Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012-2016 DL650... The only one!!! - Page 219 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2181 of 2195 Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied View Post
Regarding light transmission from the headlights, through the shield, yes I have had shields do that at night- a very noticeable and distracting line of light all along the top edge. I have tried black paint along the bottom edge, but couldn't make it cover well enough- maybe wrong kind of paint? But for what it's worth, several years ago I talked on the phone to a rep from Cal-Sci, and he recommended simply hitting the bottom edge of the shield with some fine grit (~200 ?) sandpaper. I followed his advice and it worked like a charm. (I did not actually buy a Cal-Sci shield at that time!)

Now, last Fall, I was about to buy one of RealShelby's shields, but I snoozed on it and missed out. So I thought to try a Cal-Sci, and bought one to fit 2012-2016 model years (my bike is a 2012), unlike how Madstad brackets are made to accomodate Gen-1 shields. Cal-Sci supplies their own proprietary brackets, and I found out that, using their hardware, the Barkbusters could not go full lock without hitting. I did give it a short run anyway, but didn't think it worked any better than the Madstad bracket with Adventure shield that I've been using for the last several years. Also, the shield that I got from Cal-Sci did not have the venturi cut-out (or whatever they call it, I forget).

Your use of the Cal-Sci shield, PLUS a Madstad bracket, is something I have not tried. I considered it briefly, but wasn't about to drill extra holes in the thing and make it non-returnable. And it's one of those things now where, the more money gets spent looking for "perfection", the more diminishing the returns! Looks like a good set-up though, enjoy!
Thanks for the sandpaper tip. Between realshelby's paint and your sandpaper, I should be OK.
I tried an OEM Adventure shield and it just didn't work for me no matter where I adjusted it.
I ran the medium Cal-Sci on their brackets for two seasons but kept yearning for something adjustable.
What size Cal-Sci did you try?
NeverSatisfied likes this.

Last edited by GreyMotion; 01-10-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2182 of 2195 Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I want to say it was an 18" Cal-Sci. Not 100% sure though, and I don't have access to any of my "farkle paperwork depository" right now. :P
For what it's worth I'm about 5'08" ( older & shorter all the time! ), 32 inseam, and alternate between a Sargent seat and Terry Adcox custom. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I may yet throw an MRA adjustable spoiler on top the Madstad and see what happens. Got a new toy though (2018 DR650), so I may be spending more time with that one for a while. Put away for the winter and still not even broke in yet!

My Strom's a 2012, "Fox Orange", I like your gray one a lot. (And super clean!) I've done a little riding your way, stayed at the inn at Pokagon State Park, nice area. Also enjoyed the area along the Ohio River, around Rising Sun and along that way. Very lightly populated in some parts, enjoyable riding. Would like to check out some of those covered bridges you guys have so many of!

OK sorry to side track this thread, back to "Windscreens & Buffeting"!

2012 DL650
2018 DR650

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 01-10-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: corrected windscreen size
post #2183 of 2195 Old 03-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Still a few weeks away from riding but thinking of one way to make this season a bit better. I am currently using a Vstream windscreen. I cut off 3 inches a couple of years ago and I'm now looking at that 3 in. cutoff, wondering how I could make an adjustable spoiler out of it.
Has anyone found some hardware that could be adapted? Replacement stuff form MRA and Puig is a little too pricey for my experiment. I'm headin' down to Home Depot this afternoon to look around.....

Sp56

post #2184 of 2195 Old 04-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have the orig V Strom windshield....Ya it is wind, part of the fun I have had so many bikes and have tried this and that just gave up whatever they put on it is fine. peace

2018 GS
2016 suzuki Vstrom
2016 RT
2012 RT
2012 Road King
2008 gold wing
2009 RT (hit deer at 70)
2005 RT
2007 road king
2011 triumph america
2008 Dyana lowrider
2006 honda 1100
2008 street glide
2007 ST1300
1973 CB750
1971 honda 450 scrambler
1966 honda 55 trail
post #2185 of 2195 Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
2016 California Scientific experience- I purchased a large Cal scientific wind screen about 8 months ago, mounted it in the lowest holes and at 5’10” I look about 4 inches above the shield. I found this to be a great improvement over the stock shield, wind on top of helmet instead of in my chest. I have not found buffeting to be a problem , at least no more than stock. Wind still heavy on the arms and hands makes me want extensions on the side because this shield is no help with that. Overall the shield is high quality, very thick, and the hole in the shield gives good ventilation. I only have this one to compare to, but no regrets buying from these guys.
GreyMotion likes this.

Joe - South GA
post #2186 of 2195 Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 PM
$tromtrooper

This thread still going! Wow.

I bought the Givi AF and never thought about it again. Great windscreen for highway speeds too.
Boise Jim likes this.

Two wheels for realz!
post #2187 of 2195 Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
The Givi Airflow won't work very well at all at higher speeds and in turbulent air. Even after modifications are made. Great at lower speeds and on back roads. Not so much on interstates.
I beg to differ. I have spent 8ish or so hours doing 60-75 mph with the screen and felt just fine at the end. I'm 6'2", BTW.

Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program

Last edited by Boise Jim; 04-05-2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Format
post #2188 of 2195 Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise Jim View Post
I beg to differ. I have spent 8ish or so hours doing 60-75 mph with the screen and felt just fine at the end. I'm 6'2", BTW.
Ride state roads at those speeds and the Givi is ok.

Ride interstates at 75 mph around the turbulence from traffic, crosswinds, headwinds and I will have to beg to differ! I literally removed the upper part on a trip back from the Rally one year to get into cleaner air. Under certain conditions that screen is good, but it can be really awful under other conditions. The stock screen is far worse of course!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #2189 of 2195 Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well, I finally got to test my new combo of medium Cal-Sci shield and Madstad bracket. Can you say infinite adjustments! I found a position where I get lots of air for summer riding as well as quiet riding with my visor open at 70mph. The venturi cut out on the shield allows air to hit my chest only in the highest position. Should I ever want to run the shield all the way up and forward; I thought I'd check my options. I contacted Steven at Cal-Sci and he said to get some .020 polycarb and cut it 2" larger than the cut out and affix with marine velcro.
Overall, this set-up along with the wind-deflectors I got from them should take the fatigue factor out of my long distance highway cruises as well as cooling me down when it's 90 in July.
post #2190 of 2195 Old 04-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Well I screwed up, lol, I recently purchased a 2006 wee. Found some items for sale and bought them all. They were off a 2012 wee. One of the items is a Madstad windshield and the brackets, along with the center stand a Suzuki top box and the mounting bracket. If anyone is interested they are for sale or trade. I know this is on the wrong page but this discussion is endless and all for the good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , givi , givi airflow , glee , madstad , screen , windscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode