StromTrooper banner

Fork brace on 2012 DL650AL2

32K views 95 replies 46 participants last post by  Operator7G 
#1 ·
I can't find a clear picture and I don't have my bike yet. Does anybody know for sure if the old fork brace will fit on the new model?

#2 ·
It will....

#4 ·
Rick's fork brace at least fitted on my AL2.

However, I did have to loosen up the front guard bolts so I could wriggle it into place, then retighten - it's a tighter fit.

The effect was different on the AL2 from my K6, the front suspension on the AL2 is better than the K6 and the bike wallowed less to start with but for some reason the suspension became silky smooth after adding the brace. (May have been due to loosening the axle pinch bolts and bouncing the bike a few times).

You still get the benefits in strong winds so yes, still very worthwhile.

Pete

#6 ·
So is it a consensus that the fork brace is a worthwhile addition to the 2012?

I'm suffering from a very serious case of farkle fever lol....

#7 ·
I got one and don't even have the bike yet. I stood in front of a bike without a brace and put a foot on each side of the front tire, holding it in place. I wiggled the handlebars and watched the front fender move back and forth above the top of the tire.

#12 ·
All,

A note about installing the fork brace.

Please loosen the front axle pinch bolt AND loosen the front axle several turns. This will give you the room necessary to install the brace easily.

The brace is designed to match the distance between the fork tubes exactly. A little extra wiggle room is needed between the fork tubes to slide the brace in. The front axle is designed to thread into the opposite side fork tubes pullling the ends of the tubes together, so unthreading it a little is necessary to get the wiggle room.

Remember to button it all up again before riding.

Rick
aka, richlandrick

#16 ·
Probably a good idea to modify your webpage descriptions for items not designed for 2012 Wees now.

I know the fork brace and mirror extenders still work fine, but I'm guessing a few other items do not, ie, shelf and gps bracket.

I guess this begs the obvious question.....any plans to make some of your great farkles for the new Wee?

#15 ·
There is now a web page. Yippee! Bookmarked.

#20 ·
The pinch bolt and axle access are on the bottom of the left fork leg as you sit on the bike. The pinch bolt is at the extreme bottom under the axle end. That should be enough. The fork lag can move over the axle end when the pinch bolt is loosened so I don't see how loosening the axle will change anything. You can see the silver bolt head against the bottom of the black fork leg in this pic.

#22 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
Sold out?

Forkbrace FB65 Price: $80.00 Retail Price: $80.00 (Save $0.00)

Quantity:

Checking availability.
This item is not available online.
Sold out!

The Forkbrace (FB65) is designed for the V-STROM DL650. It improves steering stability both ON and Off Road. The benifits are felt immediately, are far from subtle, and include a more solid or planted feel both in straight lines and curves, dramatically reduces wandering, and a significant reduction in the evil effects of sidewinds. A simple, fast, and easy bolt on installation. Improves performance without modifying the suspension.
  • Constructed of 6061-T6 aircraft grade billet aluminum and powdercoated to match the fork legs. Once installed the brace looks like it came on the bike from the factory.
  • Instructions
  • Product Reviews
  • Image gallery of the product (select the 'Insert Photo Gallery' button from the toolbar)

#26 ·
Send an e-mail to rickhughes805@hotmail.com
The new web site looks to be under construction and may not be fully functional. The FAQ is in Latin for example. The prices are current though.

#27 ·
Another satisfied customer

Just received my fork brace yesterday and installed last night. I was able to gently tap it into position without loosening the axial pinch bolt.

Good looking, well made product. Good email followup after ordering and prompt delivery. Two thumbs up. :hurray:

#28 ·
Just received my fork brace yesterday and installed last night. I was able to gently tap it into position without loosening the axial pinch bolt.

Good looking, well made product. Good email followup after ordering and prompt delivery. Two thumbs up. :hurray:
O.K. now go back and do it properly this time ;)

You don't need to take the brace back off, but you REALLY REALLY do need to loosen that pinch bolt, bounce the suspension a few times, then re-tighten to make sure that the suspension components are lined up. If you don't do that it can be tight one end or the other, which isn't good. (It can cause extra wear on the bushes if nothing else).

Pete

#31 ·
I had a 200 mile ride today, highway and twisters.
The fork brace made the Wee become a little locomotive.

No more head shaking on the highway when a truck is in front, no more side winds causing a high blood pressure, and I'm leaning into curves much easier.

The best farkle in the bike.

#32 · (Edited)
I also just took my first ride with the brace - 150 miles early in the morning along the Coast Mountains with some nasty headwinds and crosswinds coming in off the ocean.

A buddy of mine on an SV650 said he was getting pushed all over the road. Mentioned that the Strom looked extremely planted, and in all honesty while I felt the wind on my body and helmet, the bike tracked absolutely true. Also rode some broken pavement today and it held its line like a champ.

+10,000. Best return on farkle investment, ever.

#34 ·
It will fit.

#35 ·
Installed my forkbrace from Richland Rick a few weeks ago on my AL2. Easy payment and fast shipping. I loosened my axel pinch bolt and the brace slipped right on with no problems.

Completely changed how the bike handles. I don't get blown around as much and my bike is not as easily affected by the rain grooves on the highway. Handling feels rock solid and much more responsive compared to before the brace. I have more confidence entering corners.

Very happy with the mod! :mod_biggrin:

#37 ·
$80 - Really . . .

can make a difference. Just got back from about 60 miles of I-25 and C470 with all the wonderful rain grooves, gusty Colorado cross winds, and over-revving drivers. The Rickland brace went on smoothly, and I noticed the difference on the first low speed turn. The highway riding way already smooth on the bike. Now, the rain grooves are gone.

I have no affiliation with the make of the brace or any other interest. I am also very skeptical of quick fixes. My experience with the SV for 4 years left me very nervous about smaller bikes on the highway.

This bike will be with me for some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.