GPS Help..2012 Wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

GPS Help..2012 Wee

I have been slowly creeping into the 21st Century
A year ago I broke down and purchased a Garmin Zumo for use in the cage, mostly for the wife and kids. I now have decided it is time to get a more bike friendly GPS and mounting bracket. Looking for a recommendation on GPS models and mounting brackets. I like the looks of the bracket that mounts under the windscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Patroller View Post
I have been slowly creeping into the 21st Century
A year ago I broke down and purchased a Garmin Zumo for use in the cage, mostly for the wife and kids. I now have decided it is time to get a more bike friendly GPS and mounting bracket. Looking for a recommendation on GPS models and mounting brackets. I like the looks of the bracket that mounts under the windscreen.
I think you might have purchased a Garmin Nuvi model for the cage? The Zumo IS the bike friendly unit, and it comes with a motorcycle RAM mount, battery harness, etc. There are a few alternatives, but generally the Zumo models are the current "standard". Everything you really need comes in the box (RAM u-bolt and brake perch mount) but of course you can get fancy and mount it elsewhere like above the instruments with some additional farkles.

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html

Last edited by Snowkarver; 05-14-2012 at 08:22 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here is some info on how I set up my Nuvi quickly and inexpensively as possible, but I did have the Ram mount from another bike.

Scroll down a few...

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...farkels-3.html

I would like to get the Adventure Tech mount that puts it over the dash though and then maybe a Zumo.

'12 DL650A VStrom

post #4 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I run a Nuvi with the ram waterproof housing and bar mount. Had it on over a year and no problems.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've got one of these: SW-MOTECH Detachable Vibration-Damped GPS Holder (Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-) - GPS.05.646.10200.B : TwistedThrottle.com for mounting my Zumo 660, which is plumbed into my Autocom.

Works well, but means I need to take off the 660 if leaving the bike for any length of time.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
I've got one of these: SW-MOTECH Detachable Vibration-Damped GPS Holder (Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-) - GPS.05.646.10200.B : TwistedThrottle.com for mounting my Zumo 660, which is plumbed into my Autocom.

Works well, but means I need to take off the 660 if leaving the bike for any length of time.
+1 for that mount. Mine is holding an old Garmin 276C. The position is perfect for me. Can still see instrument panel and all the idiot lights just fine but don't have to take my eyes far from the road to see it.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #7 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Another SW-Motech happy user.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I stand corrected. It is a Nuvi purchased by a newby

I like the Mototech mount. Now here is the next technology illiterate question....
If I get a I-phone can I get a decent GPS App? to kill two birds with one phone?

I have a job that is starting to make Internet and e-mail access by phone appealing and if it could do the GPS thing as well as the financial calculator well then just maybe
post #9 of 27 Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Sure you can. But most find it a bit cumbersome. Most good gps apps aren't actually that good and others are expensive.

Google maps or Google navigation are nice enough on droid but stopped working if you leave the service area.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my droid.

The only regrets I have in life are the risks I didn't take ...
post #10 of 27 Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Patroller View Post
If I get a I-phone can I get a decent GPS App? to kill two birds with one phone?
The top two choices for GPS apps, in my opinion, are Navigon and TomTom. They both download the entire map set to the iPhone and therefore don't need a constant data connection to work.

Here are some things to know about though:
  1. Display size - the elements on the display like speed, distance, etc are designed/sized for auto use and may be hard to read on a bike.
  2. Direct sun usage - iPhone screens wash out a lot more than something like a Garmin in direct sun.
  3. Battery life - you really need to be connected to power full time. Otherwise you'll be out of battery in about 3 hours.
  4. Water resistance - yes, you can get a case like a LifeProof and use a handlebar adapter. It's actually a great case. The problem is that it's very difficult to charge and keep waterproof at the same time.

From my experience, an iPhone can certainly replace an auto GPS, but on a bike there are lots of compromises.

PS - I've been working for a wireless carrier for over 16 years and have used and reviewed hundreds of dollars worth of GPS apps - I use Navigon (about $50) when I'm driving the cage but planning on a Nuvi for the bike simply for the ease of use and water resistance factor.

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode