For those with the new one..... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

For those with the new one.....

Should i order the russell seat for my 08 , or should i just trade it in and get the 2012? Is it basically the same bike with a new look? I really like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Never thought I would own a v-strom..but I do now!

The older v-strom are great bikes from what I read. The 2012 really appealed to me so I bought on today.

From all that I have read in the past several weeks people who have owned the "old" model really love the new 2012.

I find it a very nice bike for the $$$$$.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you are happy with the '08 just upgrade the seat. From a dollars and cents perspective it would be difficult justifying the new bike just for the seat. Look at sales tax, increased insurance, and the hassle of buying a bike. However if there are features like ABS you don't have and want or you just want a new bike, well...you only live once

post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Waiting for a white one

Placed order for a white 2012, just found out I may have to wait until May, that just sucks, but then it just snowed again.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blzr78 View Post
Should i order the russell seat for my 08 , or should i just trade it in and get the 2012? Is it basically the same bike with a new look? I really like it.
Definitely NOT the same bike with an updated fairing. The new motor and suspensions tweaks are what caught my interest. From my discussions with owners of the older version, the motor is much smoother with more pop up top. Then you have the other new features such as the instrument pod, new seat, etc. The new seat is just one of many improvements. There is an excellent review in a past issue of the Bike magazine(England). Sept. 2011 issue I believe. They tend to be very critical of new bikes and they really did love the 2012 model. Just sayin.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinri View Post
If you are happy with the '08 just upgrade the seat. From a dollars and cents perspective it would be difficult justifying the new bike just for the seat. Look at sales tax, increased insurance, and the hassle of buying a bike. However if there are features like ABS you don't have and want or you just want a new bike, well...you only live once
No, not just for the seat . I was about to order my russell about 6 months ago, and saw the 2012. And thinking to myself, I like that. so i put off ordering the seat. My 08 is paid for, so i figure that might cut the price of the new one in half:mrgreen:, hopefully.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Go for the new one! Life's short, why wait!

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #8 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

You made the decision to wait, I would follow it through and get the 2012. You will not be disappointed, and like it was said earlier, you only live once
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Is the stock seat any better? will i still be ordering a russell??
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blzr78 View Post
Is the stock seat any better? will i still be ordering a russell??
You will have to give it a try. From what I hear, it is better that the older stock versions, but it is still a stock seat. I do not believe that Russell has them made yet for the 2012 version. I would wait until they are released and get feedback on the comfort before you decide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode