2012 Acceleration - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 Acceleration

Hello,

Has Anyone seen stats on Acceleration for the 2012 (0 to 60 and standing 1/4 mile.) ?

Or, has anyone been to the drag strip with a '12?

Thanks,

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

No, it is quicker but not a lot on a straight drag.You may find results in some of the magazine reviews.

There's a T intersection on an empty country road on my usual weekend loop with a road sign as a marker - if it's quiet I usually wind the bike out through the gears from the T to the sign - the L2 is ~5kph faster over a couple of hundred m.

A drag strip isn't the whole answer, I did a 4.5 hour ride yesterday and was running about 20 minutes faster than the time on my K6.

The big gain was corner speed and corner to corner acceleration, some of that is handling, some is the wider power band on the L2 The L2 bike accelerates cleanly from around 3k, my K6 from about 4k. So going into a 40k corner @4k rpm on the K6 if I accelerate hard I'd get to 80kph and need a gear change @8k - the L2 entry 40k @3k, change at around 105kph @8k.

That's assuming I'd ride that hard, normally - just cruising - I'd be shifting at about 6k - the K6 I'd be changing gear at 60kph, the L2 at 80kph.

Same sort of gain on downshifts going into corners, there's just a lot more flexibility on the L2 - the net result is that it's quicker A-B.

It'd be a lot closer with a 'professional rider' on both bikes, the power difference isn't great but for just an average rider the L2 eats more miles in the same time, it's more relaxed riding as well despite the slightly higher average speeds.

Pete
post #3 of 27 Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you are deciding on buying a Wee based on quarter mile times... I suggest you look at a completely different bike... No one buys a Wee for speed regardless of the year...

2015 DL650AL5 in Blue

post #4 of 27 Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
$tromtrooper

I don''t think my 2012 is any faster than my 2007. I have all of 20 miles on the new bike. If there is a diff, it's unimportant.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #5 of 27 Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hello Again,

It is not a deal-dependent interest - just curious... actually, what I should have asked is for a complete technical review, similar to what motorcycle consumer news did for the 2004 DL 650 - very thorough - I have not seen this kind of review of the 2012 DL. I realize that acceleration is not what the DL is about - I owned a 2009 for two years... although, I was initially intrigued to find that the '09 had 0 - 60 time of 3.98 seconds - pretty cool!

It is not so much about off the line speed as much as a useful power band - especially in the twisties - without having to shift so much. I am also interested in overtaking speed in the higher gears - for passing safety on the 2 laners.

Call me crazy, but I am interested in returning to the DL after having ridden a Concours 14 for the last year... one reason is that bone stock - without a Power Commander, flies out, and less restrictive pipe, the Connie seems to actually be slower than the DL in the areas I mentioned I am concerned about. I find that I have to shift about the same with the Connie to stay in the power band...

Another concern for me is stability in the wind, and also weather protection... I have looked at the 2012 DL, and I wonder about both of these areas - given the trimmed fairing and being taller than the old DL...

I am also thinking again about off road, and in that vein, the lighter '12 DL is welcome - although, why does mother Suz. insist on us paying an arm and a leg for off road stuff that should be standard?

Sorry for straying from the thread - any info. welcome...

--John
post #6 of 27 Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Hello Again,

It is not a deal-dependent interest - just curious... actually, what I should have asked is for a complete technical review, similar to what motorcycle consumer news did for the 2004 DL 650 - very thorough - I have not seen this kind of review of the 2012 DL. I realize that acceleration is not what the DL is about - I owned a 2009 for two years... although, I was initially intrigued to find that the '09 had 0 - 60 time of 3.98 seconds - pretty cool!

It is not so much about off the line speed as much as a useful power band - especially in the twisties - without having to shift so much. I am also interested in overtaking speed in the higher gears - for passing safety on the 2 laners.

Call me crazy, but I am interested in returning to the DL after having ridden a Concours 14 for the last year... one reason is that bone stock - without a Power Commander, flies out, and less restrictive pipe, the Connie seems to actually be slower than the DL in the areas I mentioned I am concerned about. I find that I have to shift about the same with the Connie to stay in the power band...

Another concern for me is stability in the wind, and also weather protection... I have looked at the 2012 DL, and I wonder about both of these areas - given the trimmed fairing and being taller than the old DL...

I am also thinking again about off road, and in that vein, the lighter '12 DL is welcome - although, why does mother Suz. insist on us paying an arm and a leg for off road stuff that should be standard?

--John
Since I've had both.

You'll probably love the better power band. Roll on passing rather than shift down and pass for example. Like I said, the difference on a drag strip may not show much, but it's a much easier ride.

Reaction to wind is less, but I put a fork brace and steering damper on the first week so it never got tested at highway speeds stock. I also havn't had it up to seriously illegal speeds, but it feels more stable passing trucks 'quickly'.

Rain protection isn't as good, but wind protection is better. In light rain you'll get damp shoulders and outside legs, with the 06 it was damp shoulders and outsides of knees. No significant buffeting stock. The big win for me though, in heavy rain ice cold water doesn't pool in my crutch to the same extent.

Off road it's a lot better, lighter, steers better, more stable. For me anyway the ABS just works , the big win isn't stopping distances, though I don't lose much if anything there, it's the back end of the bike not wagging around when I lock the rear. I've hit the anchors hard both ends on gravel and the bike just pulls up in a straight line, if I had the balls to do that to my K6 it'd be pretty ugly even if I didn't drop it.

The off road stuff isn't expensive to add.

Personally I'd avoid the Suzuki lower guard, it does nothing to stop crap hitting the bottom of the bike, and my K6 looked like it'd been taken to with a ball peen hammer before I put a sump guard on. There's a lot of stuff comes UP off the road and hits the bottom on dirt roads.

Pete
post #7 of 27 Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
If you are deciding on buying a Wee based on quarter mile times... I suggest you look at a completely different bike... No one buys a Wee for speed regardless of the year...
True, but 1/4 mile times may be all you can go on for an idea of the kind of passing speed a given bike has before buying it. When i'm in the Rockies wanting to pass a semi on a twisty road doing it fast isn't an option, it's a must. The 650 is good to go for me.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post

--John
I was riding in gusts in the 40 to 50 mph range on Sunday. My 2012 has not yet had any mods that would have an effect on handling. No fork brace, no change in steering geometry. I have firmed up the Pre-load front and back (I'm a big guy)

My gf was on the back and I found the bike much more stable than my 2006 was when it was stock. I suspect it isn't much different than my 2006 is with fork brace and raised forks. The new bike is much better stock than theold was.

I might put on the fork brace in the next few days but have a pretty busy schedule so it might not happen.

As far as offload goes, no everyone is into the offload stuff. I routinely ride down gravel roads but really look at mine as being a road bike with a bit more flexibility.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #9 of 27 Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Even while adhering to the break in I can tell you it is not slow by any means and I am over 215 lbs on any given day. My first impression is the bike feels more secure in corners and therefor inspires greater speed. I bought it more for the ergos than anything though. The fact it had 0% financing was a just a sweetener-

Clarksville, TN
Blue DL650K7~ sold
Orange DL650AL2

I like my brain. My brain likes helmets. I wear a helmet.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

My guess is that it can run in the high 12 second range with a good rider. I got in the high 12's with my 2001 SV650S and a modded one got in the low 12's.

I ran 11.15 sec @ 124 mph with the big SV about 5 years ago.. Stretched and dropped ones with a pro rider can get just under 10 seconds!

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 03-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode