Saddlebag options for 2012 Wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Saddlebag options for 2012 Wee

I'm looking for a set of lockable hard saddlebags capable of stowing a full face helmet. I just bought a 2012 DL650 and had a DL1000 a few bikes ago with the Givi monokey bags which I liked. The OEM bags are $750 USD which I assume includes mounting hardware. Twisted Throttle has brackets for the 2012, but Givi has a bunch of models now - kinds confusing. Of course I want something that minimizes width, but still fits a helmet. Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hey, I just put on the Givi Trekker Luggage (monokey) on my 2012 V-Strom

The mounting brackets I used for that was the:

GIVI SR3101 Rear Plate
GIVI PL3101 Pannier Holder

These are designed for the new 2012 model, but I did find the pannier rack a pain in the ass to fit as the right rack holes did not align to the bike holes by about 4mm, so I had to use a bit of 'man-strength' (lol) to align them.

But now they are fitted, they are perfect! And i'd definately buy them again.

If you are looking for hard side luggage that can hold a helmet then the Givi V35's can! As this video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaYK6gojZNA

To install them you'd need the GIVI PLX3101 Pannier Holder

Hope this helps :-)

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale

Last edited by citizen4; 02-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

The 40L Hepco & Becker will hold a large full face helmet. Be cafeful with the Givi V35s though. Whether or not your full face helmet fits depends on what size and make it is. My large Aria fit but my large Schuberth does not. Best to try before you buy if that is possible.

post #4 of 24 Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I like the look of the V35. Close in price to the OEM bags. The OEM bag has a smaller case on one side to fit the exhaust. Does it tuck tighter than the V35? Any pics of them mounted on a DL650?
post #5 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can't get my helmet into the OEM/TraX side boxes. I just use the under-seat helmet hangers.

[URL="https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/211578-california-idaho-lolo-motorway-magruder.html"]California to Idaho Adventure style[/URL]
[URL=http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478959]Taking America by Strom 2015[/URL]

-----------------------
Timing is everything.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen4 View Post
Hey, I just put on the Givi Trekker Luggage (monokey) on my 2012 V-Strom

The mounting brackets I used for that was the:

GIVI SR3101 Rear Plate
GIVI PL3101 Pannier Holder

These are designed for the new 2012 model, but I did find the pannier rack a pain in the ass to fit as the right rack holes did not align to the bike holes by about 4mm, so I had to use a bit of 'man-strength' (lol) to align them.

But now they are fitted, they are perfect! And i'd definately buy them again.

If you are looking for hard side luggage that can hold a helmet then the Givi V35's can! As this video shows: Givi Luggage Racks and V35 Side Cases on Yamaha FZ6 - YouTube

To install them you'd need the GIVI PLX3101 Pannier Holder

Hope this helps :-)
+1 on the Givi Trekker Panniers.

Have the 46 Litre on the non-exhaust side, and the 33 Litre on the exhaust side. This way they look more symmetrical as the Givi pannier frames sit out more on the exhaust side for clearance.

The 46 Litre will easily hold a full face helmet and then some

I used the PLR3101 Rapid Release Frames, as they can be taken on and off in under a minute.

Recommend the Trekker, plus they look awesome! :mrgreen:

post #7 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Recommend the Trekker, plus they look awesome!
They certainly do, a nice blend of the hard aluminum pannier and black ABS plastic look. They go well with the style of the bike.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #8 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
+1 on the Givi Trekker Panniers.

Have the 46 Litre on the non-exhaust side, and the 33 Litre on the exhaust side. This way they look more symmetrical as the Givi pannier frames sit out more on the exhaust side for clearance.

The 46 Litre will easily hold a full face helmet and then some

I used the PLR3101 Rapid Release Frames, as they can be taken on and off in under a minute.

Recommend the Trekker, plus they look awesome! :mrgreen:
Nice looking setup. Do you have a shot from the rear showing the symmetry by chance? I'm thinking about this setup as well, but still not decided on which combination of sizes to get. I know the 33 and 46 can go on the sides or top. What's your top box?
post #9 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Nice looking setup. Do you have a shot from the rear showing the symmetry by chance? I'm thinking about this setup as well, but still not decided on which combination of sizes to get. I know the 33 and 46 can go on the sides or top. What's your top box?
My top case is the 52 Litre Trekker.

I will get some pics from the rear on the weekend for you
post #10 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
$tromtrooper

I ride a VStrom 650 and I chose the Givi V35 because they are contoured well to this bike and sit low unlike some of the other bags which are higher than the seat. This has been posted before but might be helpful. It shows the V35 and others on the bike.

Comparo bagagerie rigide - Valises pour la DL 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode