Hell for Learher reviews '12 DL650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hell for Learher reviews '12 DL650

Why you don’t want the best motorcycle you’ll ever ride | Hell for Leather

What makes a motorcycle good? Is it big horsepower numbers and a long list of novel technology? Its ability to triple the highway speed limit? Is it presence in a TV show or its ability to impress your buddies on a motorcycle forum? This new 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 has none of that. When it leaked last year, we even called it boring. But, after spending over a month on it, that opinion has changed totally. The V-Strom might not be the sexiest motorcycle out there, but it is the most broadly capable weíve ridden.

Photos: Sean Smith

Yikes

I didnít want to ride the V-Strom. Totally content with the Triumph Tiger 800 XC Iíd been cruising around on for a while, I didnít even realize Sean and Grant had added it to our fleet. Then, while we were in Portland, Triumph picked its bike back up and I was left to hop back on whatever was waiting for me in Seanís garage. It turned out that bike was the V-Strom.

Someone at Suzukiís design center forgot to sweep up.

Not so much plain as just hideously ugly, the Suzuki suffers from an unfortunate visual combination of Dame Edna headlamps, a hefty use of woefully fake carbon fiber, dumpy proportions, ugly mechanical components and just a general air of cheapness. In all black, at least, itís so boring that you forget youíre looking at it.

That brings its own benefits. Running from Hollywood over to Inglewood the other day, to service one of Seanís bell rings, I was too busy busting traffic to realize Iíd entered a 25 zone in a neighborhood. On the wrong side of a double yellow, passing a line of stationary traffic, well over the speed limit, I passed a motor cop coming the other direction. He didnít even blink; I donít think the V-Strom even registered in his consciousness.

A two-wheeled taxi cab

And running around is what the V-Strom has been doing. Grant needed to run up to Willow Springs, an hour and a half of highway riding away, to scout a shoot we were doing. Did he take the KTM 990 Adventure, Aprilia Mana GT or that Tiger we had laying around? Nope, his go-to for highway comfort was the humble Suzuki.

Two weeks ago, I had to run to Brea so a 6í 5Ē Frenchman could return a bike to the Victory dealer there. 45 minutes there, then an hour back, two up, with 385lbs and 12í 7Ē of international bike journalist on board, through heavy LA rushhour traffic. After spending 30 seconds maxing out the rear preload via the handy remote adjuster, the little Suzuki didnít just perform admirably carrying that load, it turned out to be probably the best passenger bike Iíd ever ridden. Enough, that by the time we arrived home, David exclaimed at least six times, ďI canít believe Iím alive! I canít believe Iím alive!Ē

The huge seat, low pillion pegs and enormous grab handles help there, obviously, but more important is the ability of the chassis to remain composed even carrying such an extraordinary load. Just a 68bhp 650, I was worried about the engine and brakes being up to the task too. I shouldnít have been. From the first 1mph ride across the dealerís parking lot to turn onto the road, it was clear that the V-Strom was going to remain utterly composed even with two big dudes on board. That remained true at 100mph, nearly fully leant over on a nice on-ramp and splitting up a gridlocked 101 at low speed to get home. The V-Strom was absolutely as good two-up as it is solo.

Stop!

The single best thing about this bike? The brakes. Theyíre not radials, thereís no braided steel lines, even Suzukiís official spec sheet doesnít make must mention of them, just listing ďDisc brake, twinĒ in place of the typical marketing hullabaloo. Thereís humble twin Tokico sliding calipers up front and an ABS sensor ring. Itís the latter that makes the difference. Squeeze the front lever as hard as you can, stomp on the rear, and the Suzuki just stops. No drama, no vibration, no weird feedback from the ABS unit. These are some of the most reassuring, powerful, easy-to-use motorcycle brakes ever. Reasonable quality damping means the front dives in a controlled manner while delivering excellent feedback through the Bridgestone Trailwings.

The brakes work equally well when youíre not panic braking too. Again, good damping and excellent feel through every component just equals complete confidence. Thatís true trailing through high speed mountain corners, between lines of traffic in town or just before that cop with the radar gun sees you on the highway. If youíre not a believer in ABS on motorcycles yet, just try the V-Strom and prepare to be a total convert.

Whatíre you riding mister?

Ok, thereís not often a ďmisterĒ in the question, but you know how it is. Roll into a party or a restaurant or a bar or a whatever with a helmet and, invariably, another male is going to attempt to gauge the size of your penis in comparison to his own by asking what type of bike youíre riding. While an accurate answer would be, ďWhatever it is, itís faster than your car,Ē Iím resolved to be less of an asshole this year. So, instead, after ďV-Strom 650Ē meets blank stares, I proceed to bore my potential new friends with a 10 minute explanation that goes something like this:

You see, Mr. Averse To All Risk, not every bike is either a Harley or a crotch rocket. There exists among motorcyclists a curious subset of riders who actually use motorcycles as their sole means of transportation. Yes, you can still ride in the rain, you just get a little wet. Well, we wear clothing that protects us from crashes and weather and stuff. Here, punch my back. Yeah, sorry, that looked like it hurt. See? Well, some bikes are made to be good at that transportation thing. You can take them on long trips and theyíre comfortable and you can go grocery shopping with them and ride them to work. Did you know I get better MPG than your Prius? Yeah, Hybridís get 0mpg when theyíre sitting still. No really, they do. Trust me, I used to write about cars. No, I donít want to explain why, itís boring. Oh hey look, a pretty girl.

All thatís much more impressive when Iíve got some flashy sportsbike or a GS or something. But it doesnít matter, theyíre just jealous that I get to wear a leather jacket.

As fast as possible

The other day, it wasnít some random car driver asking, it was Adey, who apparently managed to walk into the Bourgeois Pig without registering the V-Strom parked immediately adjacent to the front door. He knew what a V-Strom was when I told him, you could tell because he looked a little sorry for me. So then I explained that Iím probably faster around town on it than anyone is on their sportsbike. Now, Iíd never want to try and prove that to Adey, someone who lives like losing isnít an option, but I stand by that statement.

Around the city, fancy tires are no good. Theyíll never warm up and hate even the faintest hint of moisture. The V-Stromís Trailwings grip solidly from cold. Around the city, ass up and head down just leads to uninformed decision making and sore wrists. Meanwhile, for the last month, Iíve been looking over cars. The Suzukiís wide bars make for extremely fast, accurate steering and thereís a huge amount of lock for carving up difficult lines of stationary cars. The engine might only make 68bhp and 44lb/ft, but is smooth, eager and easy to use. I can give it full throttle pretty much anywhere and rev-matched down shifts are easy to get perfect, every time. Somewhere in the aluminum beam frame, RWU forks and linkage shock, Suzukiís installed more confidence than youíll find in virtually any other motorcycle. Just pin the V-Strom and go, itís as fast as youíre willing to take it.

A new model, mostly in name

Changes to the V-Strom for 2012? Different suspension damping, a different fairing a new seat (probably the comfiest bike seat out there) and the motor from the Gladius, here tuned for a little more low and mid-range. Yeah, thatís not much. But, somehow, itís also everything. The engine is now much smoother and generally just feels larger than its spec sheet suggests. Youíll mostly ride along using the mid-range torque to effortlessly pass traffic, even in 6th gear. Youíll have to keep reminding yourself that itís just a 650, the ease with which it wafts along on that 44lb/ft of torque feels much more like a 1,200cc air-cooled twin.

Adventure spec

The model you see here is the $9,799 V-Strom 650 Adventure. Over the base $8,299 model it gains aluminum panniers, crash bars and a big windscreen with an adjustable lip. Weíd spend that $1,500 on aftermarket parts instead. That amount of money will get you further shopping online and, while those aluminum cases sure are nice, theyíre freakishly wide. Not a huge problem for people unfortunate enough to live where lane splitting isnít legal, but they essentially make the bike as wide as a car. Thatís why theyíre not pictured here, we havenít been using them at all because theyíre just too wide. The crash bars seem curiously specíd too; they look as if theyíd protect the radiator well in a topple over, but weíre mostly concerned about ripping the exposed oil filter off on an obstacle off-road. A skid plate would be our first protection upgrade.

Grant took the V-Strom to the trails off San Francisquito canyon north of LA and reports that, wearing road-biased tires, itís pretty much as capable as any other ADV bike. Which is to say: stick to fire roads. Thereís no ABS off switch (you can always pull a fuse), but the brakes are still plenty capable of stopping you on the dirt; plus youíre never going to lock up the front and topple over.

Nothing more than necessary

At $8,299, the base V-Strom is extremely competitively priced. Way more suited to long distance stuff than the $7,899 Kawasaki Versys and just as fun around town. Considerably cheaper than the $10,999 Tiger 800, just as capable at most things and more capable at distance, if not quite as much fun.

But, this is such a good bike, that you end up wishing Suzuki would have taken the time to make it even better. At 472lbs, itís the same weight as other mid-capacity ADV-style bikes, but you feel more effort could have pared off more of that weight, leading to better performance on-road and off. Neither are the slim, compact dimensions of the v-twin taken advantage of; the V-Strom isnít particularly narrow or compact. Perhaps the best visual indicator of this feeling comes when you look through the huge gap around the forks, into the unfinished inner side of the front fairing. Taped up wires are left dangling loose behind raw plastic; Suzuki put no more effort in than was strictly necessary.

Wonderfully boring

The V-Strom 650 is a wonderful motorcycle. Itís fun, fast and easy around town. Itís relaxed and comfy on the highway. Itís great two-up. Itís cheap and it has what are probably the best real-world brakes and most comfy seat in motorcycling. If youíre looking for a practical commuter, tourer or do-it-all, all-weather bike, then look no further. If youíre looking for something that will make you feel special, look further.

Tomorrow, Iím going to get on the V-Strom and ride it to Grantís place across town. Itís going to be fast, comfy and safe on the way over there. But thatís not the ride Iím looking forward to. No, Iím looking forward to the ride back on something far less capable, but far more exciting.

Categories: Dailies, Galleries
Tags: 2012, 2012 Suzuki V-strom 650, 650, ABS, ADV, Adventure, featured, Review, Suzuki, Suzuki V-Strom 650, test, V-strom
decodent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

"Hideously ugly" and "wonderfully boring", those guys ought to be in the matchmaking business.

'11 DL650
'10 Tiger 1050
'09 XR1200
'09 400 Burgman
'07 DR650
'01 HD FXD
'97 R1100RT
post #3 of 18 Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's a pretty good and accurate review. I disagree with the ugly though, I think it looks quite good. :mrgreen:

post #4 of 18 Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

2012 V "Model 12"

I like the looks also. I've only had it for a couple weeks (over 300mi) and I am being engaged in more parking lot conversations than any of the 20 bikes I've owned. Riders are more aware of this bike than I thought.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for posting...this combined with all the other reviews I read sets my mind at ease for ponying up the cash for this bike. Seems like it will be well worth it.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

That's one hell of a writeup. Good to read a great review from a V-Strom hater. That review is similar to other reviews I've read. Folks just can't believe that a bike that looks so bad (in their opinion) can be so good to ride. It is getting more and more difficult not to buy a 2012.

Paul "Happy Wanderer"
"I want to live. I want to experience the universe,
and I want to eat pie"
2008 DL650 (BeeStrom) *SOLD*
2006 DL1000 (Quick Silver)
2013 Piaggio BV350 (BlackWidow)
2007 Kawasaki Nomad (Scarlet)

[url]http://motophotofile.blogspot.com[/url]
post #7 of 18 Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Living the Stereotype

My wife thinks the new 'Strom looks better and she's a Harley girl.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
post #8 of 18 Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
$tromtrooper

The form of the new bike is more pleasing, but the materials look cheap. I was quite disappointed.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
post #9 of 18 Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto1337 View Post
While an accurate answer would be, ďWhatever it is, itís faster than your car,Ē Iím resolved to be less of an asshole this year.
Quote of the week, IMO!

[CENTER][SIZE="1"]2011 V-Strom DL650 ABS - Black[/SIZE][/CENTER]
post #10 of 18 Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

What type of bike is that?

I do get a lot of comments along the lines of "What type of bike is that?" I've gotten "is that a BMW," "is that a Ducati" on my de-badged '08 DL650. I think the crashbars and skidplate (hepco becker), when I had them on there, made it a lot more distinctive looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode