Dumb Centerstand question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Dumb Centerstand question

I have to ask a dumb question... Do you actually park your bike on a centerstand out in public or is that really for maintenance? I assumed it was an alternative to a side stand, but have seen talk of people dropping their bikes on the side while they were on a center stand.

I was thinking about getting one, but I park in a public garage a lot with other bikers that might not so nimbly navigate around my precious new toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Besides maintenance, it takes up less room in the garage. The most stable setup though is on the side stand with the tranny in gear as long as the lean angle is good. The three points of support have a wider stance.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Besides maintenance, it takes up less room in the garage. The most stable setup though is on the side stand with the tranny in gear as long as the lean angle is good. The three points of support have a wider stance.
My thoughts as well.

Always use the side stand when on the ferry, with a bungee to stop any chance of the side stand retracting.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great point about the bungee on the stand while riding the ferry... planning on taking a couple trips to Ocracoke this summer... one more item for the packing list! Tks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
+1 for in gear, on the side stand in public.

All it takes is one bozo to bump the bike from behind, and there's a good chance that it's going to roll forward and take a nap. Being in gear doesn't help when the rear is up in the air. Plus, having it sitting up like that is just asking for someone to sit on your bike, or pop their little kid onto your saddle "just because".

I do keep it on the centerstand in my garage though.

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Boy! Do I feel stoopid!

Never dawned on me to put the bike in gear when using the sidestand and parking "in public" unless it's on a noticeable slope.

DUH!

I've also gotten in the lousy habit of not locking the forks when parking in public.

Thanks for the "heads up", y'all.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was reading that Confessions of a Bike Thief thing that everyone was talking about on Reddit, and it seems like locking the forks is still your best first line of defense against theft. Sure, it can be defeated, but the fact that it's a relatively loud and obvious task is a deterrent to some.

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html
post #8 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

have to prioritize

thanks for the responses. I've got to prioritize my "farkling" and thought a center stand would be high on my list. I'll probably just worry about a bash plate and hand guards.

I do have a decent swingarm lift that has spool attachments, so I'll probably investigate using that instead of bothering with a center stand. Space in the garage isn't an issue for me yet.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMo View Post
Great point about the bungee on the stand while riding the ferry... planning on taking a couple trips to Ocracoke this summer... one more item for the packing list! Tks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
I ride the ferries across Puget Sound frequently. Over the years, I have seen a number of bikes on centerstands and sidestands fall in rough waters. If the water is choppy, I stand by the bike for the duration of the trip.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle
post #10 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Besides garage parking taking less space ....

Really good when touring and staying in motels. The bike takes a lot less space on the centre stand and with a cover over it you can get away with parking it (in more secure) places you couldn't otherwise. (Has the same visual impact as a covered barbecue).

It makes for faster puncture repairs as well - not impossible with a sidestand , but cleaner and easier - particularly if conditions are bad (rain/mud). It wouldn't be top of my priority list, but it does have it's advantages.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode