2012 600 mile maintenance - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 600 mile maintenance

Hello All,

I am approaching 600 miles - and I would like to do the maintenance check up myself. I know it involves oil, oil filter, lubing the chain and checking all fluids. I would like to know what else is involved, including which bolts to torque - and the torque specs on the bolts... I thought there was a thread on this some time ago, but I could not find it - and also I wonder if there may be more to do on the '12 VStrom... the dealers wants $140.00+, and I can do it myself if I know all of what needs to be done.

Thanks,

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

It might involve tightening everything.

Check your warranty manual. see exactly what it says you must do to keep the warranty in effect.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #3 of 48 Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Hello All,

I am approaching 600 miles - and I would like to do the maintenance check up myself. I know it involves oil, oil filter, lubing the chain and checking all fluids. I would like to know what else is involved, including which bolts to torque - and the torque specs on the bolts... I thought there was a thread on this some time ago, but I could not find it - and also I wonder if there may be more to do on the '12 VStrom... the dealers wants $140.00+, and I can do it myself if I know all of what needs to be done.

Thanks,

--John
It's all listed in your owner's manual (except the torque specs...I just "snugged" any fasteners that were loose enough to do so without over tightening - didn't really find anything that was loose.)

FWIW, I documented each action along with the date and mileage and stapled a copy of the receipt for the oil and filter to the printout:

Item/Action
Exhaust Pipe/Muffler Bolts = Tightened
Engine Oil = Replaced
Engine Oil Filter = Replaced
Throttle Cable Play = Inspected (ok, no adj. nec.)
Clutch Lever Play = Inspected (adj. to spec)
Drive Chain = Inspected (adj. to spec)
Brake Fluid = Inspected (ok, no adj. nec.)
Engine Coolant = Inspected (ok, no need to add)
Steering = Inspected (lock to lock, no binding or play)
Chassis Bolts/Nuts = Inspected/Tightened

Master of the obvious...
Ol' Bug Brain of the Sons of Practicality MC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 DL650AL2

post #4 of 48 Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks,

--John
Do yourself a favor and take some of your savings and buy a genuine shop manual for it. My dealer ordered me one for about $70. As another poster mentioned the biggest part of the 600 appears to be tightening and torquing things down.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #5 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was just charged $259 by my dealer for a 600 mile service. The receipt said 2.65 hours of labor were required. Is there really 2.65 hours of labor involved, or am I being taken advantage of?
post #6 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
I was just charged $259 by my dealer for a 600 mile service. The receipt said 2.65 hours of labor were required. Is there really 2.65 hours of labor involved, or am I being taken advantage of?
They got you... Hook line and sinker... The 600mile service only requires an oil/filter change, maybe a chain adjust and a basic checking for anything loose... Should have done it yourself....

2015 DL650AL5 in Blue
post #7 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

You are required to ride a 1 mile wheelie at the 600 mile mark. That's it.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #8 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
Yup, you got robbed!my dealer in Kingston ALSO wanted 3 hrs labour and $300, so I checked with this forum and most say that it is only an hours work that they got charged. I phoned the Suzuki dealer in Belleville and Toronto, and the Toronto dealer said 1 1/2 hours the longest and the Belleville dealer ( Belleville Sport & Lawn) said he can have it done with only an hours work. I went with them and my bill came to $106. I guess their mechanics are more efficient. I will now NEVER deal with the Kingston dealer again even though that is where I got my bike.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yep, only took my dealer 1hr 30min. And mine was free of charge as a thankyou gesture for buying the bike from them. Come to think of it, every dealer I have bought from in the UK has given free 1st service as a good will gesture.

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #10 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My dealer said it would take 3-4 hours at a shop rate of $124.00/hour. Said that adjusting the valves would be done during that time. No thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode