Hepco becker Bags - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hepco becker Bags

Well I got my set of these bags and the racks tonight.

Hepco-Becker Junior Flash Japanese Enduro Saddlebag Set-Capital Cycle

The install wasn't too bad but................. They want you to move the blinkers to a cheesy bracket that puts them further back becuase they interfere with the quick lock tabs. That in itself wouldn't be too bad, but now the wires are too short and they tell you to to push them in between the taillight lens and the plastic piece and connect the wires. ???????????????WTF??? I feel like I must be missing something.......How could a set of bags and racks that cost $900 ++ be so fubar?

I can't find the instructions online at the moment, or I would post them. I'll keep looking. I know I saw them before I bought them, but I didn't pay attention to the blinkers. I can machine up something to keep them close to stock, just hoping someone else has seen this. I think i'll call the merchant I bought them from too.

Anyone else run across this?

Chappyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Same problem.

Chappyd,

I bought the Hepco & Becker XPlorer side cases and had the same problems. You have to splice extensions on the turn signal wires because there is no way they will connect otherwise. As far as the directions go they were extremely poor. Many of the photos were from the older VStrom and in areas where there are differences between the models. In some of the diagrams there was absolutely no way you were getting the brackets to fit as shown. I had written Capital Cycles about all of the issues. When I went to the International Motorcycle Show in Charlotte, NC I saw the Hepco and Becker booth and talked to them about it. It was obvious that Capital Cycles had forwarded the email I wrote to them. The question is are they ever going to do anything about it? I mounted my side cases back in February. So over three months have passed and the fact that you are having a problem isn't a good sign. Especially when you consider how cheap and easy the fix is. All Hepco and Becker needs to do is include a pair of 6 inch extension wires for the turn signal wires. Maybe that is expecting to much though. A real shame when you consider what Hepco and Becker stuff cost.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

What did you do to solve the problem?

If I keep these bags and set up, I plan to make a custom stand off to mount to the original blinker mounts. The wire should reach ok, as it will only be about a 1/2" difference. I'll call Capital myself this am and let you know what they say.

Chappyd.

post #4 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Not satisfied.

I called Capital today, explained the problem and was told by Alan (owner) that he would do some research and get back to me. That call never came. Later in the day I called again, and spoke with another employee. I again explained the problem. He tried to get Alan to come to the phone, but he was busy The employee stated that if he were in my position he would be upset too. ( our conversation was entirely civil). I told him that I posted on this forum and another fellow had the same issue 3 months ago, the steps he took, and that there was no resolution. Since I had started the installation, returning the items was going to be an issue. He said maybe I should just splice some wires too. I told him I didn't think so, I have a brand new bike and I didn't spend $960 to cobble crap together. I will write to Capital and to Hepco Becker as well, not that I expect it will do any good.

What really gets me is the attitude of the guy on the phone. He admits the product has a fault, and that he would be pissed if he was in my shoes, yet offered absolutley no assistance, essentially, tough s**t.

Hopefully once I create my own solution I'll post some pictures.

Chappyd
post #5 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The SW-Motech Quick Lock mounts also require moving the turn signals. It's not uncommon.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hate to be a bugger... But when you buy the bags from Suzuki you get the extension for the wires in the kit . I am sure they are packed right from hepco-becker so they should be able to supply you wth the proper wire extensions to do the job ....Not to worry there are people out there that can do a proper wire extension job as well if they cant get you the parts in time for you to use the bike... best of luck..

Sometimes making a wrong turn just makes the ride that much better ,,, go an extra mile it`s not so crowded there!
post #7 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Chappyd,

I had to splice extension wires to get the turn signal connected. There is no other way. It would have saved me so much time if they had either included extension wires in the installation kit or told you in the instructions that you would need to splice the wires. Instead I waisted almost an hour trying all kinds of ways to get the wires connected. I seriously question whether Hepco and Becker ever installled these mounts on a 2012 DL650 before placing them on the market. And that is the real problem here. Hepco and Becker stuff cost far too much to be having problems like this.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpster87 View Post
Hate to be a bugger... But when you buy the bags from Suzuki you get the extension for the wires in the kit . I am sure they are packed right from hepco-becker so they should be able to supply you wth the proper wire extensions to do the job ....Not to worry there are people out there that can do a proper wire extension job as well if they cant get you the parts in time for you to use the bike... best of luck..
Maybe that's why they get more $$$
post #9 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The SW-Motech Quick Lock mounts also require moving the turn signals. It's not uncommon.
It's not just the fact that you have to move the signals- their solution is..... well sloppy at best. It actually goes over the tailight/ brake light to a small degree. And then add the FACT that the instructions tell you to route the wires between the tail light lens and the plastic housing is ridiculous. The wires will be pinched.

I've been a machinist for 30+ years, and I have a bridgeport in the garage. I've been out there this evening roughing out what I think will be a rather elegant solution. I'm making some aluminum blocks that will move the signals back about 5/8" and up about 5/16" to clear the luggage mounts and the 40L bag. We'll see how it turns out.

I just thought that for that kind of $$ they would have done their homework. That's all.

Chappyd
post #10 of 27 Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Touratech racks also need the lights moving, allegedly. There's a nice diagram in the instructions that are on this page:

Pannier Racks for Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom from 2012, black | Touratech Ltd

TT USA doesn't seem to have them for sale on their site yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode