Engine and Skid Guards - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Engine and Skid Guards

Givi, SW-Motech, Hepco-Becker, Suzuki OEM, Happy Trail, Alt Rider,Adventure MotoStuff, Touratech, etc.

What brand engine guard and skid guard combination do you recommend and why? Tried any others for comparison? Do you think any of the available ones offer better protection or employ a superior design (such as mounting location)? Better welds or just better quality?

What price did you pay and where?

My apologies if I missed another thread that has already been started that covers this subject. If it exists, I couldn't find it with the Search tab. There is some information about this topic scattered across several threads, but I couldn't find a dedicated one just on this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Red face No opinions? Really?

It must be the end of the month. People are tired and short of opinions.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can tell you what I don't recommend: the SW Motech skidplate. I popped all the rivets on the bottom of this skidplate within the first month of installing it, and I did not bottom out that hard. This has happened to other people on this site also.

I guess I should mention that I also have the SW Motech crash bars, and have no problem with these. They are well constructed. Only the skidplate is a POS.

[I]When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.[/I]
- C. P. Snow

Last edited by Jarlaxle28; 05-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Altrider bars and plate...

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
post #5 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't get OEM crashbars, unless you like vibration. I had SW-Motech on my K7 and no vibration issues there. They protected the bike well, on two separate occasions, and seemed to be very sturdy, and well made. The reason I bought the OEM on the L2, I thought they looked cool, I liked the color, finish, etc.., matches the handlebars, oh and my dealer knocked off 20% when I bought the bike so I went ahead and ordered them. But as soon as I put them on and took it for a ride, I started experiencing vibration in the 4600-4900 rpm range, also some around 6000-6300. I look here and lo and behold there is already a thread on this very issue, so It's not just me. One other thing i didn't think of, is how to duplicate that nice finish after it takes a spill. On my old SW-Motech, I just sanded a little and got out the old rattle can of black paint, and all was good again. Good for you for doing some research first. I am not going to remove the OEM's, I am still tinkering and I have reduced the vibrations, and they do still look better (IMO), but if I had it to do over again I would get the SW-Motechs

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #6 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Altrider crash bars and one of Yann's aluminum skidplates would be my recommendation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
" Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
Present Rides
[*]2015 KTM 1290 SA[*]2012 Road Glide Ultra[*]2013 KTM 500 EXC
post #7 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Touratech bash plate is awesome. Truly well made and vibration free.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not to mention a pain in the arse to install

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8
post #9 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wink Thanks for the recommendations!

I appreciate all your perspectives and opinions, especially when you qualify your recommendation. As in, I like this BRAND because.... That's very helpful.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy Engine Guard decided upon- still deciding on skid guard

Seems like the SW-Motech engine guards have a good reputation. Plus they can be had for under $200. So, that decision is made.

The skid guard issue is still open. Seems strange that many of these go for as much as an engine guard (in the $250 range). I'll keep looking. Bet there is a small shop doing them for less that just doesn't have the name recognition yet.

That Touratech and Alt Rider stuff sure is pricey. Don't think I need to pay more for stainless steel and a name. Reminds me of the tactics used by BMW to sell their overpriced creations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode