Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012-2016 DL650... The only one!!! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 2215 Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
PWD
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Wait a minute - Andreas - did you say 18" Givi? Which one is that? I do not see it on PWD website...

--John
John - Just to clarify, I currently only carry the 22" Givi. I'm working on putting a combo together that will include the MadStad Bracket for the Wee2 and an 18" windshield. I mentioned that to Andreas and he placed an order in advance for the 18" windshield. The 18" windshield will not be a Givi. I'll post here when I have the details worked out.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 2215 Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hello,

I have some info. about the Madstad and the Givi 260 screen... After speaking with Mark at Madstad, I drilled an additional hole in the screen - 3 1/2" above the higher hole in the current Givi... so that reduces the screen to the equivalent of about 18.9" - as the 260 is 22.4". My conclusion is that any screen used with a Madstad on a '12 'Strom needs to be about 19" to be at the same height as the Givi 260 was with the older 'Stroms.

I rode about 20 miles with it today at various speeds - up to 80 mph indicated, and it was pretty stable, with very minimal buffeting at the high end of that speed range... I plan to go for a ride with a group tomorrow, so I will have more feedback... one thing I wonder about the Madstad, and I probably need to speak with Mark about this, is: are there more of the well nuts available, as there are more holes in the Madstad for different positioning of the shield... there are 3 sets of well nuts (6 total - one on each side) that come with the unit, but I don't think they are removable so they can be moved... having the well nuts in the additional holes on the Madstad could provide more range of vertical positioning of the shield...

--John
post #13 of 2215 Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 AM
PWD
Stromthusiast!

John - The well nuts are removable. They push in through the back side rather than pull out the front. To put them back in you'll have to squeeze the flange and push it back through from the back side. You might need a little screwdriver to help push it through the hole, but be careful not to pierce through the rubber.

Gary

post #14 of 2215 Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Mark,

Stupid me!...I wish I had thought of that before I drilled the holes in the shield... I moved the well nuts to the upper most holes on the Madstad, and it looks like it is in perfect position...

I will be testing it today - I am going on a long ride with my cruiser friends - can't wait for the ribbing I will get showing up with a V... the ribbing stops, though, when I take them out in the twisties ...:thumb up:

Thanks for your help... all hail PWD :yes nod:

--John
post #15 of 2215 Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Wait a minute - Andreas - did you say 18" Givi? Which one is that? I do not see it on PWD website...

--John
Sorry about that, I too assumed it would be Givi. I ordered an 18inch shield anyway, PWD never did me wrong sofar.

FB MEMBER #133 - 2008 Wee
post #16 of 2215 Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 AM

I have the Suzuki vario windshield that came with the Adv. with it in the highest position and with the wing adjusted it was " almost " right for me. The wind flow buffeted right at the top of my helmet. So tonight I marked the shield at the center holes and drilled it out below the factory holes. This raised the windshield one inch or so and it seems to have done the trick. Was not thrilled to drill another set of holes but it was cheaper than the alternative. Just need to find some small plugs for the factory holes I left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (43.4 KB, 762 views)
JorgeLuis likes this.
post #17 of 2215 Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140pilot View Post
I have the Suzuki vario windshield that came with the Adv. with it in the highest position and with the wing adjusted it was " almost " right for me. The wind flow buffeted right at the top of my helmet. So tonight I marked the shield at the center holes and drilled it out below the factory holes. This raised the windshield one inch or so and it seems to have done the trick. Was not thrilled to drill another set of holes but it was cheaper than the alternative. Just need to find some small plugs for the factory holes I left.
Good job, I've toyed around with doing the same thing, my shield is taller than yours, buy about a couple of inches. It's real close but you may have solved my problem. Lowes might have some plugs you could use to fill the holes. Thanks--BB

2012 Wee
post #18 of 2215 Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140pilot View Post
Nice job, and good thinking! Can you show us a bigger pic of how the windshield looks on the bike with the modification? I may go for this shield after all, if it works. How tall are you?
post #19 of 2215 Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abb1 View Post
Nice job, and good thinking! Can you show us a bigger pic of how the windshield looks on the bike with the modification? I may go for this shield after all, if it works. How tall are you?
I am 6' 220 lbs with a 32 inch inseam. Running a Shoei RF 1000 helmet. I will try and grab some pics later today. I had the windshield set at the highest level and all I did was remove the plugs from the center holes, mark the windshield and drill it with the windshield still on the bike then raised it to the new holes. It just brings it up an inch. Honestly other than the holes it looks no different than it did really.

I believe you could go up yet another inch or so if you wanted. There is no structural issue doing it only looks. And I was getting ready to go after market and put this one on the shelf so I figured why not play with it.
post #20 of 2215 Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Smile cee baileys

I am picking up my bike tomorrow from cee baileys. They are taking pictures tomorrow morning so I will see how it looks then. You can probably look at their web site maybe by tuesday.

respectfully, Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , givi , givi airflow , glee , madstad , parabellum , screen , windscreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in