Top Box for 2012 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Top Box for 2012

Hello All,

Just wondered if anyone has info. about top box fitment on the '12... I had a JC Whitney box on my '09 DL 650 and it worked fine for the two years I had it... it appears that JC Whitney no longer has the large version - only the 31 liter, and it looks like Sears no longer carries it (Sears had the same box as JC Whitney) - I have to admit I am looking for cheap...LOL...

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

BestemUSA. They advertise on the bottom of the forum home page.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had a Bestem top box on my K6 and swapped it to my 2012 bike.

There's a little less space under the new rack for mounting hardware, but it did fit.

Pete

post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
I had a Bestem top box on my K6 and swapped it to my 2012 bike.

There's a little less space under the new rack for mounting hardware, but it did fit.

Pete
Which mounting kit did you use? I visited the Bestem web site but they didn't list V-Strom bikes (2012 or 2011 and earlier) under Suzuki. Is it installable with just the universal mounting stuff it comes with?

The 46L case looks awesome, if it's waterproof and easily mounts to the 2012 DL650AL2 with the brake light/LED kit, I think I'm sold!

Last edited by robardin; 02-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy

No, I don't have any info on top box fittings for 2012s.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Which mounting kit did you use? I visited the Bestem web site but they didn't list V-Strom bikes (2012 or 2011 and earlier) under Suzuki. Is it installable with just the universal mounting stuff it comes with?

The 46L case looks awesome, if it's waterproof and easily mounts to the 2012 DL650AL2 with the brake light/LED kit, I think I'm sold!
Yes. It helped to have a hacksaw, with the metal rack I had to trim one of the mounting bars down to get it to fit neatly. Not sure if the resin rack on the L2 has the same problem because the bar was already trimmed down by then.

If you have problems - as it "This looks impossible" , unbolt the rack , fit the top box plate then bolt the rack back down. Probably easier as tightening the nuts underneath is a bear anyway.

Pete
post #7 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Anyone happen to have an orange top box to match the '12 Wee?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Shad 42 litre, I have now, is a much better box,as are all their models, both larger & smaller, than the JC Whitney Chinese stuff. I did use a Chinese box from Ebay that was cheaper than JC W. & the same box as the JC stuff. Shad discontinued them, so look for a deal on the web and their boxes come with the mtg plate included, so less$$$ than Givi and to me the quality is as good. Shad makes boxes for BMW & other bike mfgs.. The main seller in Miami truly sucks(I got a lemon 1st time around) but you buy from the retailers, not them. Google Shad cases & the one in TX is great! I forgot their name?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Yes. It helped to have a hacksaw, with the metal rack I had to trim one of the mounting bars down to get it to fit neatly. Not sure if the resin rack on the L2 has the same problem because the bar was already trimmed down by then.

If you have problems - as it "This looks impossible" , unbolt the rack , fit the top box plate then bolt the rack back down. Probably easier as tightening the nuts underneath is a bear anyway.

Pete
I got my 46L Bestem top case yesterday. Thanks for the advice on the hacksaw, I definitely needed to trim some pieces of the mounting bars to get it to look neat. I also had to hack off a bit of the ends off the provided bolts to get it to fit on the 2012 DL650's rack, at least the way I installed it. And then it was a bear, as you put it, to get the nuts tightened underneath (forget about those lock washers). Fortunately I had the right tools to jury rig a way to do it.

Like you, it only occured to me after doing all this that it probably would have been easier to drill holes in the "universal" adapter plate provided to line up with where the holes were on the bike's rack, and then just to bolt the plate onto the rack without the brackets, than to saw off pieces of the bracket pieces. And to visit a hardware store to get M8 metric bolts in a shorter length if that's what I needed... But I wasn't sure my drill bits were strong enough to drill through the metal plate, and I had a hacksaw handy (as well as a few spare M8 sized bolts with nuts that were shorter than the ones the case came with).

That said, I really like the box. I haven't wired the brake lights yet but the capacity is perfect - I can fit my entire set of riding gear (pants, jacket, boots) and still get the lid shut. Which means in the summer I can get off the bike, get comfortable (put on sneakers or sandals) and not carry anything with me when I get to my destination! And in colder weather where I would be wearing my jacket and boots off the bike, I can easily fit pants and helmet in there no problem. (Gloves go inside the helmet)
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Like you, it only occured to me after doing all this that it probably would have been easier to drill holes in the "universal" adapter plate provided to line up with where the holes were on the bike's rack, and then just to bolt the plate onto the rack without the brackets, than to saw off pieces of the bracket pieces.
That is what I did on my '06. I used the front two factory holes and then used the metal strap for the rear of the rack.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode