Want to buy a Wee - Which Model? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Want to buy a Wee - Which Model?

Hi,

I am returning to motorcycling after many years. I used to ride street and dirt. I sat on some cruisers, and they are not for me. I like the control afforded by the seating position on standard motorcycles and dirt bikes.

I looked at the BMW F 650 GS but the price put me off. Seeing the activity on this forum has drawn me to the 650 Vstrom. I sat on one at the dealer and liked the way it felt.

I want to buy new and so the decision is between the base model and the adventure. It looks like you get over $2000 worth of accessories which I would probably buy anyway for the $1500 price difference.

Is it worth it? Will I want to keep the add ons or will they end up in my shed?

Being new again, I would remove the bags until I gained confidence at stops, etc.

Is that easy to do?

Thanks

Last edited by jmasterman; 05-16-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2 cents....

Buy the regular model and keep the extra cash to buy the accessories that you want, when you want to buy them.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used to have an 1100RT BMW. Wonder riding/touring platform. Just too heavy for an old guy. I like the WEE because the riding position is about the same. And you don't have to pay the big bucks. Unless you are decided on a new bike a used Wee is a real bargain and you loose nothing!

post #4 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterman View Post
Hi,

I want to buy new and so the decision is between the base model and the adventure. It looks like you get over $2000 worth of accessories which I would probably buy anyway for the $1500 price difference.

Is it worth it? Will I want to keep the add ons or will they end up in my shed?

Being new again, I would remove the bags until I gained confidence at stops, etc.

Is that easy to do?

Thanks
I bought the Adventure model and no regrets. I had Jesse bags on my previous bike, but like the Trax bags as they're lighter and also would have added crash bars so the Adv model was a no brainier for me. Not to mention I could Not bring myself to buy that orange color of the plain Jane model. The bags go on and off in seconds. I will probably only have mine on for trips and use a tail bag for day trips. But if you don't really have need for the bags it may be a different story. You'll find many different reasons and opinions here, but in the end you really need to think about how you'll use it and buy accordingly.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #5 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Buy it loaded...Trust me. You won't have ANY problems finding even more gotta-have-Farkels to add to it. As for the bags, I ride with 'em ALL the time because of their added crash protection and for the additional (very handy) extra storage space.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM
$tromtrooper

I recommend that you buy Greywolf's bike!

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
post #7 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Re read post #2, and do it. I got the adv. "The joice of expierence." Then do what you want with it.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just bought an adventure. After buying and setting up several bikes from the ground up it was nice this time starting out with bags and crash bars and a decent shield. At least this way its functional enough to ride and tour with. Even better once i start adding smaller odds and ends.

Jon Kohler
Colbert, GA
2009 KLR 650
2012 VStrom 650 Adventure
IBA# 24562
post #9 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Unless you really like those big ugly side cases go for the standard model if you can still find one. There's a reason all the standards disappeared first, and why there is nothing left but ADV models. ($1500 can buy more and prettier farkles) However if you do like the ADV model I suspect the price difference will decrease starting now and more so towards the end of the model year. My dealer has 4 ADV models and 0 Standard models (I bought his last one a month ago), he just recently lowered one of the ADV models $200

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #10 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM

I bought a Adventure. The idea was to buy it loaded and use the 0 % financing. I also got the bike for 1k under msrp with only a 50 dollar doc fee so my OTD price was decent.

That said here is my honest assessment.

The adventure windshield may or may not work for you. That's subjective. I ended up drilling mine out to raise it higher and it sort of works but is not optimal. So really that was a waste of dollars for me.

The crash bars suck. Period. Mine and many others here cause a significant vibration between 4600 and 5000 rpm or around 66 to 72 mph basically where I cruise at. Removed the bars and the bike smoothed out there and a little bit in all ranges. Still buzzy but not as bad as it was. The bars are now laying over in the corner. Another waste of dollars.

The trax boxes again are subjective. You either love them or you dont. I like them BUT the dealer literature says a full size helmet fits the side case. It does not. With them installed the bike will be more than 44 inches wide. Take that in consideration before you buy. If you do lane splitting or ride tight trails maybe not a good idea. The locks provided with the boxes suck. No other way to describe them. I had the c clips come out of two of mine and lost them. Others have had that issue to. Also they are positional and just poor quality. Not a deal breaker but my 50 dollar E Bay special top box on my KLR 250 has a better quality lock.

I also ordered the trax / Suzuki top box. The mounting plate is Suzuki specific so you are limited in what you mount on it. The top box is like the side boxes. You love them or hate them. One annoying issue with it however. It is aluminum and it is located close to the exhaust. The thing has a drone when riding that can get pretty loud. It has just about the same storage as my 50 dollar E Bay box and a full size XL Shoei RF 1000 helmet fits in it but it is tight. The box with the mounting adapter ran 425 bucks. Again hindsight 20/20 I would not have gotten it there are much better top boxes out there.

Soo...in hindsight I would have bought the standard bike and outfitted it exactly how I wanted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode