Trouble mounting SW-Motec EVO SideCarriers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Trouble mounting SW-Motec EVO SideCarriers

Guys,

I was installing my SW-Motech EVO SideCarriers on my 2012 tonight and ran into a problem. I relocated the turn signals fairly easily. I ordered the turnsignal extensions from Eastern Beaver so I didnt have to cut any wires. This is good in case I ever decide to go back to stock. I mounted the brackets on the passenger footrests and the bracket under the luggage rack and the bracket on the rear fender. The problem occurs when I went to mount the right carrier to the bike. I left all the bolts loose as per the directions, but it was a major struggle to get the brackets on the bike to line up with the quick releases on the side carrier itself. I cant figure out why this is so tough. I really had to squeeze it into place to get the quick releases to lock. Has anyone else had this problem? I am a little bummed out because I thought that the turn signal re-location was the difficult part. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Correction: The carriers themselves are not EVO. The official product name is SW-Motech Quick Lock SideCarrier.

Last edited by Jarhead88; 03-13-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

I did the install for this in another section that you may have seen. I had the same problem with it going on tight on the right side (thought it was just me). I didn't like it but didn't think it was that big of a deal. However it took a little more effort getting it off and I didn't like that. Hopefully they may come out with a little longer bracket (probably 1/4 inch would do it). Since I won't be changing them that often I guess I can live with it.

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #3 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

I watched my racks being installed on my adv. and the tech didn't seem to have any problem. When removing my panniers and racks so I could sell them, (presently listed in the classified section) they came off with little effort. HB

post #4 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybaker View Post
I watched my racks being installed on my adv. and the tech didn't seem to have any problem. When removing my panniers and racks so I could sell them, (presently listed in the classified section) they came off with little effort. HB
...but are the side case racks on the ADV model Wee (and we are talking about the new Wee right?) SW-motech EVO quick release racks or something Suzuki makes?

2015 DL650AL5 in Blue
post #5 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think the OEM adventure racks are slightly different as they dont require a turn signal relocation. If you look closely I think the rear bracket is also different.

Last edited by Jarhead88; 03-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.
post #6 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91TCCRA#1 View Post
I did the install for this in another section that you may have seen. I had the same problem with it going on tight on the right side (thought it was just me). I didn't like it but didn't think it was that big of a deal. However it took a little more effort getting it off and I didn't like that. Hopefully they may come out with a little longer bracket (probably 1/4 inch would do it). Since I won't be changing them that often I guess I can live with it.
Sounds like the same problem. I went over to the thread on your install and I see a common trait. Looks like you installed the rear fender bracket through the predrilled license plate bracket holes. That is what I tried and the right side carrier was abnormally tight and difficult to lock. I re-read the directions and there is a line in the last section about re-drilling holes for the rear braket / licencse plate holder. So here is the plan. I have loosened all of the bolts so that the carriers are installed and just sort of hanging there. I removed the bolts from the rear bracket so that there is no tension on the bracket. When I get home I will align the my license plate and drill new holes for the rear bracket and license plate. That should alleviate any tension on the carriers and make them easy to put on and take off. I will re-post with the results.
post #7 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
When I get home I will align the my license plate and drill new holes for the rear bracket and license plate. That should alleviate any tension on the carriers and make them easy to put on and take off. I will re-post with the results.
Looks like somebody is going to adapt and overcome. Looking forward to see how it works out Jarhead88. I'll probably parrot what you do.

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #8 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Where did you purchase your SW Motech EVO racks from? I assume Twisted Throttle but I was surprised they wanted 62.00 to ship the brackets to So. Cal.

I had the Trax boxes on my KLR and will be installing them on my 12 DL650 but noticed they didn't offer the quick locks (might have missed it) for the EVO's on the DL650. With the SW Motechs on the KLR I didn't care for their locks, they looked like it would only take a ave. screwdriver to bend the latch and remove them. What are your thoughts with the locks?
post #9 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

CanadianFZ6,
My above post was in regards to the Trax panniers the came on my new "adv." ten days ago. I assume that these are different than the Evo bags. On my adv., the rear turn signals had a small adapter that moved each rear turn singal back about an inch. My panniers do have the quick locks and disconnect.
post #10 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriderstaff View Post
Where did you purchase your SW Motech EVO racks from? I assume Twisted Throttle but I was surprised they wanted 62.00 to ship the brackets to So. Cal.

I had the Trax boxes on my KLR and will be installing them on my 12 DL650 but noticed they didn't offer the quick locks (might have missed it) for the EVO's on the DL650. With the SW Motechs on the KLR I didn't care for their locks, they looked like it would only take a ave. screwdriver to bend the latch and remove them. What are your thoughts with the locks?
I did purchase from twisted throttle. They do have the locks :

SW-MOTECH Keyed Locking Quick-Lock Fasteners (pair) - QLS.00.046.10100.B : TwistedThrottle.com

I think they work for all versions of the SW-Motech quick release carriers. The locks definitely can be defeated, but they will keep somebody with nothing more than a quarter from stealing the racks and luggage. In other words, they will keep the honest people honest. I am installing the TRAX boxes as well and I understand the desire to keep them from getting stolen.... they are pricey.

Last edited by Jarhead88; 03-14-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode