Rim tape? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rim tape?

Some on here have rim tape on the bikes, and it looks good. My questions are 1) did you buy the pre-cut pieces? 2) what did you do if you had wheel weights, or did you take them off and use Dynabeads? Just curious--BB

2012 Wee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Hi Bourbon Boy
I got mine from the Suzuki Dealership I got my bike at through accessories/shop.
It came in a roll with an aplicator.
Enough to do both wheels.
I didn't need to do anything about the wheel weights as the tape misses them.

A tip for you though go slowly.
I had to redo my back wheel as the tape broke and it was wonky.
I went to quickly with the wheel rotation.

Cheers Gotawee
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I use auto pin striping, 1/4" reflective stuff;
2" by 4" Reflective Auto Pinstriping

You can buy motorcycle specific rim tape as well, it's pretty much the same stuff.

I use it as opposed to pre-cut shaped stuff, because the continuous stuff is stickier and lasts better.

I have some preshaped stuff on my DRZ400 motard wheels, it definitely doesn't seen as sticky and weather resistant.

For the continuous stuff I just cut it and stopped it at the wheel weights. When I get the tyres changed I will just use the leftover tape to cover the gaps.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Red ones on the SV from Fleabay. I balance my own wheels so I use stick on weights on the inner rim.

What color do you use for the orange??

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

orange

I've tried the bike stuff on a roll, but I found I could apply it neater without the applicator that came with it.

The only good thing about the segmented stuff is that you can have words printed on it. I have Suzuki DRZ on my motard rims

post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
$tromtrooper

That orange tape looks great, Mr. Pneumatic!

Is there a trick to application?
Any helpful advice?

Which product did you use?

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

The link to the stuff I used is in my first post. I used the reflective orange colour.

The trick to applying it is to go very slowly and very carefully. On my 2004 vstrom I bought the motorcycle specific rim tape with an applicator. I found the tape went a little wobbly even with the applicator, and the bigger problem with the applicator was that it was easy to stretch and break the tape.

The reflective tape on a roll (whether it's pin striping or rim tape) is really really sticky. Once it is on it will stay there. I accidentally got some on the concrete on my driveway and I think it stayed there about 5 years. The problem is that it has no tensile strength in tape form. If you pull on the roll while applying then you will stretch it and make it thin looking.

So the trick is to go very slow. Don't pull on the roll too much. Then try to follow an existing edge or line on the rim. If your a little wobbly then you won't notice when your done and stand back.

You will more than likely screw up the rim side you try. But don't worry, just peel it back off and and try again. If you buy the pin striping you will heave heaps of spare tape.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
$tromtrooper

I got mine off ebay they are precut and reflective orange.

12 DL650 Orange
09 DL650 Orange (Orange Club #28 )
07 Blue DL650-Traded for '09 Orange
:mrgreen: 07 Ninja ZX 6R-sold

Shad40 Cargo Top Case, Garmin Quest GPS w/RAM mount, Kisan Trailblazer brake light modulator, Powermadd handguards, GoPro video camera
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

After seeing the posts above, I've really wanted to do this on my bike.

I found some at my local Cycle Gear shop for $12.95 with the "tool". (They didn't have the orange with the tool, so I had to buy a yellow set with the tool and the orange without).

Then after watching the Youtube installation video to figure out how the "tool" worked, I realized I really needed a center stand. Not really being quite ready to invest in one, I got a poor man's version for the time being.

It also helps with dual bike storage and being able to get them in tighter.

$50 for the stand at Cycle Gear and $13.00 for some basic frame sliders.

The stand also has rubber blocks you can use to lift it up by the swing arms alone, but it feels a bit more secure with the sliders and V shaped wedges on the stand.

Next step is to get rid of those ugly wheel weights, maybe Dyna Beads, I've had good results with them before. Then a good cleaning and on goes the orange tape!

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Skype™ to rod1
Rim Strips

Hi Bourbon Boy, about 5 or 6 years ago, before I started riding again after a 30 odd year break, I noticed a motorcycle on a 'round about' here in Katoomba one night, simply because it had red reflective rim strips on both rims. It stood out so clearly I commented on it at the time, and, didn't hesitate to get a set here in Australia to fit to my 2011 DL 650.
http://rod1.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/.../DSC4615-L.jpg
and
http://rod1.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/.../DSC4620-L.jpg
also use Hi Vis vest..would hate for someone to say "Sorry Mate I Didnt See You"
http://rod1.smugmug.com/Other/Wentwo...-IMG0220-L.jpg
Oh..the reflective strips ordered here in Australia, arrived in a few days and were stick on strips. Plenty of strips for both sides of both wheels with left overs. Rod

Last edited by rod1; 04-06-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: to fix images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode