First Ride - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First Ride

My wife on her BMW F650Gs and I went out for the initial run of the new Wee. I do not claim to be an expert and my experience as a motorcycle rider is pretty limited to my first love, a 2007 DL650. Ergonomics similiar, cockpit felt a little tighter than the old bike, but not uncomfortable. My 07 has a sargent world sport seat, and I have to say my [email protected]@ likes the Sargent seat much better. I am going to ride another 1000 miles or so before I make a final decision on the seat. I like the instument cluster. The temp guage, trip MPG and the gear indicator are nice editions. I had 1" up and 1" back bar risers on the 07. I will wait to see if I need them on the 12. After the first 130 miles, I was satisfied with the reach, and amount of pressure on my wrists. I will play with the mirrors to see if I can see more road and less shoulder. I think the 12 has a little less wind protection on the upper body than the 07, some of this could have to do with the fact the 12 does not have hand guards. I was able to get the dealer to thow a pair in with the purchase and I will pick them up next week. The rest of the cockpit is pretty much the same. The suspension in my opinion is stiffer than my 07. I am sure 46,000 miles has loosend up the suspension on the old bike some. I found my self attacking the twistys with more enthusiasm and even the Mrs noticed a little more speed through the corners. I have a fork brace on the 07 and If nothing changes from my first ride, I will probably skip this on the 12. The engine red lines 500 RPM's sooner and the motor feels stronger lower in the RPM range. I find I am shifting less and just throttling my way out of the lower RPMs. I also think the higher RPMs are a little less buzzy. The gear box was flawless and shifting was smooth and error free. Brakes are good and I cannot tell a huge difference. Fortunatly I have found no need to test the ABS. Suzuki took a great bike and instead of F ing it up, they tweaked it and made it better. I forgot about looks, I did not mind the looks of the 07, but it certainly was not the hottest girl at the prom, more Martina Navratilova. The 12 is more like Lindsey Vonn, athletic but super hot.

2012 DL 650
Naked.

07 DL 650
OEM Hand Guards
OEM Center Stand
GIVI Engine Guards
ETC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

nice..........I feel pretty much the same way about my new strom.....

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

She is a beauty, without a doubt.

2012 DL650A
Tusk 1' Risers
Catz Gold Iridium Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode