What exhaust ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

What exhaust ?

What exhaust to get, akrapovic is my first choice , any one have a sound clip , I do not want something to loud while cruising.

Does it get to hot to put soft saddle bags against ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

The best choice is the stock one.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
The best choice is the stock one.
STOCK EXHAUST IS FOR GIRLS AND LIBERALS or is that progressives?? I had a scorpion on my wee and liked the sound.. Dan
Vessell makes a guard for the left side if yer usin soft bags

post #4 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Personally, I would not want anything louder than my stock exhaust. The extra 4-6 HP is great, but still not enough to warrant $800.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
STOCK EXHAUST IS FOR GIRLS AND LIBERALS or is that progressives?? I had a scorpion on my wee and liked the sound.. Dan
I would tend to agree.... though might have been a little bit more PC.

The Akro sounds great IMO, I don't mind the 'noise' it makes while cruising. Its quiet compared to having a 650CC thumper cracking behind you at Cruising Speed! Makes the wee sound like a motorbike and not an electric bike.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2
post #6 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wilmo

Did you notice if the exhaust would get to hot for soft bags ?
post #7 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by abb1 View Post
Personally, I would not want anything louder than my stock exhaust. The extra 4-6 HP is great, but still not enough to warrant $800.
1. Not much louder, for good or bad. It sounds best under large throttle settings a low and medium rpms.
2. 4-6hp? Baloney, figure it's 1-2 at most. The difference between my totally stock SV650S and a Gladius with PCIII, map and pipe was 7hp, peak, but that's not through the entore rpm range.
3. Weight loss is probably biggest benefit.

Stock. I tried to make these as similar as possible. Start bike, rev lightly, rev to 3,000 rpm and hold, rev to 4,000 rpm and release. So you can play one, pause it, then listen to the other.

Akrapovic.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
post #8 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
For a sportsbike I could understand this comment. I had a scorpion street extreme exhaust on my sv650s and it sounded awesome. I also have a yoshi on my zx6r.

But on a v-strom...seriously? The stock exhaust is brilliant on the new strom. And the added noise doesn't add any extra cool factor to the v-strom. And if people are squeezing out an extra few hp by getting a new exhaust for $800, why did they get the v-strom in the first place?

Like I said, I can understand adding new exhausts to sportsbikes, but not to tourers.

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #9 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
$tromtrooper

The main benefit I see with an aftermarket pipe is weight reduction: approximately 12-13 lbs weight-loss with the Akro (is what I have read here). That's a sizable amount...........especially if you have added rear racks, hard panniers (Ammo cans in my case), topbox, skidplate (I chose not too just because of the weight added), crash bars, tool tube full of tools (mine is 4" PVC, 18" long and can hold alot of heavy tools), etc, etc........

Is it worth $800 just for 13 lbs??.........depends on the owner and his budget.

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
post #10 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen4 View Post
For a sportsbike I could understand this comment. I had a scorpion street extreme exhaust on my sv650s and it sounded awesome. I also have a yoshi on my zx6r.

But on a v-strom...seriously? The stock exhaust is brilliant on the new strom. And the added noise doesn't add any extra cool factor to the v-strom. And if people are squeezing out an extra few hp by getting a new exhaust for $800, why did they get the v-strom in the first place?

Like I said, I can understand adding new exhausts to sportsbikes, but not to tourers.
soooo let me get this straight.. are you saying no one who buys a strom should like the sound of a throatier exhaust.. if I wanted to listen to a sewing machine I woulda bought a SINGER.. I had my wee for about a week b4 I ordered my scorpion.. prolly added about 0 hp. took off a few lbs. and sounded MUCH better... I now have a 2003 dl1000...it came with staintunes and sounds pretty good wih the end caps out.. BUT I just bought a set of 2 bros. because I want MORE sound, plus with a power commander I heard it gains around 8hp.. staintunes look great and sound pretty good but I WANT MORE.. p.s. I turn 60 in 2 months..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode