SW Motech mounting tips on 2012 DL650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

SW Motech mounting tips on 2012 DL650

I mounted the SW Motech skid plate, crash guards, center stand, and side racks yesterday on a 2012 650. Here's a few things to consider. This was my first use of SW Motech accessories and they seem pretty well made.

If you are going to mount the skid plate and center stand, do the skid plate first. There are two bolts for the rear skid plate bracket that screw through the frame on the left side. They are probably much easier to get to without the center stand mounted. You can barely see the head of the rear (of two) below. For the curious, the rear mount is highlighted GREEN in the photo. Remember to grease the stand pivots before assembly.

The instructions for mounting the side racks tell you to temporarily remove the rear fender and relocate the rear turn signals on a short mount they provide. Then they want you to lengthen the wires for the signals using a piece of wire they send that's about 3 inches long and blue butt crimp splices. They have you routing the wire under the new mount and back into the same hole it was in originally. I didn't like the idea of using crimp splices which aren't so reliable after a few years. Additionally there wasn't going to be a good way to hide them either. Instead, we decided to drill a small hole under the tail light and route the uncut original wire in through there. Unless you squat down behind the bike, you'll not likely notice the wire routing at all. If you go this "route", work out the location of the hole by looking at the inside of the black fender and noting the location of the tail light inside.

Turn signal wire routing...

And the relocator mount without the wire wrapped under and through it...

And about those little black plastic push pins or rivets: This may have been covered elsewhere but newbies usually have trouble with these things. To remove them, first push IN on the center of the pin. Then use your fingernails if you have them and pull the entire thing out. To reinstall, push the center section to the outside until it clicks into position with the center sticking out a bit. Set the entire thing into the body work and push the center in until it clicks flush. There are two on each side you'll have to remove to get the rear fender section off...

Mark

Last edited by markdvk; 01-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the information and pictures, do you know if changes were made to the side luggage racks for the 2012, or will the Givi and other side racks work on the new model ??
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I can't say if the parts from the older versions will fit the new bike. This is the first I've personally installed. I suspect that at least the crash guards from some of the vendors. The brand I used sells the skid plate and engine guards separate for the new version but in a set for the old bike. From photos, it appears that the old version crash guards support the front of the skid plate. Not so on the new bike.

One thing I found on the side racks is that the right one appears to follow the inward angle of the muffler instead of mounting parallel to the centerline of the bike. The left rack is closer in because there's no muffler and it looks to run straight. That will make the bike narrower at the tail but kind of off centered when viewed form the rear. These bikes aren't about chrome and bling anyway so you can choose form or function I guess.

Mark

Last edited by markdvk; 01-19-2012 at 05:20 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronw View Post
Thanks for the information and pictures, do you know if changes were made to the side luggage racks for the 2012, or will the Givi and other side racks work on the new model ??
There were changes to the bike that require all new kit. We have all of the standard stuff for the 2012 DL650 in stock for this bike: TwistedThrottle.com : ...by What Fits My Bike - Suzuki - V-Strom DL650, '12- -
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ordered from Twisted Throttle their SM top rack adaptor and their V28 fussion coocase, recieved a email saying both were out of stock and not to expect the order to be filled until march 16. Not sure why they say the SM top rack is in stock from the above. Wonder why it takes so long to get back in stock?

Last edited by OrangeDude; 01-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Any pics to share of your bike after adding the crash bars?

And, how protective are they really of the bike in case of a fall? I thought of them as a must-have for the pre-2012 Wee, but was thinking of forgoing the crash bars on the 2012 because of the plastic side panels on the tank. They're advertised as being "much cheaper" than repairing or replacing the side of a metal tank that got damaged by a spill... I know those plastic side panels would still cost $$$ to replace, probably more than crash bars would, but I like the clean look of the bike without the bars. And I plan on getting hand guards to protect the levers in a fall.

How about "frame sliders", never had them but as I understand it, they serve the same purpose (preventing the tank / engine from hitting the ground in a fall) but are much lower profile?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just shipped a pair of handguards back to cyclegear.com, they were the type with the aluminum bar running from the end of the grip to an articulating bracket by the mirror mount. I could not get them mounted in a way that they did not bang into the dash at full turn of the handlebars, so I gave up on installing them. I rode over to motorcycleusa yesterday and picked up some Moose Racing spring loaded guards, they mount only by the mirror mount, so I'm hoping they will be OK. I also picked up a frame slider, used, here, and installed it the other night. I don't know yet how protective it will be in a tip over. I had Givi guards on the 07 DL1000, and when it did tip over in the parking lot, one or both of two things happened, the guard got bent right into the bodywork, damaging it, or it broke the weld on the guard, vibrating and rattling until it was pulled, bent back to shape, and re-welded. It seems, if the bike tips, or falls, there will be some maintenance or parts replacement or repair anyway. I have my bike sitting on a old piece of carpet in the garage, maybe when I have a friend over, we'll gently lay it down on it's side, at least to see what part(s) contact the ground first.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Turn Signal Extensions

Does anyone know if the turn signal extensions sold by Easter Beaver would keep you from having to cut the rear turn signal wires while relocating them to install the SW-Motech racks? Here is a link:

Suzuki VStrom Electrics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
center stand , glee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode