Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012-2016 DL650... The only one!!! - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 2215 Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

One thing I've noticed after a day of riding and parking with the Cal Sci shield (and which I suspect would be an issue with the Wind Stream shield too) is that the added width at the base ends up hitting the OEM hand guards if the bars are locked fully to either side (as when locking the steering column while parking). It is flexible and gives way enough to allow the bars to lock, but if moved the bars did too quickly (or if you got hit with a tank slapper) I think it would crack the shield.

Not sure how the Givi or the Cee Bailey's shields mix with the OEM guards, anybody got a pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2215 Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a pic of the Cal Sci Large shield with the OEM hand guards

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1334614265.163029.jpg (15.1 KB, 1064 views)
post #23 of 2215 Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Smile cee baileys

Picked up my vstom from cee baileys today with there new windshield. I hopped on the freeway for about 60 miles and it was fantastic no buffering or wind noise. I received the 24 inch model in light gray also headlight protectors. I am 5'11 with a inseam of 29 inches and it worked great. there are othersizes depending on your size. Look on the web site for the pictures they used my bike at least it is famous because i am not.

Respectfully Doug

post #24 of 2215 Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hello All,

Well, I did about 200 miles on Saturday - wow! this bike is nice! As others have indicated, effortless in the twisties... after having ridden the Coucours for the past year, it is night and day...

Now, to the windshield... I have the Madstad and Givi260 I got from PWD - here are my findings:

-- very little air flow behind the shield - so much so that my helmet visor was getting condensation inside it
at speed - very rare.

-- Noise - lots of noise inside my helmet... again, at speed - above 50 mph or so...

-- buffeting above 65 mph - not too bad, but noticeable...

I had the Madstad set on the lowest hole settings - I was just looking over the shield. I am 5'10", with about 32" inseam, but I have a tall torso and large head... I wear an XL Shoei RF 1000 - which is supposed to be a very quiet helmet.

Here is my hunch - I am getting back pressure - perhaps due to being further from the shield - I also wonder about the space the Madstad places the shield - about 2" - away from the fairing... I realize some space is good, but I wonder if it may be too much...

I wonder about the Givi AF 260 airflow screen - it provides for much adjustability, and the airfoil effect is helpful. I'm thinking that is why Suzuki went with it on the vario touring screen.

The new Cee Bailey looks nice, but not easily adjustable... what are the width dimensions of the Cee Bailey? I assume it can be placed in any of the 3 positions just as with the stock shield...

Thanks,

--John
post #25 of 2215 Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Well,

I just realized that the Manta shield works with the Madstad or without - interesting... I may give them a call... I also like that they have the spoiler option...has anyone tried the Manta on the '12 'Strom?

--John
post #26 of 2215 Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 deadeye View Post
Picked up my vstom from cee baileys today with there new windshield. I hopped on the freeway for about 60 miles and it was fantastic no buffering or wind noise. I received the 24 inch model in light gray also headlight protectors. I am 5'11 with a inseam of 29 inches and it worked great. there are othersizes depending on your size. Look on the web site for the pictures they used my bike at least it is famous because i am not.

Respectfully Doug
Is there any chance you could post some pictures with the whole bike in the shot? The screen looks nice on their website, but it's hard to tell how it looks on the bike with just the closeups.
post #27 of 2215 Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

ceebailey

I would gladly post a few pictures but I am not computer savvy. Mainly do not know how once I get it into the computer. I am 70 so a lot has passed me by.

Respectfully Doug
post #28 of 2215 Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Doug,
I'll post the pics if you send them in email. Check your private messages for my address.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #29 of 2215 Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I highly recommend the Givi Airflow. See discussion here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...2-650-wee.html
amaniji likes this.
post #30 of 2215 Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 deadeye View Post
Doug's 24" light gray Cee Bailys screen and headlight protectors...

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , givi , givi airflow , glee , madstad , parabellum , screen , windscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode