How low can yours go? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wink How low can yours go?

One of the things I really like about my FZ6R is that you can ride it around as slow as 7 mph without having to feather the clutch and with no lurching, surging, stalling or bucking (provided you are in 1st). This is very helpful when you are slowed by freeway traffic or having to negotiate a parking lot, especially with a passenger.

So, how slow can you SMOOTHLY drive your '12 Strom in 1st?

For you mechanics out there, is there a name for this quality and do you know why some bikes are better at it than others? Is it a product of the size of the throttle bodies or engine size?

I used to own an '06 Strom and wasn't particularly impressed by it's slow speed manners. Seemed to get choppier/rougher with time. My 12GS is even worse. Hoping they have improved the low speed cruising abilities of the '12.

Let me know your experience. Tanks Buttwheat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is one of the many big improvements I've noticed in my switch to the 2012 DL650A from a Kawi 650R. It is so much more comfortable and well-mannered in my downtown parking garage and in rush-hour traffic.

I don't know what they call the quality, but my 2012 Strom is very smooth in 1st and 2nd gear.

2014 BMW R1200GS "Heidi"
2016 KTM 500 EXC Six Days "Kate"
post #3 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would also like to know how its ability to crawl along at low speed and its low speed torque compare to the older models.

[I]When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.[/I]
- C. P. Snow

post #4 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

The 2012 wee is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at low RPM. If you are gentle on the throttle this thing will walk around at 7 mph with very good manners.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you want to be smooth at low speeds you use the rear brake to control and make slight variations to your speed.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

"Crawling" would be the term 4x'ers use when describing a trucks ability to idle along in gear with the clutch fully engaged, usually the slower the MPH the better.

I haven't really investigated it on the Wee, but it seems pretty smooth at slow speeds, although I find the throttle engagement to be tough to apply smoothly after engine braking. I've since tightened up my throttle cable and hope that I can get smoother at it, especially coming out of the corners..

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #7 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Living the Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5jz View Post
The 2012 wee is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at low RPM. If you are gentle on the throttle this thing will walk around at 7 mph with very good manners.
Ah, the joy of a new chain.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
post #8 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

okay... have to ask... and please don't shoot me for asking... but what's the point of this? (and that would be buck and not butt please don't ask me to explain that distinction!)

One person's bike starts to buck at 1200 and not 1k? an others starts at 900 and not 800?

Please Explain To Me what I'm missing? Some have to pull the clutch in a little sooner than others? It's a wet clutch, they are made to be able to withstand this type of usage...

Is there a point here?
post #9 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, low speed "crawling" over rough and uneven terrain can be a lot more fatiguing if you're constantly having to feather clutch in and out and in and out....over and over again.

If you can chug along at idle and give a little juice smoothly now and then when needed to keep up momentum with out clutching, it's a lot less work on the left hand.

You might also experience these conditions crawling along in stop and go traffic, clutch in, clutch out, over and over again, it get's old real quick!

'12 DL650A VStrom

Last edited by stoked steve; 05-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
Well, low speed "crawling" over rough and uneven terrain can be a lot more fatiguing if you're constantly having to feather clutch in and out and in and out....over and over again.

If you can chug along at idle and give a little juice smoothly now and then when needed to keep up momentum with out clutching, it's a lot less work on the left hand.
So, I guess that "FZ6R" is "crawling" over rough rough and uneven terrain with a lot less fatigue?

yeah, that lurch at 900 is so much more dramatic than at 1k... seriously? really?

If it's really that important, buy a diff rear sprocket...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode