Heat on legs from engine! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Heat on legs from engine!

Straight from Suzuki:
ĽA radiator with a more compact core, flanked by wind-directing plates shaped with holes* for enhancing cooling efficiency, allows hot radiator air to flow out to the side air outlets and away from the rider's legs. (*Patent pending.)

I wouldn't have bothered with the patent process.

Am I the only one that has noticed a LOT of heat from the engine area? Especially at lower speeds ( 20-50mph ) but even at 65+ there is a lot of heat. I have been setting the heel of my boot on the edge of the pegs and pidgeon toeing to get fresh cool air. I rode the other V Stroms we have and I really don't notice heat. Same gear, same temp, etc. So where is the "improvement"? Hit 93 in Houston yesterday, probably won't see below 90 for months. I will start designing an air deflector to mount to my engine guard to eliminate the problem. But really, why promote an improvement that is....not there?

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
$tromtrooper

I haven't noticed engine heat on the 2012 yet, but I'm in New England.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Me neither. I even took a ride in shorts the other day and didn't notice any heat.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hot in Texas...

I think when you get to 90+f anything you ride is going to put off heat. My BMW 800 GS Adventure killed my right leg at 75F.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #5 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Never noticed heat

It can get pretty warm here in Montpellier, and even on recent rides in the 80's and 90's I've never noticed unpleasant heat from the engine. Maybe it's there and I just don't find it unpleasant? Will pay attention as summer gets here.

"The rise in popularity of reality shows has brought people to live experiences second-hand in a context that involves no adventure, no danger... Whereas the road takes you out into the world."
- Walter Salles, about On the Road
post #6 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had close to 2nd degree burns on my SV650 one hot day, thru my gear

the heat builds up so much on the frame, it gets hotter than the exhaust

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
post #7 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I had a pm wondering if I had the factory under cowl installed. No. But it should be here tomorrow and I'll see if it makes it better or worse.

If I didn't have two Gen I V-Stroms here at the house it might be harder to complain. But when the '12 is supposed to have been improved...and it puts out noticeably more heat than the Gen I's I feel compelled to complain. Even when it was in the mid-80's here the heat was very noticeable. I have ridden the Vee in 100+ temps and never noticed engine heat to concentrate on my legs. Not just one side, both sides. I'll fix it, just wondered if others have noticed it yet.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have zero heat issues from my 2012. In fact, it seems better than most bikes I have ridden. Try riding a BMW airhead or an ST1300 and you will think the new Wee comes with A/C. I must say that in my area, it hasn't been too warm yet and my temp gauge never moves from 3 bars.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2
1982 BMW R100RT
1985 Diamondback Ascent EX
post #9 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
$tromtrooper

I'd double check to see if the coolant and oil are topped off, but you prolly already did that.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #10 of 102 Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

No heat issues.

but live in the midwest..

when it hit 80 the other day it was fine. No 90 degree days yet.

2012 650, Centerstand, lower cowl, accessory plug, grip protectors, hot grips, fork brace, mirror extenders, crash bar, auxiliary lighting front and rear, madstad, California Scientific medium windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode