Tank bag for photo gear? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Tank bag for photo gear?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a tank bag for a 2012+ that meets the following criteria:
  1. Can hold a full size DSLR/lens and one extra lens, along with some other small items like a phone, snacks, etc.
  2. Doesn't have to be camera specific with lots of padding but enough that it holds its shape or could have some padding added.
  3. Very water resistant or close to waterproof.
  4. Strong enough to handle 4 - 5 lbs of weight.
  5. Reasonably easy to remove.

Any other suggestions from those that carry DSLRs would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

tank bag

I have a Wolfman Rainier tankbag on my vStrom650 and I think it meets most of your requirements. I have often had a full-size DSLR and an extra lens in it. I typically cushion the camera gear with an extra set of gloves, hat or similar. I find it easy to access the camera with this setup. It easily holds 4-5 pounds. I chose the buckle/strap mounts because I just didn't trust a magnetic mount, although I must add that I have no experience with a magnetic mount either. I have an extra set of straps and buckles mounted on my KLR and I can easily swap the tankbag from one to the other. I added an extra strap and buckle to the tankbag so I can use it as a "one-strap-backpack" when I need to carry it with me. When I'm not using it that way the extra strap tucks into one of the side pockets. The Rainier also has an expandable feature, but I rarely use that.

The only requirement I'm not sure of is its water-resistance. I'm sure it's somewhat resistant but certainly not waterproof. I suppose one could spray it with Scotch-Guard or something similar. My cameras haven't gotten wet yet but that's only my experience with it. It does have an optional rain cover available but I don't have that.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but since I'm getting ready to head out on a camping trip with my son, so I may possibly have one in a couple days.

Gary

[COLOR="Orange"]'12 vStrom650[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]'04 KLR650[/COLOR]
post #3 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Gary - Googled it and it looks like a nice bag. $175 is a little pricey, but I'm fine to pay for the right bag.

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use

post #4 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Depending on your DSLR's size, the Tourmaster/Cortech Super 14 or the Super 18 or the Motocentric 14 or 19.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #5 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots View Post
Depending on your DSLR's size, the Tourmaster/Cortech Super 14 or the Super 18 or the Motocentric 14 or 19.
My usual setup for travel is a Nikon D300 (without the grip), 18-200 mm travel lens, 35mm prime, half dozen compact flash cards and cleaning equipment. Not an overly large setup.

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
post #6 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Living the Stereotype

I used a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag in my '07 with guts cannibalized from old camera bags. Worked great, don't know if it'll fit a 2012, though.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
post #7 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I usually ride with a DSLR and also like the Wolfman tank bags, but prefer less bulk up front and chose the smaller Explorer Lite rather than the Ranier.
  1. Can hold a full size DSLR/lens and one extra lens, along with some other small items like a phone, snacks, etc - I have a full-frame Nikon D700 but usually travel with 35mm and 50mm primes which are small. I can fit my big 24-70 f2.8 zoom in there too, but have to expand the bag if I also want to carry my water bottle, gloves, and other stuff.
  2. Doesn't have to be camera specific with lots of padding but enough that it holds its shape or could have some padding added - It's very well padded. You can also velcro some extra dividers from other camera bags into it, but I didn't feel this was necessary. Pro SLR gear is tough.
  3. Very water resistant or close to waterproof - It will hold up to a sprinkle or light showers. There is a rain cover available, but if it's pouring that heavily you'd probably be better off throwing the whole bag into a top or side case.
  4. Strong enough to handle 4 - 5 lbs of weight - Easily. My camera gear alone weighs more than that, and I also pack a 400ml water bottle, keys, wallet, charging cables, gloves, and so on in there.
  5. Reasonably easy to remove - I have a Cortech Super Mini magnetic from my last bike which is a great little bag. HOWEVER the plastic tank covers on the 2012 make it difficult to mount a magnetic bag properly, especially a big one full of heavy camera gear. The Wolfman strap mount (with a few tweaks and mods) is bulletproof and rock solid on our bikes.

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html

Last edited by Snowkarver; 05-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Appreciate the replies so far and I'm liking the look of these Wolfman bags...

This one looks particularly nice and more water resistant:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi..._tank_bag.html

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
post #9 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The Expedition ones are very nice too and would suit your purposes. I would miss their signature zipper crescent pocket at the back though. It is unbelievable how much I have come to love and rely on that pocket. (It's the center console cupholder of my bike, aka stuff repository) :mrgreen:

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html
post #10 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Givi 14-18L, T489 Tanklock

I had the same problem last Thursday, with a big ride on Friday. I ended up with a Givi Tanklock bag... you're a bit at the mercy of the store's stock at closing time. Chose the smaller size to avoid conflict with the handlebars. It holds my Canon 60D in its big leather case (that thing you see sticking out in the picture), a wallet, a small bottle of Coke, and probably all the SD cards anyone could own! I'm happy with the small size, since I didn't want a big blocky thing out in front of me. Easy on, easy off. Fast access to the camera.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode