2011 Wee - Upgrade??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2011 Wee - Upgrade???

I looked for a couple hours, but didn't see this anywhere, sry if i'm posting in the wrong spot...

I bought a 2011 Wee last year and I'm considering upgrading(?) to a 2012. I am wondering if the following farkles from my 2011, will work on a 2012?:

1. Factory Hand Guards
2. Factory Center Stand
3. PWD Accessory Shelf
4. Madstad Bracket
5. Givi Windshield
6. Mirror Extenders

I'd also like to elicit some opinions (gulp). I'm 5'10", 29" inseam, on the heavier side. I have a bad hip that has been fixed/replaced. I really like my Wee, not sure I'm in love with it. I love the engine, satisfied with the brakes. Stock suspension dives too much to my liking when stopping. After riding for 15 or 20 minutes my hands go numb. I feel like the seat back where it curves to the passenger section need to be about and inch or 2 further back along with the handlebars. Even with the Madstad and Givi windshield, I can't get rid of the wind buffeting.

I know I can solve some of this with:
1. After market seat, lower pegs, add highway pegs, and lower suspension front and back along with a 2" Rox for the handlebars.
2. A different windshield, perhaps Givi AF260

I've test driven a couple "forward control" bikes, but I've never been a "Harley" type guy. (Harley VStar Boulevard Vulcan). But I'm seriously considering it.

I bought the Wee last year after about a 15 year hiatus from riding. When I used to get done riding, I'd get off and think "man I want to go ride some more". Nowadays, I get off and think, man I'm glad that is over.

Is the wind issue solved at all on the 2012?
With the stiffer suspension, does the front end dive as much when braking?
Is it more comforable? I know that one is TOTALLY subjective.

Thanks for reading my Rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledg View Post
I bought a 2011 Wee last year and I'm considering upgrading(?) to a 2012. I am wondering if the following farkles from my 2011, will work on a 2012?:

1. Factory Hand Guards
2. Factory Center Stand
3. PWD Accessory Shelf
4. Madstad Bracket
5. Givi Windshield
6. Mirror Extenders

Is the wind issue solved at all on the 2012?
With the stiffer suspension, does the front end dive as much when braking?
Is it more comforable? I know that one is TOTALLY subjective.
1. I'm pretty sure the 2011 guards will work. The clutch switch was changed in 2009.
2. The center stand needs a retracted stop. It will fit but clang into something when retracted instead of hitting a rubber stop.
3. No
4. No
5. Only if you get the 2012 specific Madstad
6. Yes

Wind control is much better on the 2012. Brake dive is too. It is more comfortable in stock form than earlier models.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 05-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: left out "switch"
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Whatever you do probably won't be quite right for you without more ergo adjusting. Why do your hands get numb? If you can find the reason, there are fixes (different shape bar, vibration absorbers, different grips, move the bar mount up or up & back). You need to find a seat maker you can ride into for a custom seat for your best positioning, or find one that does good work from photographs. Wind buffetting is a combination of windscreen & position, mirrors, and helmet model. When you decide to make a change, ask here for info.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

No buffeting for me, unlike previous model, but lot's of wind noise, stock screen, middle setting, I haven't tried moving it around yet, I wear earplugs anyway so it doesn't bother me.
I have done a couple of 600 mile days, and the seat is a big improvement for me, over the previous model, not a corbin mind you, bet definitely an improvement over the stock DL650 seat and the stock DL1000 seat which itself was better than the 650 seat (more padding) I don't get the stiff/sore neck that I used to get on long rides. My butt still gets sore, just not as sore, and I can go longer between stops. The ergos seem to be about the same, mainly better wind management and better seat.

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'd just drive it...

If I had a 2011 v-strom and liked it I would just drive it. Just think, if you wait another year I'm sure the 2013 model will be 3% stiffer, brakes 2% better, gas mileage 1.9% better and on and on and on. Besides, they will have better colors to choose from and you might not have to spend extra to get a yellow bike.
If your bike is paid for..ride it...and take the extra bucks and go on a nice loooooooooooooooooooooooong trip. You'll remember that for the rest of your life.
Also, in two years you can pick up a good used 2012 with all the "stuff" on it for a cheap price. By then some V-Strom person will want to try out the new 1200 water cooled BMW Adventure for twenty-four grand.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
$tromtrooper

If you get off the bike and think, "Wow, I'm glad that's over!"
Then my guess is the joy of motorcycling may not be for you, any more.

You might be better off with a Miata or some similar convertible that you can enjoy life in.

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same issues with vibrations on my 2011 Wee. I installed Vibranators and that didn't fix the issues. I took it to two different shops and even contacted Suzuki directly. I was told to simply short-shift the bike and don't go above the posted speed limit. I traded my 2011 for a 2012 650 Adventure and haven't looked back. (I may however get Vibranators again to see if they quell the 4800 rmp vibes that the Adventures get from the crash bars.)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Cool

Thanks for the info Grey Wolf, much appreciated. Thanks all for the "common-sense".

Last edited by Sledg; 05-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode