This thing is sublime - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking This thing is sublime

I've had my standard since the end of February and can't believe what a good bike this is. The motor is smooth, pulls more than a 650 should, and has a bit of that growly V-twin sound and the ergos are good. The only change I've made so far is a CalSci windshield and I have some risers, a centerstand, and the lower cowling coming next week. I'm a bit baffled that people talk about how boring this bike is and how it has no soul. This thing's a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree. Got my ADV in early April and it is a great bike. Have put on 2000 miles with no overnight trips yet, and can't wait to do something longer this summer.

2012 650 V-strom ADV
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
post #3 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharuma View Post
I'm a bit baffled that people talk about how boring this bike is and how it has no soul. This thing's a keeper.
This comment is kinda funny, considering I just got my Cycle World in the mail, and their monthly theme is bikes with character.

I too believe the Strom is a funky weird and wonderful bike with lots of charm, unlike the mass media that considers it to be a dull boring commuter.....they couldn't be further off the mark.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Agree with all. Every time I ride my '12 Wee I bond with it more. I have had over 60 bikes and I can say I've never been more attached to a machine. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
This comment is kinda funny, considering I just got my Cycle World in the mail, and their monthly theme is bikes with character.

I too believe the Strom is a funky weird and wonderful bike with lots of charm, unlike the mass media that considers it to be a dull boring commuter.....they couldn't be further off the mark.

Exactly, this bike is a lot like a woman. She may not look the sexiest, but once get to know her and take her for a 'ride' you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face. She'll take you places you've never been before...literally

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharuma View Post
I'm a bit baffled that people talk about how boring this bike is and how it has no soul. This thing's a keeper.
I can almost understand why people say it has no soul. Every time I ride, the single thought that keeps coming back is "neutral". It feels like it's a reflection of whomever is riding it in a way that is completely unlike some Ducati's or BMWs...the bike is perfectly happy doing whatever you want it to do. Slow, fast, twisty, straight line, off road, on road, superslab, back roads, whatever you want it to do - it does. So if you've got no soul, the bike will be a perfect reflection of that.

Maybe more fairly put, if you're relying on a bike to determine how you ride, then maybe a v-strom isn't the bike for you.

If you're the kind of guy that needs a red Italian monster between your legs to tell you "FASTER", then the v-strom isn't going to do anything for you. Likewise, if you're the kind of guy that needs to look down at a protruding boxer engine to inspire that long-way-round idolatry, then the v-strom is vanilla.

2012 Suzuki DL650A - "Sherpa" - Tusk 30mm risers, Trailwings front and rear, Barkbuster Storm, Bestem 929 topbox with LEDs and liner, everything else stock.

Daily commuter when weather permits, 25k miles and counting.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
/I too believe the Strom is a funky weird and wonderful bike with lots of charm, unlike the mass media that considers it to be a dull boring commuter.....they couldn't be further off the mark.
Here's what Hell for Leather wrote when the 12 was introduced.

Quote:
The minimal mechanical changes to the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 make it almost too boring to write about. Luckily, you can look at these pictures instead. Unlike the ones that accompanied the original leak, the ones in this leak are very large, so you can see all that plastic in great detail.
And here's what they wrote after riding it for two weeks.

Quote:
What makes a motorcycle good? Is it big horsepower numbers and a long list of novel technology? Its ability to triple the highway speed limit? Is it presence in a TV show or its ability to impress your buddies on a motorcycle forum? This new 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 has none of that. When it leaked last year, we even called it boring. But, after spending over a month on it, that opinion has changed totally. The V-Strom might not be the sexiest motorcycle out there, but it is the most broadly capable weíve ridden.

....The V-Strom 650 is a wonderful motorcycle. Itís fun, fast and easy around town. Itís relaxed and comfy on the highway. Itís great two-up. Itís cheap and it has what are probably the best real-world brakes and most comfy seat in motorcycling. If youíre looking for a practical commuter, tourer or do-it-all, all-weather bike, then look no further. If youíre looking for something that will make you feel special, look further.

Tomorrow, Iím going to get on the V-Strom and ride it to Grantís place across town. Itís going to be fast, comfy and safe on the way over there. But thatís not the ride Iím looking forward to. No, Iím looking forward to the ride back on something far less capable, but far more exciting.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode