2012 Scottoiler Install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 Scottoiler Install

Hi there

Have read a few threads on this product and have purchased the V system. I've also looked at the Scottolier website for some further install tips. Overall the install looks pretty straight forward. One query I havent been able to answer yet is that to get to the vacuum connection it looks like I will need to lift the fuel tank to access the vacuum hose and route the hose to the oil reservoir ? Just thought I ask your opinions before I start the install.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
$tromtrooper

I have one on order as well. I'm planning on pulling all the plastics and the gas tank to make my electrical add-ons easier to install. I'll do the oiler at the same time.

My bike is outside under a snow covered fabric cover so I can't double check, but I seem to recall the emissions canister is located next to the seat tray on the opposite side of the bike to the drive chain. That might be a good place to tap.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am about to install a Scottoiler vSystem onto an L2 and your impression matches mine.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
That isn't a vacuum canister. It's a charcoal canister that has a vent to the tank on one side and a purge tube to the throttle body on the other side. People trying to use it as a vacuum canister for an Audiovox cruise control found it doesn't hold a vacuum. There are capped spigots on the throttle bodies to be used for TBS connections that are your best vacuum sources.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
That isn't a vacuum canister. It's a charcoal canister that has a vent to the tank on one side and a purge tube to the throttle body on the other side.
Got it -- would have found that out after taking the plastic off.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #6 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

johnofchar's VSRI scottoiler post

It is worth using Search on VSRI in this case I think.

Good luck.

Cory
07 DL650A
Pleasanton CA
post #7 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info and tips! I was wondering if the T piece that came with the scottoiler V will plug straight into the 2012 vac hose, i.e. is that vac hose the same inside diameter as the pre 2012 stroms? Thought I should check before I start cutting the hose.

Thanks
post #8 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
There are vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. The pre 2012 ports take 1/8" tightly, 5/32" or 4mm ID vacuum hose. I would think the 2012s would be the same. Once again, the bikes do not come with vacuum hoses, just ports. The hoses on the throttle bodies are for emissions control and can't be used for vacuum.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
There are vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. The pre 2012 ports take 1/8" tightly, 5/32" or 4mm ID vacuum hose. I would think the 2012s would be the same. Once again, the bikes do not come with vacuum hoses, just ports. The hoses on the throttle bodies are for emissions control and can't be used for vacuum.
Ok thanks Grey Wolf, install is now complete the oiler seems to be working fine. The most difficult part was as I suspected removing the tank plastic. I found the instructions in the factory handbook to be a tad vague but overall pretty good.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddohawk View Post
Ok thanks Grey Wolf, install is now complete the oiler seems to be working fine. The most difficult part was as I suspected removing the tank plastic. I found the instructions in the factory handbook to be a tad vague but overall pretty good.
The plastic tank sides are VERY TIGHT. I don't remember which direction they move but I had one off about 2 weeks ago. It has to slide before it will come outward. I thought it would break before it moved but it didn't.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode