Sold

post #4 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to chad_nc Send a message via MSN to chad_nc Send a message via Yahoo to chad_nc
I have one on my 06 that was there when I bought it. I might have used it three times. I would let someone have it if they want to uninstall it .

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

06 DL1000 Maroon, A few of the common farkles
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
post #5 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hey "Lazy", I'm with you on this one. On a good note it did take me three IPAs to complete the job!

post #6 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

What part number did TT send you? I tried the same thing but the Kaoko was completely incorrect. Factory hand guards and Heater grips.
FYI, When I tried to return it to TT I had to fight to get tht retun shipping coverd.Not my fault the kit they sent was incorrect. Additionally I ate the inbound shipping for their experiment. Not a happy camper!
post #7 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Toytech - the SKU#: KAO.VS1000UW. Note that I don't have heated grips on the bike though.

I haven't had to return anything to them but had heard they are OK to work with. Your post might have me shopping a wider market next time.

'07 DR650
'14 Indy 800SP
'14 DL1000

Last edited by VTOD; 06-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

VS1000uw. That is the number on the kit sent. Nothing I could reasonably do to make it fit. Diameters wrong, lengths and spacing all wrong. I could have ground down the inner weld inside the bar but that would only correct the ID fitment.
Because I got stuck with the shipping it is/was my last TT purchase.
I hope they are out there listening.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Kaoko for welded bars

Just got mine in the mail and it has a flat side on the bar insert for welded hb's. Replacing my Go Cruise with a Kaoko.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I too recently installed the Kaoko throttle lock on my 2012 DL-650. There is a flat on the locking cam that's meant to go over the welded area inside the handlebar. I positioned mine as such and it went in without a hitch.

I love using this thing! No more numb right hand and arm pain now that I have the poor man's cruise control!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode