Snow on my 2012 pickup day - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Snow on my 2012 pickup day

I just picked up my 2012 DL650 Fox Orange V-Strom yesterday. The dealer where I purchased the bike is in West Virginia about two hours from my home in Northern Virginia. I rode my V-Rod up to the dealer on Saturday to visit my bike and sign all of the paperwork. I would have picked her up then but all of my friends were busy and I could not get a ride up there. Frustrated I decide to ride my bike up there as the temps were in the mid to high 40's. A little chilly but a good ride of about 210 miles round trip. I made arrangements with a friend to pick the bike up on Monday (Mar5). The plan was for him to drop me off there and I would ride the bike home (about 105 miles).

Well wouldn't you know it! Monday morning arrived with light and wet snow in my area. I called up to the dealer and they said that the sun was out but it was cold (34F). I looked at the forecast and it said that all of the weather would be out of the area by early afternoon. Under ordinary circumstances I would have waited. However, it can be tough to talk someone into investing a good 4 hours just so you can pickup a bike. I decided that I must strike while the iron is hot! Also, I could not wait! We hopped in the car and away we went. The snow stopped and the sun came out on our way up to the dealer so we thought we were in the clear. As soon as we rolled into the dealership, a new snow squall hit and hit hard. Not sticking, but it did make the roads wet.

Having signed the paperwork on Saturday, I hooked up my gerbings plug to the battery of the new bike and sent my friend on his way in the car. I fired up the bike and the heated gear and off I went. The roads were a little damp but the snow stopped. I spent the first few miles getting used to the shifting and the rpms of the bike. Keep in mind my other bike is an 03 Vrod so the change is significant. The pucker factor was a little high considering that this is my first new bike. I was concerned about the combination of factors including the fact that I was riding a new bike, the wet roads, and the cold. I stopped at the gas station outside of town and filled her up. After that it was non-stop the rest of the way.

I took the back roads so I could keep the bike at or under 5500 rpms (I re-read the manual after I got home and realized the target was 5000 rpms. Oh well, I never really hit anything over 5500 the whole way. As a matter of fact I tried to keep everything under 5000). The bike performed flawlessly! It was a blast and the combination of the fairing, handguards (OEM), heated gear, and the stock shield made the ride not only bearable but enjoyable at sub 40F temps. I was feeling great until I finally hit a stop light after crossing the state line heading back into Virginia. I took a look at my bike and she was covered in road salt/chemicals and water. No kidding duh! Oh well she is going to get dirty but I just rolled her off the showroom floor so I was a little worried about scratches etc. Anyway, I made it home and headed right out to the local (higher priced) dealer to purchase some S100 spray and some chain lube. I gave her a good wash with the S100, some cold water from a bucket and my hose. I spent about an hour drying and wiping her down and she looked just as good as she did in the showroom. I sill have a lot of riding to do. I am expecting to have some TRAX boxes and a center stand here by the weekend so I will be posting about how that goes.

Sorry for the long post but I thought it was worth sharing....

Last edited by Jarhead88; 03-07-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm impressed...

Heated gear makes "all" the difference in the world. My friends think I am a pussy for having it but nothing like warm hands/fee/arms/legs/etc.
One wants to be very careful on salted roads.

Enjoy your new bike.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead88 View Post
I took a look at my bike and she was covered in road salt/chemicals and water. No kidding duh! Oh well she is going to get dirty but I just rolled her off the showroom floor so I was a little worried about scratches etc. Anyway, I made it home and headed right out to the local (higher priced) dealer to purchase some S100 spray and some chain lube. I gave her a good wash with the S100, some cold water from a bucket and my hose. I spent about an hour drying and wiping her down and she looked just as good as she did in the showroom.

The great thing about new bikes is that they're actually fun to clean on the first few washed as you get to get up close and personal with them lol.

After my bikes' get older, the novelty of cleaning them wears off and becomes a chore for me.

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale

post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Heated gear makes "all" the difference in the world. My friends think I am a pussy for having it but nothing like warm hands/fee/arms/legs/etc.
One wants to be very careful on salted roads.

Enjoy your new bike.
Thanks. Could not agree more with you about the heated gear. Its the best investment in motorcycle gear I have ever made. A 105 mile 34 degree ride would be brutal without it.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congratulations! The GStrom is a confidence-inspiring bike, isn't it?

And +1 on heated gear. I picked up a Gerbings jacket liner yesterday and am actually kind of looking forward to a cold, wet weekend up here.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I"m kind of in the same boat. I have a small trailer I was thinking of using to pick up the new strom. Probably will use it. Don't wan't it to fall off on the way home!

I have hauled my XT on it for 500 miles so the Wee should be ok. IF I put a tarp over it and use the ratchet straps. And drive carefully and fairly slowly, stop and check it often as I can. The dealer might give me the WTF look when I load it up though. :mrgreen:

Glad you like the bike! I wan't to install cheap $28 heated grips when I get it also, the style you glue onto the handlebars. I put them on my XT last fall and they are great! You just have to insulate the left handlebar to get the heat even.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 03-07-2012 at 10:05 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats on the arrival.
That break-in RPM is mostly an exercise in rpm change. The makers want you to have a varied up-down cycle under lighter loads. When I got my Kawi new, I ran it at 70-75 mph the first run out and then behaved better. Got the best mileage riding so conservatively.
Still 5K rpm was a decent freeway speed in 6th.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the replies guys. I must admit I did have a good time giving her a good wash down. I also thought about waiting and trailering her with a another friend but it still would have gotten dirty that way too so I just got to enjoy the ride. I ordered TRAX boxes, Oxford heated grips and a center stand. That should be all it needs for now. I was thinking about how much this would have cost me if I purchased another Harley and it would be at least double maybe 2.5 times and now I have a totally different bike for a totally different purpose. I am happy with the decision and I still dig the orange.

PS - If I had the option, I think the Euro/Canadian white version is very cool as well. It would have been a touch decision if I had the choice between the two.

Last edited by Jarhead88; 03-09-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode