OEM Suzuki panniers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OEM Suzuki panniers

I'm considering getting the 2012 adventure model, since it comes with a lot of the stuff I'd be adding on anyway. I know the OEM panniers are pretty wide, but the width didn't seem to impede me when I test rode it. I forgot to double check, but I believe the left one is large enough to hold my helmet, which is very appealing, since I'm not fond of top cases. They appeared to be of good enough quality. Another factor is I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket pannier kits for the 2012 vstrom that a) don't cost a fortune, b) might be a pita to attach. I don't intend on taking dirt roads more challenging than unpaved driveways, at this time.

Do you guys feel the OEM panniers are durable/functional enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

For the type of environment you described, yes.
That said, I would describe them more as sacrificial than durable. The aluminum is pretty thin.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #3 of 20 Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuff View Post
I forgot to double check, but I believe the left one is large enough to hold my helmet, which is very appealing, since I'm not fond of top cases.
A half or 3/4 helmet will fit. I have not found a full face helmet that will fit yet.

2012 DL650 ABS Adventure
2016 Beta XTrainer 300
2008 WR250R
2005 R1200GS
1988 K100S
1975 XS650

post #4 of 20 Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM

They are durable and seem so far to hold up well. The bike is just over 44 inches wide with them on. I am always banging my foot on one getting on but that's just me. The locks are a weak spot. Not the best quality and several, myself included have had locks fall out when the c clip came off. I used rtv to basically glue them in and graphite on the locks and problem solved.

No full face helmet I have will fit in the larger box despite what Suzuki advertising says. I ended up having to get the top box anyway which I did not really want to buy.

They are very easy to remove as are the brackets. So as long as you are ok with the looks the width and the fact you probably will not get a face face helmet to fit in it they are functional.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

As others have stated, a full-face helmet will likely not fit. I've got a big-ass head so my size large HJC doesn't even come close.

That being said, I really like the panniers and if my bike didn't have them, the trax are probably the only ones I'd be interested in getting. Like others have said, the locks are iffy, but start working much better after they have a few miles on them.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

panniers by Jesse

Al Jesse Luggage, out of Glendale, AZ. (Pheonix), makes FANTASTIC panniers for our bikes. I was his, what do you call it, his "sample" bike. Sorry I can't post pictures. His panniers are rugged and much higher quality than the original adv. boxes. Quick detachment and also when riding without a passenger you can slide the panniers forward six inches and down two inches to change the center of gravity. I chose both panniers to be eight inches wide, and the overall pannier width is seven inches narrower than the stock pannier width. This is my fourth set of Jesse luggage. No doubt in my mind, or anyone that sees these panniers, "these are the best panniers made." That's a fact. HB
post #7 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I remove the side Cases except for overnight trips as I do not like the added width for day to day riding (removal is quick and easy). The top Case will fit a full face helmet, gloves etc and acts as a nice solid backrest for a pillion. 45L side case will not fit a full face helmet, likely due to the top lip. It is difficult for pillion to climb off bike with side cases. Locks were initially a problem (difficult to insert and turn key) but they have loosened up and are ok now. I added loctite as a preventative measure due to others having issues with the locks shaking loose. Overall I am happy with these (all three are included as part of the EXP model in Canada).

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #8 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM

After researching luggage for about a month, I have found that there are MANY different choices for 2012 DL650 luggage. Almost all have a more narrow profile than the OEM, almost all are cheaper, and almost all are stronger. I went with the Happy Trail Denali cliff cut. Pics to follow as soon as they arrive.
Old Time Rider likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

My dealer has a call in to the Suzuki rep. asking why they advertise a helmet fitting into the side case. The dealer brought out a couple of helmets to try and the only one that would fit was a half helmet. I guess Suzuki has a different idea of what a full size helmet is than I do.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

i've put a size L HJC modular in my left one. i had to push and it did scratch the paint but if your main concern is helmet transport, a bit of grinding on the lip and it'd drop right in. (HJC SY-MAX II)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode