No Givi Adapter Kit for the Suzuki Proprietary 650 Adventure Rack - Yet... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

No Givi Adapter Kit for the Suzuki Proprietary 650 Adventure Rack - Yet...

I emailed Twitsted Throttle regarding a Givi Monokey adapter kit for the factory SW Motech baseplate on the 650 Adventure set-up. This instead of bolting a Givi baseplate on top of the SWmotech plate.

Justin replied stating that the proprietary design does not have a Givi solution....yet. TT is in contact with Givi and there may be something in the works.

It appears like a standard GIVI baseplate can be fitted to the baseplate pretty easily, perhaps without drilling, but it will take a little fab work.

I can get the baseplate from Happy Trail for under $50, so it's worth a shot.

DSR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

any update on your purchases and efforts for the top box? struggling to find an aluminum top box at a decent price with all the shortage going on.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Make due with what you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRider650 View Post
I emailed Twitsted Throttle regarding a Givi Monokey adapter kit for the factory SW Motech baseplate on the 650 Adventure set-up. This instead of bolting a Givi baseplate on top of the SWmotech plate.

Justin replied stating that the proprietary design does not have a Givi solution....yet. TT is in contact with Givi and there may be something in the works.

It appears like a standard GIVI baseplate can be fitted to the baseplate pretty easily, perhaps without drilling, but it will take a little fab work.

I can get the baseplate from Happy Trail for under $50, so it's worth a shot.

DSR650
I had a Givi trunk left over from Previous bike and didn't want to buy another base plate, so on my Wee ADV model, I just took their base plate off the bike and drilled it to accept the Givi mount plate. Pics:

See the holes marked and freshly drilled:

Givi trunk mount sitting over Suzuki provided base plate:

Givi trunk on Suzuki Wee ADV base plate:

I only use the trunk for a back rest for the wife's occasional ride. The Saddlebags with Trax bag extenders are enough for as long as a 10 day trip so I never use the trunk for anything but a backrest.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]

post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I also used the generic E-250 plate to put a Givi case on top of my adventure rack. The case was a Maxia with the tail signal extension so I had not figured out a way to route the cable properly. I say "had" because the bike is essentially totaled right now after an unfortunate incident so I'm awaiting insurance to sort things out before I refit a new bike. Blah. I guess I should say that the E250's mounting is something that broke during the (nearly head on) collision, and the case went flying. Not catastrophic, but kind of interesting failure mode.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I mounted my Givi E45 case this evening, drilled two holes for the universal cast metal plate I pulled off my KLR and spent $2.24 at Home Depot getting some shorter 6mm x 1.0 socket head screws, wshers and nylock nuts. I'll try to get some pics in the daylight.

The black plate looks nice on the bike. I have a second plate on order so I swap the case between the KLR and the Wee. The case itself seems to be the right size and even though I have the fancier E45 with pinstripe and labels on it, still seems to go well as a package.

TW
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a sw motech plate fro the Wee2 with adaptor plates for monokey and monolock which both work really well, as I can fit my V46 for longer trips or my micro 26 for taking my sarnies to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1946.jpg (92.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1943.jpg (87.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1947.jpg (88.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1942.jpg (87.4 KB, 26 views)
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I drilled two holes to mount the Givi Z255 universal Baseplate to the ADV specific toprack. I pulled this off my KLR and just needed shorter screws and lock nuts.

Used 30mm long, 6mm X 1.0MM Hex head screws with Nylock nuts. The silver mounting collar the screw is in is part of the Givi mounting kit. The kit also has covers for the screw opening, I just didn't put them in for the picture.

I centered the plate over the ADV baseplate, but you may wish to move it back an inch or two if you carry a passenger. The case also interfers lightly with seat removal where it is. Not a big deal for me, but I may move it back an inch.

Here is the full bike, top case is the E45 Monokey.

This cast metal baseplate and hardware kit are available from Happy Trail for just under $40. - I have another one on order so I can swap the case between my KLR and the Wee.

DSR650

Last edited by DSRider650; 06-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode