Which crash bars fit with the Suzuki engine cowling? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Which crash bars fit with the Suzuki engine cowling?

Search was not of much help. Earlier this week, I bought a slightly-used 2012 Wee. It came with the Suzuki lower engine plastic cowling installed. Is this going to interfere with mounting the after-market crash bars? Can anyone recommend a specific brand that will mount with the cowling in place?

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hepco & Becker will fit with the cowling and won't cause vibrations like the OEM engine guards do.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Millcreek, I'll have the answer next week on the SW Motech engine guards. I have them mounted and the factory under cowl on the way. From the pictures I have looked over, it looks like the two will fit without interference. BTW, the 2012 SW Motech bars are completely new for this model. I hope they took into account when designing these the need to fit the factory accessory cowling. I really like the fit and quality, I have a set on the '04 Wee also.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

The new 2012 version SW Motech engine guards will fit with the OEM under cowling.

Last edited by Oldandslower; 05-25-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Correction
post #5 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslower View Post
I had the SW Motech engine guards and had to send them back. They would NOT fit with the OEM under cowling. YMMV
The SW Motech guards for the Pre-2012 Wee will not fit the factory under cowl. They will bolt onto the bike. Maybe you had the early version? I am hoping that is one of the reasons they redesigned the bars for the 2012. It appears there is more room behind the connecting bar on the newer version. At any rate, the under cowl WILL fit with the SW Motech bars on my new Wee, even if I have to break out the plasma cutter and welder! :mrgreen:

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I thought I had the new version for the 2012 model. I didn't!

Update: Sorry about that! Apparently, the guards they sent me were the old style, as the ones I received wouldn't fit with the under cowling. I see these attach just like the H&B guards I have, not using the large engine bolt like the OEM uses. That was why my OEM guards caused vibration, I believe. So sorry I gave the wrong information!

Last edited by Oldandslower; 05-25-2012 at 12:38 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So I cannot find the H&B engine guards on the Adventure Moto site. Where do you buy them?

2012 Suzuki DL650A
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslower View Post
Hepco & Becker will fit with the cowling and won't cause vibrations like the OEM engine guards do.
OEM engine guard does not cuse any vibration in my 2012. Perhaps the guards that cause the vibes were not installed correctly. Just sayin no vibes at all on my bike and should not be a reason to not by the oem guard. However, the oem guard is more money than the Givi and prolly Hepco Becker.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil323 View Post
OEM engine guard does not cuse any vibration in my 2012. Perhaps the guards that cause the vibes were not installed correctly. Just sayin no vibes at all on my bike and should not be a reason to not by the oem guard. However, the oem guard is more money than the Givi and prolly Hepco Becker.
They may not have caused vibrations on your bike (and they WERE installed correctly), but they did on many others--see link: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ibrations.html Some owners had luck taking them off and re-installing. Some had luck separating the two piece crossbar and adding a "shim" between the two pieces. I had no luck with any of that, and switched to different bars.

For the person who asked, I bought my Hepco & Becker engine guards from Adventure Motostuff. Look under Suzuki, 2012 VSTROM, Body and Windshields, Tank Guards. They were $227.00.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

^^^^ Thanks so much for the recommendation. I just ordered a set of H&B crash bars from Moto Machines. The store in Nevada is out of stock.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode