Oil Level Check 2012 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Oil Level Check 2012

Hi,
WHich is the most accurate way of checking the oil level: When cold and put on the centre stand for several minutes, the level in the glass is about a third way up from the minimum mark. When I use the suggested Suzuki owners book method, I put the bike on the centre stand, run the engine through the gears for 3 minutes, switch off and leave for 3 minutes, the level is only a fraction above the minimum mark. If I ride the bike for an hour, put it on the centre stand and leave for several minutes, the level is just below the maximum mark. It has been suggested to me that the last method will make it look higher than it really is? I am used to checking levels on other bikes, but never had to top up.The bike has had its 600 mile service, and I didn't notice this issue before this. I don't want to overfill, but of course don't want it too low. If you think it needs a drop, how much do you think? Sorry for the log meander, but I want to get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Anywhere between high and low marks, hot or cold is OK. A millimeter or two up or down makes no difference. Try this...under the conditions where the bike level shows the highest, set the level at the top line. Ride. Have fun. Sleep well at night.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #3 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Run 3 minutes, wait three minutes is what it says in the manual

Seems to work if it's run for more than 3 minutes as well. I'd guess it should be done with both wheels on the ground being that the centre stand is only an option.

post #4 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Putting it on the center stand will make it look higher. I like the convenience of checking on the center stand. I'll fill it so the oil level is at the top of the window and add oil if the level drops to the middle of the window in that configuration.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I'll fill it so the oil level is at the top of the window and add oil if the level drops to the middle of the window in that configuration.(On the center stand)
I've followed that and it works very well.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]

Last edited by greywolf; 06-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm confused about this. My oil level, when on center stand fills up the oil level inspection window, (which sounds like how GreyWolf described.) And when on the side stand, it looks bone dry.

I trust greywolf and the manual (to a lesser degree).

The manual says:
'Hold the motorcycle vertically ........ oil level should be between "L" and "F"

Do I have too much oil?!

Last edited by ryanlraines; 03-26-2014 at 09:24 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Everything you report is normal. You have to have the bike on its tires and hold it straight up and down to use the window marks.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 42 Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

When the bike is on a center stand the rear wheel is off the ground. Plus there are a few different cstands on the market.
Suzukis oil check procedure is for the bike to be vertical. Since at least in the US market it didn't come with a cstand, you can assume that Suzuki is say vertical with both wheels one the ground.

Also make sure where you are doing the check is flat.

I make it a habbit of checking the oil in the same place, just so I am getting the same kind of reading each time.

I run my oil just over half way between the two lines, closer to full.

I checked it both vertically with wheels touching and on the center stand enough to know what the level should be with the bike on the center stand.
But when filling I check the bike while holding it vertical.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlraines View Post
Do I have too much oil?!
A trick I've learnt with sight glasses is if you think you have too much oil in, is to gently lean the bike away from the sight glass, with our bikes its towards the side stand, and see if you can see the top of the oil. The judgement is in knowing how much lean is ok till you see the top of the oil.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

The dealer told me to always check the oil with the bike on its wheels, never on the center stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode