2012 Wee for a guy who's 6' 6" ?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 Wee for a guy who's 6' 6" ??

Hello again everyone.

I've been saving for a year now to buy a new S10, and I am ready to buy in the next two or three weeks.

I had a 2009 Wee which I put about 10K miles on in a year. I didn't have any issues with it other than a little buffeting. I was running the 1000 seat on it.

There's a thread over on ADVrider talking about how much smaller the new Wee is physically than the older models.

Haven't had a chance to see a new one yet, but I feel like I should before I pull any triggers....

Now that some of you are getting your new bikes, how does it compare size wise to you? Would a tall guy look like a circus clown on a tricycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

The only comment I've had from taller riders is that the narrowing of the seat doesn't work for them. The bulge in the plastic below the seat catches their boots or calves standing.

My knees also tuck nicely under the tank, if you have long calves, you might have problems there as well.

The new model is more agile than the old and less bulky, but other than the comments above, it's really no shorter - and there's a 20mm taller seat available.

I'd seriously suggest you go sit on one, I tried the S10 as well and the only thing I didn't like was the weight - you couldn't really feel it riding, but I've had to pick my bike up solo a couple of times and drag it out of mud , I didn't need more power but less weight, hell yes .

The new DL is a really nice bike and a short test ride killed any thoughts of another model.

Pete
post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Pete, that was my fear.

I've been on the Tenere twice and I love it. I am also 265-270 lbs and quite strong so I didn't notice the weight. I tried the new Triumph 800XC and the tank cutout (which unfortunately looks kind of like the new Wee) hit me right in the middle of my knees.

I really like the looks of the Wee and I also really like the price. I'll have to see about it.

Sounds like the S10 may be the bike for me.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I doubt the plastic bits that Kiwi complained about are show stoppers. They are just the bits of black plastic between the seat and the frame, I am sure you could reshape them with a heat gun. Or at worst a cutting wheel and some vinyl / fiberglass.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm 6' 0". I was fortunate enough to be able to compare the old Wee next to the new one at a motorcycle show yesterday.

While I liked the appearance and build quality of the new Wee (did you notice they put a nice rubber edge on the gas tank seam when you look down the forks?!)

I found that the seat to peg distance is less, the knee is bent more, as confirmed by cycle-ergo.com. This can be fixed by an available 20mm raised seat, but it doesn't solve another issue. The new bike's tank makes it so that when I hug the new bike, only a 3" puck sized area on the inside of my knees/thighs makes contact with the tank, whereas on the old bike, I could squeeze together and the entire inner thigh would "hold" the bike, it felt really secure, and no pressure points. Also because of shape of the tank, my knees feel like they are an extra 3" apart compared to the old bike.

It's a deal-breaker for me on 2 counts 1) I can imagine that those puck shaped places on my legs will get red and irritated on long rides 2) the bike will feel less secure in turns, a more detached feel 3) on cold days the wind will be able to pass between the bike and my thighs, accelerating fatique.

Do I sound like I'm nitpicking? lol

2006 DL-650 Silver Blue (33,000km)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I too am 6'0 and long of leg, but not what you might be at 6'6"!

I found the seat height just right, a bit tall, but the leg room was certainly tight, peg lowering kit and using my Airhawk seat cushion gives me about 1 3/4" extra leg room and it's just right.

The bike in no way feels "small" to me (coming from a K1100 BMW) as it sits up and is spread out, but you might be a little tight in the legs.

I sat on an S10 and although it certainly felt heavier, it didn't feel any taller or roomier to me.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #7 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the new Wee is pretty huge for a 650 motorcycle. Wheelbase is LONG and it's tall. No way at 6'6" it's going to be like riding on a pitbike. I bet it will fit taller people just fine.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVdave View Post
Hello again everyone.

I've been saving ... to buy a new S10, and I am ready...
I had a 2009 Wee which I put about 10K miles on in a year. I didn't have any issues with it other than a little buffeting. I was running the 1000 seat on it.

how much smaller the new Wee is physically ...

Haven't had a chance to see a new one yet, but I feel like I should before I pull any triggers....

Would a tall guy look like a circus clown on a tricycle?
The size difference between the new & old model is negligible. If you were happy with the fit of the old one, it shouldn't take much to dial in the new one. At most, the tall seat, (or a custom), peg lowering kit, and perhaps bar risers.

There are lot's of reasons to buy a super T over a wee, but I doubt that getting the new we to fit is one of them. If you really want the s10, get it, you'll love it and it's a lot more bike than a strom. If you fancy an inexpensive, realiable, versatile all arounder with more refined styling, suspension, brakes and power than your last wee, get the 2012 wee.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Cool

You might want to consider a new DL1000 also.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSTROM View Post
You might want to consider a new DL1000 also.
I initially wanted a DL1000, and would have got one if it had the same features and design of the new 650. I really dont know why they did not upgrade the 1000, oh well, I am happy with my wee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode