Cruise Assist Sound Off Rec Universal VISTA - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Angry Cruise Assist Sound Off Rec Universal VISTA

I attempted to install the Sound off Recreational Universal VISTA cruise assist (control) on my new 2012 DL650A.

The instructions say to slide the collar/slip ring over the end of throttle grip against the switch housing. I was not able to do this. Anyone successfull...tricks...etc.

I decided to put it up against the grip and try it that way. Appeared to work when I tested it in the garage. I turned the throttle 1/2 way and pused the clamp down and it held.

It failed to hold when I tested it at 60 mph. Guessing the vibration of the bike and bumps had something to do with it. No matter how tight I adjusted the clamp.

Anyone have success with this type of cruise assist? I don't see the mechanical advantage of it being over the grip but maybe that is the problem. Looking to see if it is worth trying to get it over the grip again.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/docs/zkey...zz55w5ba3z.pdf

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Same

Same problem for me. I would have to cut part of the grip to make it fit.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just installed mine without trimming the grip, fit's like a glove that way but I may still trim it some. Mine came with 2 gaskets, one for smaller grips that was thicker and I used that one. Appears to hold the grip very tight. If it doesn't hold, I'm thinking trimming the grip will be necessary as it does get thicker as it approaches the switch-side and it may need that thicker area to grab and hold. I did turn the set-screws in quite a bit so that helped also.

I'll post back when I have more to report but an easy fix would be either trimming or find some longer set screws.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It's the type that fits between the grip and the switch housing that sometimes requires trimming. The NEP CC4 is one example as is this style Vista Cruise.

The Universal Vista Cruise usually just requires choosing the right size ring to fit the grip. Older Wees with separate switch gear and throttle reels required an arm extension to reach the grip.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine also came with two different size thickness rubber rings. I forget which one I ended up using but I put it on after the clamp ring was on the grip. If the throttle position doesn't hold when the lever is pushed down, just tighten the adjusting screw. It's a fine balance between just holding the position and being able to close it without flipping the lever up in case a quick stop is necessary.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

The universal one is the what I'm familiar with. I used one on my Caponord and I'm thinking of trying one again. I can see I'll have to move the mirror over to accommodate the the clamp. That bothers me a little since the mirrors already are a little short on reach.

It's also affordable

2012 DL650, Metallic Fox Orange
2007 DR-Z 400s
2007 KTM 300XC-W
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

After having an expensive Throttlemeister on my FZ6, I went with the simplicity of a $20 Go-Cruise. Believe it or not, it is easier to use than the Throttlemeister.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbill View Post
After having an expensive Throttlemeister on my FZ6, I went with the simplicity of a $20 Go-Cruise. Believe it or not, it is easier to use than the Throttlemeister.
A member of ADV Rider is manufacturing and selling a product like the go-cruise called the Omni-Cruise. It's $50, but made from aluminum and is adjustable and in my mind is worth the extra coin over the go-cruise. I have one on my 2012 wee and it works extremely well. Website is here: OMNI-CRUISE: Universal Motorcycle Throttle Lock
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I used a VC on my DL1000 with good success. When I got the 650, it didn't work so well. I switched to the omni cruise, which worked better, but not as well as I would like. Today I installed the Suzuki hand guards, and guess what - can't use the omni cruise with the hand guards.

I am going to give the vc another try. Leaving on a road trip this Friday.

2013 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode