Hooray for me! New, well almost new, 2012!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking Hooray for me! New, well almost new, 2012!!!

Just got back to Salt Lake from Boise late last night with my (almost new) 2012 strom!

I have been searching high & low for a decent deal on a 2012 standard. Everything out here in the west was $8299 plus a myriad of extra charges. There were none at any dealer in UT, NV, WY & MT and I had only found one in far North ID. I had just about resigned myself to heading out to GA to pick one up at a decent price, when, in a stroke of luck, I called the dealer (Carl's Cycle) in Boise. They had just gotten a 2012 back on a trade. How used? Only 36 miles & in factory showroom condition!

Now here comes the best part...

...only $6995.00!

That's gotta be the deal of the century.

I am so stoked! It even came with a full tank! I took it for a warm up ride today. It's going to be a great bike. Soooooo smooth, all the way from 3500 to 9000 rpm hardly any discernible difference in the powerband!

Sorry to be such a braggart, but I am just so psyched that I can't help myself.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice I have received on this board.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]

Last edited by glasswave; 06-01-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sweet deal. Congrats on the new ride.

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html
post #3 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

way to go!

It sounds like you really put in the time to research and look around . Congratulations, you deserve it! You will love that smooth machine.

[COLOR="Orange"]'12 vStrom650[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]'04 KLR650[/COLOR]

post #4 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Didja get the 0% financing too? That may be the DOTC.

Right place, right time....

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sweet!! The dealer could have easily gotten more for that as the wee is still a top selling bike.
Wow, you took it to 9000 RPM? Did the dealer not tell you about the 'Break in' period? You are not supposed to take it over 5K RPM until you hit 500 miles. I know a few people that disagree with this, however, I follow this as it comes from the manufacturer and I want my bike to last. Even now, you read posts about people having strange noises or 'clunks' after 1200 mi, I can bet you that those are the same people that say 'ahhh, you don't need to follow the 'Break in' period' when they first got their wee.

Here is an article stating the reasons for a breakin period
Break in period

Last edited by abb1; 06-01-2012 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I wonder how much of a "bath" the original owner who traded it took and why would anyone trade a bike with such low miles? Congratulations on your purchase, you did great.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2
1982 BMW R100RT
1985 Diamondback Ascent EX
post #7 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wow that is a smoking deal

'09 Wee (sold)
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2006 BMW K1200LT
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Didja get the 0% financing too? That may be the DOTC.
Unfortunately, I had to forgo the 0% financing because the bike was officially "used." Ironically enough, it was really the 0% that got me into thinking that now was the right time to buy a strom.

I still have my bike down in Chile that I had promised myself I would sell before buying anything here. In the end, the savings I received was far more valuable than the 0%, so I paid cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abb1 View Post
Sweet!! The dealer could have easily gotten more for that as the wee is still a top selling bike.
Wow, you took it to 9000 RPM? Did the dealer not tell you about the 'Break in' period? You are not supposed to take it over 5K RPM until you hit 500 miles. I know a few people that disagree with this, however, I follow this ...

Here is an article stating the reasons for a breakin period
Break in period
Yes, this is essentially what I am following. 5 minute warm up then cool down. This included a casual 8 mile ride through the city from my buddy's work, where I unloaded the bike, to my house. Next, was a 15 minute run in first to third gear going from 4000 to 7000 rpm with deliberate but not excessive throttle, interspersed with somewhat strong engine breaking to create vacuum pressure. In the afternoon. I did a third, 15 minute run pushing steadily higher with a few low gear pushes up to 8000. Finally, last night when it was cool I did another, pushing up to 9000 in low gears. I'll do another this morning. Unfortunately, I have no idea how it was ridden for the first 36 miles. I used the stock oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatin View Post
I wonder how much of a "bath" the original owner who traded it took and why would anyone trade a bike with such low miles?
Apparently, the guy's a little eccentric and has done this several times in the past. He got the strom Feb 22nd and last week traded that AND his dr-z in on one of those goofy side by ATV thingies.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats on the new bike.

Go hakafugu yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode