OEM aluminum pannier keys - use carefully - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OEM aluminum pannier keys - use carefully

Hi,

First month with the 2012, first lesson learned with the bike. My OEM aluminum pannier locks regularly stick since day one. It's like the keys need to wear in the lock tumblers so the motion is smoother. Unfortunately, the keys are also very soft/week.

Here was the result after a chilly ride last night:

Biggest lesson learned: Always carry a second pannier lock key in my riding jacket. If the break happened when I was arriving the store and not leaving, I would have locked my helmet inside.

Hopefully Suzuki will warranty the key.

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

these are the goofiest locks.....they work fine one minute then stick the next, a bit frustrating.......oh well, it is a sunny morning and supposed to reach 65 degrees today so I am off for a ride on HWY 12 to do the twisties

2012 DL650 Adventure

Last edited by bigskydrift; 05-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Graphite...

Mine were stiff and problematic until I used graphite powder on 'em and no more trouble. I'll just re-lube 'em whenever they start stiffening up. Not the finest locks (or keys) in the world but they work fine with a little maintenance and common sense handling.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hill View Post
Mine were stiff and problematic until I used graphite powder on 'em and no more trouble. I'll just re-lube 'em whenever they start stiffening up. Not the finest locks (or keys) in the world but they work fine with a little maintenance and common sense handling.
I did that also, but it has not changed anything....don't ever want to force them though, they could break.....

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm usually very careful with this type of thing, but the cold sure didn't help.

Again, lesson learned

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I completely agree; the locks are very temperamental. Sometimes, I have difficulty just trying to insert the key. I'm thinking regular lubrication is a must with these guys.

2014 BMW R1200GS "Heidi"
2016 KTM 500 EXC Six Days "Kate"
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 PM

I had two locks fall out due to c clips coming off. I was able to get the dealer to give me a new set of 6 when I got the factory top case. They suck just as bad but graphite did help a bit. I also put a dab of rtv over the c clips so they wont come apart again.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpete View Post
Hi,

First month with the 2012, first lesson learned with the bike. My OEM aluminum pannier locks regularly stick since day one. It's like the keys need to wear in the lock tumblers so the motion is smoother. Unfortunately, the keys are also very soft/week.

Here was the result after a chilly ride last night:

Biggest lesson learned: Always carry a second pannier lock key in my riding jacket. If the break happened when I was arriving the store and not leaving, I would have locked my helmet inside.

Hopefully Suzuki will warranty the key.

Pete
Oh noes! Bummer. Keep in mind that you can buy a full 6 lock set with 2 keys (for two side cases and a top case) for around $22.00 bucks. Suzuki should replace just based on the principle of the matter. However, if they are slow, your time may be worth more than what the locks may cost you. Just my .02 and another option if you run into obstacles.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mine were a bit of a PITA until I lubed w/graphite. I was ready to "chuck em" though. The locks work well now. I think I'll carry a tube of graphite lubricant with me from now on.

My full face (Shoei) DOES fit in the topcase....barely. Can't remember the model but it is maybe 6 years old or so(never used it that much). The newer full face helmets must be larger.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Where can you buy a set of the locks?

Hi guys I ordered adventure cases for my standard fox green model and the cases are in but the locks are not and for some reason very slow getting in....Any idea where I can buy a set of locks for the adventure cases quick??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode