2012 WEE Strom 650 Alternator output - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
Arne,

Would you mind posting how you add another alternator? I am really curious. I have a full set of Gerbings gear that can pull 165 watts. Actually head to Fort Eustis, VA tomorrow morning and temps at home are expected to be around 19 degrees. It is about 285 miles and 5 hours so it will be interesting. I bought a spare battery (lithium) in case I drain the battery from pulling too much with the heated gear. The trip is for work and can't risk a dead battery and no way to get going. I wonder why Suzuki would keep an alternator with such low power output on the V-Strom.
I am essentially doing the same thing realshelby has done with his DL1000. Mounting the alternator in the same general place but because the cylinder on the DL650 is offset to the left it will stick out a little more. The shaft that will drive the pulley is solid and has M12 thread on one end and will screw into the crank and hold the rotor in place. An Aluminium piece screwed onto the magneto cover using the same bolt holes that keep the stator attached will hold a seal and bearing. Again, it is virtually the same thing as realshelby's except that things stick out a little further. I do not plan on removing the stock alternator from the bike at this point. I can post some pictures when I get a chance. I am not done yet. It is a time consuming process.

[SIZE="2"]2009 ABS DL650[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I own a 2004 DL650 V-Strom and just went for a test ride with Gerbings Micro-Wire Jacket, Pants, Gloves, and Socks.

I have an Eastern Beaver kit that allows me to turn off one of the headlights.

I have an LED tail light installed.

With the dual controller set to a point where both channels are lit and "on" about 75% of the time, I had zero electrical issues.

I don't think the Wee will give you trouble if you use a temp controller that allows you to cycle the heat, and you shut one headlight off.

Cheers.
My gear:
liner 90W
pants 44W
gloves 27W
socks 17W
2 x 10W solstice lights = 20 W (more in reality)
couple 3W extra rear lights.
Admore lighting kit.

All lighting on the bike is LED except the license plate light.
Using HID headlights, you don't gain much wattage by using HID's.
Planning on adding additional LED lights (maybe the krista's). I do have a
headlight cutout switch.

heated gear : ~178W + lights ~ >200W

I know that not all pieces of gear are on 100% of the time but I get cold REAL fast so it is generally on at a high duty cycle. Pulling one headlight is not going to do it, and certainly not sitting at a traffic light.

post #13 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowlyRowl View Post
some good tips here

Calculating Excess Electrical Capacity - Learning Center - Powerlet Products

definitely changing to LED lights will make a difference. i usually get my jeep alternators rewound for about 30% increase but never though about a bike. I may look into it though.
Changing turn signals to LED's doesn't gain you much considering they are more off than on. Changing brake lights can have a larger impact. Attempts have been made by some companies to rewind the stators for the v-strom with little success.

A full set of heated garments uses a lot more than the 35-77W mentioned in that link.

I forgot to add in my previous post that I will be adding heated grips as well.

post #14 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Arne, keep up the good work! It IS time consuming. When making every single part besides the bearing, seal, alternator from scratch the time consumed just to figure out, build, test fit.....and sometimes redo a small bracket can take way longer than most owners have the patience for. But, is IS the only way to wattage freedom. Mine is still doing its job, with a few hiccups along the way. Below is the link, I need to update it concerning pulley ratios.

HIGH OUTPUT CHARGING SYSTEM

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #15 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
A full set of heated garments uses a lot more than the 35-77W mentioned in that link.
I read the article as showing that most heated garments (gloves, vests, pants liners, etc.) use between 35-77W - individually, not as a full set. Not everyone likes to ride a motorcycle in sub-freezing temps with heated footsie pajamas under their riding gear

I have a set of Powerlet heated gloves that are listed as drawing up to 24W/pair that I use all the time (instead of heated grips), and a rarely used Powerlet jacket liner that can draw as much as 105W but has a setting to top out at 60W. My electrical accessories are otherwise pure stock equipment, which I will assume is about the same as the earlier DL650s in draw - headlights, tail lights, etc., - maybe a little higher for the digital dash.

So if the 2002 V-Strom had an excess capacity of 75W, and the 2007+ bikes bumped up the alternator output by 40W (360W to 400W), then I'm guessing there is about 100W of excess capacity on the stock 2012 DL650AL2. Not a lot, but enough to safely use my gloves and liner at the 60W setting, or possibly the jacket at the higher setting but dialed down with the controller.
post #16 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
My gear:
liner 90W
pants 44W
gloves 27W
socks 17W
2 x 10W solstice lights = 20 W (more in reality)
couple 3W extra rear lights.
Admore lighting kit.

All lighting on the bike is LED except the license plate light.
Using HID headlights, you don't gain much wattage by using HID's.
Planning on adding additional LED lights (maybe the krista's). I do have a
headlight cutout switch.

heated gear : ~178W + lights ~ >200W

I know that not all pieces of gear are on 100% of the time but I get cold REAL fast so it is generally on at a high duty cycle. Pulling one headlight is not going to do it, and certainly not sitting at a traffic light.
FWIW, it's important to wear elec gear as close to the skin as practical for best heat.Obviously we are all different, but I'm getting kinda old and chill more than some. I wear my jacket over a poly shirt & never turn it up much past 50% or it will get really hot!!!. Mine is the "old style" Gerbings & they say the microwire is even better-I don't need better. Maybe the microwires draw less too? Worth checking if draw is an issue as would be LED aux lts.
post #17 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Figure the 2003 and up Vees or 2008 and up Wees have 125W-150W available over stock at cruising speed. I have a 2007 Wee with 25W less. With one headlight off, I can ride long distances comfortably in temperatures in the mid to upper 30s Fahrenheit with a heated jacket liner, grips, gloves and socks along with an insulated jacket and pants. For trips under an hour, the heated socks aren't necessary. The gear is never turned to full heat. Mount a voltmeter and don't go for long below the 12.6-12.8V break even point.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #18 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

cold ride

You can make your ride much more comfortable for your feet by using toe warmers from Wally World or Kmart. They are about a buck and stick to your socks and add heat for about 6 hours. Put on 2 sets if your feet get really cold. Hope this helps.
Pappy
post #19 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks for all the suggestions on managing electrical power so far. I appreciate it. There are two reasons I am doing (attempting) this modification. The first, and main, reason is simply that I do not want to have to juggle the load by pulling headlights and turning down heated gear at a traffic light. I want to be able to plug in accessories without worrying about having enough capacity. The secondary reason is simply to see if it can be done on a Wee. I think it can.

realshelby gets the credit for figuring things out in the first place.

post #20 of 63 Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Fantastic thread! I'm glad I chose a 2008 Wee, which apparently has a bit more juice than the 2002-2007 version. I don't generally run much heated gear, but it's good to know that I could add some more if I felt like doing so. Of course, I need to actually take posession of the bike before I get too carried away... heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alternator , electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode