Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012-2016 DL650... The only one!!! - Page 222 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2211 of 2215 Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, it is the X-creen Touring version.

Once you ride a bike with a really good aero package ( and you will want the deflectors on this bike ) you won't settle for "quite a bit of air onto you". At lower speeds, short distances that is just fine. But if riding the highways at speed the difference a good windshield ( and seat ) make is hard to believe until experienced.

Remember when drilling ANY acrylic windshield you should use a step drill bit. The ones that look like Christmas trees, with one cutting edge. Conventional bits will bite in too quickly and that makes it very easy to crack the screen.

I spent a small fortune thinking the Quiet Ride screen would be great for V STrom owners that go on long trips. My mistake. There are simply very few who actually do that, so sales didn't support the effort. No chance of returning them to market.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2212 of 2215 Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Deflectors are in my plans and thanks for the reminder on the step bit. I've got one around here somewhere.

I find that hard to believe. Long distance rides are my absolute favorite. I try to make one big trip every year and have been doing so for a number of years. This year, October, I'm heading east to the Appalachian Mountains to ride. The VStrom does quite well on the open road and in traffic. It's my favorite long hauler thus far. Personally, I'd be happy to stick with the stock windscreen, but a happy wife means more saddle time.

I understand supply and demand, it's unfortunate that it didn't work out for you. Thanks for your advice. I'm probably going to go with the Parabellum/X-Creen combo unless someone can change my mind.
post #2213 of 2215 Old 07-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Anyone else who rides 2up often? Do you have an opinion of the 2 windshields I mentioned a few posts up? I'm thinking about ordering the Parabellum tomorrow.

post #2214 of 2215 Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

This was a comment in a thread in the Gen3 forum HERE and HERE discussing my post #2123 in the Gen2 Buffeting Thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Interesting theory but the empirical evidence is that the windshield and the mirrors are the cause of the buffeting.
Empirical evidence in the 2012-2016 Buffeting Wars thread (w/ 2000+ posts) indicate it's both. "Fixes" include windshield, mirrors and winglets to block or modify flow over and along the side of the fairing.

Quote:
How could those small vents effect the airstream over the windshield?
They don't, not directly anyway. No one cares about clean air hitting the shoulders or top of the helmet. What causes buffeting is when two air streams collide and the air start swirling around. With the defective vent design the lower flow along the side of the fairing and tank is too strong and clashing with the flow around the windshield. The two streams are equal enough in strength that turbulence is the result. If it was just a problem of the air stream over the windshield then the "barn door" windshield solutions would work 100% but they don't. Making the windshield larger causes a much lower pressure in the pocket between the rider and the fairing which (in conjunction with poorly designed vents) draws in MORE air flow along the side of the fairing thus increasing turbulence which is counter-intuitive. See the attached pic for a diagram of the problem. The goal is to reduce the side fairing/tank flow so the the flow over/beside the wind screen dominates the area between the rider and the fairing thus making a pocket of relatively calm air. The goal is to get rid of the small swirlies behind the box in the picture.

Quote:
They are there to direct more air over the hot mechanical bits more than likely. Tubes directing the air away defeats the purpose probably.
There is nothing for the vents to cool, it is for aerodynamics. Since the redesign it's for show.

Quote:
High pressure zone? Uh seems like the entire front end disrupts that, it's not like it's aerodynamic or anything!
"High" and "low" pressure in this case is all relative. You are right though, the front end of the bike is a stagnation point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbulence001.jpg (178.3 KB, 9 views)

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 08-08-2019 at 03:08 PM.
post #2215 of 2215 Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Observation

After posting this I realized that an alternative solution is the beak. The beak, instead of bypassing the flow along the side of the fairing/tank into the vents, increases the velocity of the side air flow so that it accelerates past the rider and the swirlies form behind the rider thus reducing buffeting. I never liked the look of the beak but I would consider adding a beak to reduce the buffeting, looks be damned. I think I read a post where someone added a beak to a Gen2 Wee which is a fairly simple parts swap.
NeverSatisfied likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , givi , givi airflow , glee , madstad , parabellum , screen , windscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode