Dan Vesel Soft Luggage Guards for 2012 V-Strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs up Dan Vesel Soft Luggage Guards for 2012 V-Strom

Since part of the reason behind choosing the V-Strom was to do some touring, one of the first priorities was to set it up with some luggage. I spent some time researching what was available and got a very rude shock. There are some great quality options available, but man are they expensive!

I started researching Pelican rip-off cases but after some consideration, I realised that I neither want nor need hard luggage on the bike permanently. I want the bike as slim and light as possible for commuting so anything I buy has to be easily removable. I think some soft 'throw over' panniers will be ideal for now and more than adequate for our first, short camping trips. If we end up doing lots of serious touring my position may change but I doubt that will happen for some time. So I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a set of Nelson-Rigg CL-850's very soon.

But first the bike needs to be ready to accept them. Just like previous years models, there's nothing to support panniers on the left. That's where Dan Vesel came to the rescue. As the 2012 was yet to be released in the US at the time, we exchanged a number of emails with many measurements and photo so Dan could build a prototype. I'm pleased to say that it bolted straight on and I think it looks a million bucks. I opted for the Agri Tube Luggage Guard since the tube is fairly unobtrusive and affords extra storage options. His page is well worth a look if you own a V-Strom (any year/model), I cannot recommend him highly enough. Both his workmanship and customer service are superb. Dan can be contacted at CHERDAN [at] webtv [dot] net and I'm sure he's also a member here.

The rear end of the rack slips under the plastics on the duck tail and fits over a steel boss that's part of the sub frame (no it doesn't mount to anything plastic). This flexes the plastics slightly but does not put the rear out of alignment or interfere with the seat lock at all. The front end has two holes and simply bolts in-between the passenger footpeg bracket and the frame.

I'll keep the images separate to stop each post getting too big. The following posts show the Agri-Tube Luggage Guard from a number of angles. Installation was a piece of cake, it doesn't interfere with anything on the bike and I think it looks like it was designed to be there from the start.

Psst - I also have one of his prototype switchplates for the cockpit - it looks even better than the one he's made for previous years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage

post #3 of 16 Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage

post #4 of 16 Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage

post #5 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks good Austrom! I have one of these guards ordered myself.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pics Yet?

Austrom-
Do you have any pics yet with the CL-850's and the Vesel guard yet?

I am ready to buy this setup as well, but I am concerned that the exhaust shield might not come down far enough to protect the luggage.

Thanks!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm afraid I don't yet. The CL-850's took forever to arrive here, only got them last week! I've tried them on the bike once but not had cause to use them yet. My first test fit indicated that they'll be OK. Work best on the 'Luggage Guard' side but fine on the exhaust IMHO (bear in mind I've never used soft luggage before).

Will try and get pics and post them soon.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I've only ~100 miles with the CL850's attached but have experienced no problems.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm looking to get the same setup for my 05 Wee. How do you actually order the Agri-Tube storage tube guard combination. I went to his site, but couldn't find a way to order anything. Also there are no prices listed, how much did the setup cost?

Ride History
2005 DL 650
1989 TREK 850 Mountain Bike
1974 SCHWINN BANANA SEAT (probably worth more than the wee now, oh well)
post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

yankeepac - I just emailed Dan at [email protected] when I ordered my luggage guard. He responds quickly & is great to work with. He sent my guard, the day he received my check. Didn't even wait for it to clear.

2012 Vstrom 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode