2012 DL650 ADV - Bag removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2012 DL650 ADV - Bag removal

I was looking at an ADV version today. Can anyone tell me about their racks and bags? Does the rack come off easily? Was it worth the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like mine. all come apart with the cam locks.

Respectfully, Doug
post #3 of 14 Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM

The Trax boxes come off the racks in a couple minutes. The racks come off in maybe 4 or 5 minutes with the 1/4 turn cam locks.

They are pretty wide. Around 44 inches and we have been discussing this a lot Suzuki says they hold a full helmet and they dont but they seem to be built well except the locks which are so so. You can also by bags to strap on the brackets on the top of the boxes.

I was able to get the Adv for 1k off msrp so once I factor that it seems like a decent deal.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

2012 650 Adventure Bags

I think the bags look good, but are too wide and not top quality. Mine do not fit a full helmet for sure. Nolan Size XL. I am not impressed with the lock quality, but as mentioned, they are easy to remove.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've already banged the trax on something while riding (barely a chip), dropped my bike on panniers (not a scratch), taken them out in rain (no leaks), had a bottle of sparkling wine de-cork inside (again no leaks), and I've popped them off for a quick hose-out (they're incredibly light and off in less then 10 seconds).

They won't fit a helmet, the locks take a while to work in and they make the bike wide, but I'm not a lane splitter and the added versatility means they stay on 99% of the time.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2012 650 Adventure Bags

I like the bags, locks sitck. I put some graphite powder into the locks and it made a big differnce.

They are light and a little thin, I dented one with a boot already, but it doesn't show much.

Space wise - my XL full helmet won't fit but they are roomier then my previous Givi bags on my 2009 Wee and they are top open which is much better than the clamshell.

2012 - V-Strom 650 Adventure
2008 - V-Strom 650 - Sold
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henuah View Post
They are light and a little thin, I dented one with a boot already, but it doesn't show much.
Curious how you did that. I had the entire bike crash down on the side of the trax case while it was still open and it didn't really even scratch the plastic corners. Did you dent it square in the middle?

2012 Suzuki DL650A - "Sherpa" - Tusk 30mm risers, Trailwings front and rear, Barkbuster Storm, Bestem 929 topbox with LEDs and liner, everything else stock.

Daily commuter when weather permits, 25k miles and counting.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I really like the OEM panniers on my new adv model, quick release, hold tons of stuff, look good and I think the construction is very good, the locks are a bit tempermental.......

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I find the OEM cases pretty sturdy and they have been waterproof (although I have not ridden in torrential rain yet)....I ride with the top case on most of the time and mount the side cases for longer trips only as they make the bike rather wide for everyday riding... (top case @ 38L easily takes a full face helmet gloves and vest with room to spare and I leave the brackets for the side cases on all the time although they are easily removed.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #10 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

2012 DL650 ADV - Bag Removal

Just got my ADV 2 weeks ago. Love the factory boxes. I also just equipped it with a Coocase S50 topcase in flat black. I can have everything off the bike (side racks also) in about 3 minutes. Takes about 5 minutes to put everything back on. With some use the locks are getting a little better. Need some graphite I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode