Larger Foot for Sidestand - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Larger Foot for Sidestand

I thought some might like to see what the SW-Moteck larger foot from T.T. for the 2012 model looks like. I really like it. It doesn't scratch the garage floor like the OEM foot does, and it makes for a much more stable base for the bike. And, it won't sink into the hot asphalt as easily. I debated on painting it black and still might do so. It looks OK in aluminum, I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oldandslower,

Did you have to grind any aluminum away to get it to fit? I bought one a few months ago and had to do a lot of filing to get the sidestand into the foot pad. It was pretty obvious at the time that SMO-TECH had never tried to actually mount one on a 2012 V-Strom.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I Installed mine last night. I had no issue with clearances at all. Lifted the bike off the stand a little, set the foot under it, let the bike back down onto the foot, and put the top plate on with the screws and lots of blue loctite. Maybe a 15 minute job (at most). I was concerned at first that the machine screws would not be long enough to clap the top plate down due to the lip on the OEM stand, but that was not an issue.

Funny thing was that the foot was in my office 6 hours before I got the e-mail from TT stating it had shipped to me

Sam
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 DL650AL2
2011 CanAm Spyder RT-s

post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

No grinding. I'd put some rubber on the bottom of the OEM foot to stop it from scratching our garage floor. I had to peel that off, and then the foot went right on.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Home made version

Had a block of Delrin laying around so traced the foot onto a 5/8" slab of it. Can make it wider if need be, but trying just barely larger than original foot. Was more concerned with the lean angle than sinking into anything.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had to grind mine a bit to get it to fit. Emailed the Twisted Throttle folks and they said they were aware of it and had pulled it from the "will fit" for the 2012 model. They said they are working on it.

2012 V strom adventure: Touratech 30mm bar risers, Touratech Hex oil filler security cap, SW-Motech centerstand, SW-Motech skid plate, SW-Motech kick stand foot, Adventure Tech forkbrace FB65, Adventure Tech mirror extensions ME65, KISAN tail light modulator plug-in 20W-D, GIVI airflow AF3101, Scottoiler eSystem, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Russell Day Long saddle, MondoMotos MM 12 AUX lights
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
Emailed the Twisted Throttle folks and they said they were aware of it and had pulled it from the "will fit" for the 2012 model. They said they are working on it.
Just checked and they've pulled it from the list. I ordered mine on Monday and it was on the list. I am thinking there is a bit of mfg tolerance at play here since mine fit my 2012 (09/11 production date) just fine ...

Sam
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 DL650AL2
2011 CanAm Spyder RT-s
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Larger sidestand foot

I needed a slightly larger sidestand foot for hot summer parking lot asphalt. A piece of 3/16 thick aluminum did the trick.

IMG_0948 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode