So whats the word on buffetting? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
So whats the word on buffetting?

Okay you lucky 2012 owners, of those of you who experienced buffetting on your previous "legacy" V-Stroms, what's the word with the new design body and stock windscreen? Did Suzuki get it right and is buffeting a thing of the past now?

I'm sure their upgraded windscreen with the laminar lip will be even better as I have the same screen (MRA Vario) on my '09 Wee and it's fantastic. Just curious about long-term reports from any experienced Strommers as to how the standard screen behaves - are buffetting complaints now likely to be over?

TIA

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
$tromtrooper

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.

14 tooth for me
post #3 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question

So is it like dirty air? Sorta like following a semi trailer?

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just finished my second day of 2012 wee ownership. I have a total of 110 miles. I have never ridden the old version stroms. I have the tall option seat and the stock shield mounted in the top position. I'm 6'4" with about 36" inseam. Today took me through a combination of straight on, cross, and tail wind with some gusty conditions.

This bike certainly lets a lot more air past the shield and fairing compared to the barn door on my Goldwing as expected. However the air is pretty clean and consistent and certainly doesn't qualify as buffeting by my definition. I know what buffeting is about with my wing and past motorcycles. So far I'm quite pleased with air management.

I expected to replace the shield since before buying the bike and still plan to, however my opinion of what will be the right solution is in question now because of my positive experience.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Never had the old model but I did have a 955 Tiger with some buffetting I had to work through. I have 800 miles on the new DL and experience little to no buffetting. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inseam. The windshield is still in the middle position becuase I haven't had a need to try the other positons. The wind hits me right at the top of the visor.

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #6 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hello All,

I just wanted to chime in briefly re: buffeting on the 'strom...I had a 2009 with a Givi D260 and a Madstad bracket - a perfect combo for me... the best thing about it is adjustment options for various wind and rain conditions ( e.g., more tilt in light rain/slow commute to help water slide off my face shield...)

Another thing I wanted to mention is that nobody talks about torso and head size... now, I must admit I have weird body dimensions - I am about 5'9", but with a large (XL helmet size) head, and a tall torso - about 31.5" inseam... This combination requires taller screens for me...I have sat on the new 'Strom a couple times, but I have not test ridden one yet... I would bet that even though I would get less buffeting that the old model, I would need a taller aftermarket screen for highway riding...

--John
post #7 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Better

BUT, remember this is a very rider specific thing.

On my K6 I had a home made spoiler on the windshield, my 2012 is stock.

The wind protection is also different - on the K6 during the commute I stayed drier, long hauls the 2012 surprisingly wins.

Rode several hours in heavy rain last weekend with leggings and an open weave mesh jacket on, I was barely damp when I stopped - most of the rain had been pushed around me.

On the commute my legs get wetter on the 2012, but at speed the 2012 aero is really good at deflecting rain and wind around the riders body.

Pete
post #8 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
BUT, remember this is a very rider specific thing.

On my K6 I had a home made spoiler on the windshield, my 2012 is stock.

The wind protection is also different - on the K6 during the commute I stayed drier, long hauls the 2012 surprisingly wins.

Rode several hours in heavy rain last weekend with leggings and an open weave mesh jacket on, I was barely damp when I stopped - most of the rain had been pushed around me.

On the commute my legs get wetter on the 2012, but at speed the 2012 aero is really good at deflecting rain and wind around the riders body.
That's interesting. I haven't done a long distance ride on the L2 yet, but it will happen after another week, down to SF.

In any case, I'd modified my K7 with madstand and MRA touring screen to get rid of buffeting, and the L2 with MRA is totally fine. At speed, I guess I can agree that yes it's pushing the air around me enough. There have been some days here in winter with crazy crosswinds, but of course the new bike has less "sail area" at least.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

slight wind noise but no buffeting on my 2012 . it also depends a lot on what shape your lid is , when i have a cheap make lid on its not as quiet as when ive got my shoei on. ive also tried raising and lowering the screen & it dosent seem to make any difference and im 5ft 9ins . not as good as my yamaha xj6 diversion was, the fairing on that was brilliant 70-80mph sat there in still air completely quiet..
post #10 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

I hav a 2012 adv. that I rode 550 miles on a very windy day. No buffeting noticeable. I ride a goldwing and a 1200GS(recently sold to make room for the Strom) and I see no reason to change the shield, which I had the assembler "set" on the highest position. I'm 6 ft. 2 inch. HB

Last edited by hardybaker; 03-08-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode